2011 YZ450 will start, but then dies

11 replies to this topic
  • occrfmx

Posted February 05, 2012 - 07:57 AM

The bike is 9 months old and has 35 hours on it. I have never had any mechanical issues with it. All stock except for foot pegs and bar risers. I haven't ridden it in 2 months and took it to the track yesterday. Rode fine for 30 minutes. Then it started dying when I came to a stop with the clutch pulled in. Then it got worse where it would start and then die 10 seconds later.

Is it possible that the gasoline went bad? My gas container has gas probably 3 months old. I filled it up while I was riding. Maybe the gas that was in it was OK, but as I added gas from the container, the proportion of bad gas increased making it run worse and worse? The other thing I noticed before having stalling problems is that the kill switch seemed like I had to push it down more to stop the engine, maybe the kill switch is going out. Any ideas?

• rickallen124

Posted February 05, 2012 - 01:29 PM

I would try dumping the gas out and putting some fresh gas in as gas doesn't store very well anymore and even worse if it has ethanol. Gas with ethanol attracts water, so if you live in a humid area you could have quite a bit of water in your fuel.

• yz450fcranker

Posted February 05, 2012 - 01:52 PM

clean the pipes hoses check fuel pump that should get you going

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2012 - 02:04 PM

Ethanol, like all alcohol, absorbs water, and it will pull in from the air if it's exposed to enough damp air long enough. The upside, though is that if the alcohol in the fuel absorbs the water, it will at least flow through the system freely and not clog things up the way it does in straight gasoline. In fact, a pint of alcohol in the tank is a standard method of chasing water out of a contaminated fuel system. Water in the alcohol in the fuel does degrade the energy content of the gas, though, and can cause the kind of problem you're complaining of. Fresh fuel is a good place to start.

• occrfmx

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Just swapped the gas out and here are the symptoms:

Very hard to start
Back fires while I am kicking it over
When does start, I have to keep the throttle open or it will die (won't idle)

Now I'm thinking it needs valves adjusted...would that be the next thing to try?

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:44 PM

It never hurts. And yes, tight valves can make the bike "cranky" when cold. Is your compression low?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • occrfmx

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yes, when I kick it, does feel like less compression.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:41 PM

Check the clearance.

• occrfmx

Posted February 15, 2012 - 08:29 AM

My mechanic says it is the fuel pump (just tested with another fuel pump). Any ideas how it could have gone bad so soon? Could bad gas have contributed?

• niles

Posted February 15, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Could it have been a bad/corroded/dirty connection to your fuel pump.

• chris856

Posted February 17, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yes, when I kick it, does feel like less compression.

how would you get less compression from a faulty fuel pump? or was it just in your head lol?

• occrfmx

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Yah, it was in my head I guess :bonk:. I think it was because I was kicking it so much it started feeling light. It has started on first or second kick since I bought it. Bike is running good now that fuel pump was replaced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.