06-09 O-ring chain

7 replies to this topic
  • Yamiryder

Posted February 05, 2012 - 03:06 PM

I have an 07 yz450 and i had an o-ring chain on it all last season. I noticed that it had been rubbing a little, but i thought it was just on the chain guide. I took the swing arm and linkage off today to grease them, and while cleaning the back of the motor, i realized that my chain has been rubbing on the inside of my frame. Anybody else have this problem?

• crf450319

Posted February 05, 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hey,

Yep, the wear you're talking about is incredibly common and won't have any negative effect on the frame itself. I'm on my 2nd '09 yz450 and both of them have that wear, resist the urge to over tighten the chain... bad things can happen !

• Yamiryder

Posted February 05, 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yeah i know about not over tightening the chain. I wasn't too worried about the chain, but i guess i was just seeing if anyone did something to prevent it.

• crf450319

Posted February 05, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yeah i know about not over tightening the chain. I wasn't too worried about the chain, but i guess i was just seeing if anyone did something to prevent it.

I've heard of some people securing some sort of slider to the inside of the frame there, although I can't remember how they did it or what they used.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:38 PM

I've heard of some people securing some sort of slider to the inside of the frame there, although I can't remember how they did it or what they used.

Someone sent me a gizmo like that to look at. It was basically a narrow "U" channel shape that bolts under the normal chain slider so the chain ran through it like a guide. I never ran it. My concern was that it was fairly light gauge aluminum, and that the chain would catch an edge on the way past and wad the whole thing up in the middle of nowhere one day. Some Super Moto bikes run something like that to keep the chain off the rear tire, but many of those are only extended upward on the tire side.

It is common to the point of being normal. But I think you're right about it not being of too much importance unless a lot of damage is done. I believe that wheel alignment can contribute to the problem by setting up a lateral whipping effect, so the closer to perfect it is the better.

• Yamiryder

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:30 PM

well i hasn't caused much damage yet so i think it will be fine for now. I'll keep an eye on it now.

• Jake800

Posted February 22, 2012 - 09:23 PM

your chain is wore out. it has too much side slap

• Yamiryder

Posted February 23, 2012 - 04:20 PM

your chain is wore out. it has too much side slap

It might be a little wore out, but i think its still ok. I had a regular stock chain on there before that was wore out and it didn't rub on the frame.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.