Jetting help please

91 replies to this topic
  • Leardriver

Posted February 18, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Are you sure that you're not hitting the rev limiter? That bike will run fine at your altitude and temperature with a 160, 162, or 165. I would leave a 162 in it.

• Stealth13

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'm positive because if I give it like 70 percent throttle it will keep going

• sasqach

Posted February 19, 2012 - 02:05 AM

what about where your hotstart cable enters the carb. anything getting stuck there?

• Stealth13

Posted February 19, 2012 - 02:10 AM

How do I check that?

When I changed the jet I couldn't see it but I felt 2 needles, one is bent against the side wall and the other goes into the jet, is that right ?

• miweber929

Posted February 19, 2012 - 05:07 AM

It seems like you are a little hard if hearing so I'll try to speak up and make sure you hear the question we've asked like 100 times:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR FREE MODS? Is the peashooter still installed? Is the airbox still stock? If it is you need to do that stuff to get it to run out. And a JD kit will solve all jetting issues in one swoop, that's why they sell them. Whoever told you to buy jets one at a time should be ignored as you've never done this before.

Until you uncork the power Yamaha intended you will always have a poor running bike. And jetting will be suspect until the bike can breathe.

When you say top end jittering/bogging are you bouncing off the rev limiter? What throttle position are you having the stumble? Have you done ANY changes at all to the bike since you got it, no matter how insignificant?

Even corked up it should run out so it might be something else but we've repeatedly asked questions which you keep ignoring then run back and say its not better. Replacing jets from a 160 to a 172 means you have no idea what's up or where you are going. Either find a friend that does or take it to a shop to be looked at before you kill a perfectly good ride.

Mike

• W R

Posted February 19, 2012 - 07:58 AM

So I am not really following what you are saying? What jet is next???? :bonk: :lol:

These questions seem odly familiar :lol:

• Stealth13

Posted February 19, 2012 - 08:23 AM

It seems like you are a little hard if hearing so I'll try to speak up and make sure you hear the question we've asked like 100 times:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR FREE MODS? Is the peashooter still installed? Is the airbox still stock? If it is you need to do that stuff to get it to run out. And a JD kit will solve all jetting issues in one swoop, that's why they sell them. Whoever told you to buy jets one at a time should be ignored as you've never done this before.

Until you uncork the power Yamaha intended you will always have a poor running bike. And jetting will be suspect until the bike can breathe.

When you say top end jittering/bogging are you bouncing off the rev limiter? What throttle position are you having the stumble? Have you done ANY changes at all to the bike since you got it, no matter how insignificant?

Even corked up it should run out so it might be something else but we've repeatedly asked questions which you keep ignoring then run back and say its not better. Replacing jets from a 160 to a 172 means you have no idea what's up or where you are going. Either find a friend that does or take it to a shop to be looked at before you kill a perfectly good ride.

Mike

The only mods it has are the yz screw and the Grey wire, everything else is stock. I would think that if it didn't have the yz screw it wouldn't have the stuttering issue, but then it would have no power either. It's not bouncing off the limiter because if I go 80 percent throttle it will keep going.

As for that needle can someone tell me if the one should be pushed against the side, and the other one in the jet?

• W R

Posted February 19, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I have a simple fix that no one has probably thought of yet.

Do a search here on TT of "uncorking 2006 WR450F". You must do these things to make your bike run good! :bonk: You can also do the same search on the net. There are a bazillion threads on how to do this :lol: :lol:
Next purchase a JDY001 - Yamaha YZ400 / 426 / 450F (98-05), WR400 / 426 / 450F (98-06). $75.95. You must do this after you uncork your bike to make it run good! :lol:

Do these things and :cry:

Dont do these things :lol:

Get the picture :lol:

Edited by Weekend Rider, February 19, 2012 - 09:01 AM.

• Stealth13

Posted February 19, 2012 - 03:34 PM

I have no idea how to do any of that, I figured out the main jet thanks to the instructions posted on here

• W R

Posted February 20, 2012 - 09:19 PM

I have no idea how to do any of that, I figured out the main jet thanks to the instructions posted on here

Please answer each of the following questions
1. Did you read my entire post?
2. Do you know how to do a search on TT (Thumpertalk)? If not we can walk you through that.
3. If yes to #2 did you do a search on TT on how to uncork your bike.There will be step by step instructions on how to do this.
4. Did you type in how to uncork my 06 wr450f on your web browswer? There are many post about it and you can find many Youtubes showing you how to do these things.
5. Once you uncork your bike you again will need to jet it. I say for you only go with the JD Jet kit as again it will give you step by step instructions.
6. Do you know if your AIS has been removed? If not sure there is a Youtube showing you exactly how to do it.

Do all of these things and I am telling you, you will think you have the most bad ass bike ever. The one you are riding right now is not half the bike it wil be if you uncork it, remove the AIS and Re-Jet.

Weekend

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted February 20, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Will that jd kit make my mileage go to crap?

• W R

Posted February 20, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Will that jd kit make my mileage go to crap?

No it is going to give you everything you need to get your bike jetted correct. Look them up on the net. Don't bother though unless you plan on Uncorking your bike. Don't bother doing anything in my opinion unless you are going to uncork your bike!

I think what most of us are saying is, if you want your bike to run GOOD then you need to uncork your bike and rejet it.

Uncork your bike!

Look it up and let me say again, uncork your bike!

• W R

Posted February 20, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hey I am sure from reading on here you do not have much experience. Doesn't matter. Get rid of your worries and read just a little bit. Turns out it is really easy stuff and you can get step by step instructions.

Uncork your bike.

• Stealth13

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'm just worried that after I uncork and do the jet kit with ais removal that it might still not fix it and I have a different issue that I have no idea what it is

• W R

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:46 PM

I'm just worried that after I uncork and do the jet kit with ais removal that it might still not fix it and I have a different issue that I have no idea what it is

Whether or not you have a diffierent issue your bike will NEVER, I mean NEVER run correctly with out doing those things. Once they are done then you will have something to work with.

You must uncork the bike before it will truley ever run correct no matter what you do.

Let me say again. Uncork the bike.

Does anyone else agree with me that he should uncork the bike?

• W R

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:52 PM

If you see by my signature I have an 2011 and 2006 WR450. Neither one of them ran correctly until un restricted the exhaust, opened up the air box, removed the AIS and re jetted them. Holly shit what a difference that made. Completely different bike. Then if you are still having troubles with the jetting, JD of JD Jet kits will ask you a few questions of what has been done to your bike, how you jetted it according to his instructions and then he will tell you the next best move.

Of the 5 bikes in my garage I have JD Jetted 4 of them and they have been perfect first try following his instructions. Plus the 3 bikes that are no longer in my garage too got the JD Jet kit and they were also spot on. I am a fan of the JD Jet kit.

Uncork your bike.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 21, 2012 - 04:24 AM

Weekend, While I definately agree with you about his bike needing all of the de-restrictions you mentioned, I've come to the conclusion that he just can't figure it out, even with our help. I think at this point he just needs to send it to someone that knows what there doing. Stealth, I know that came across as harsh, but there has been a ton of us trying to help you, and we've gotten no where. Do yourself a huge favor and find someone that can fix your bike, but stand there and look over his shoulder and ask questions, so you can learn from him/her. Trying to fix your issue over the internet, with the boggling info given to us, is just nearly impossible. Again, I apologize if this comes across as rather harsh, I'm just saying that without us right beside your bike, hearing it for ourselves, it's very hard to diagnose. And after you get it fixed, post on here what the mechanic did, so we all can learn what was wrong. This way we all learn, and it's documented!!! Maniac

• Stealth13

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:22 AM

If you see by my signature I have an 2011 and 2006 WR450. Neither one of them ran correctly until un restricted the exhaust, opened up the air box, removed the AIS and re jetted them. Holly shit what a difference that made. Completely different bike. Then if you are still having troubles with the jetting, JD of JD Jet kits will ask you a few questions of what has been done to your bike, how you jetted it according to his instructions and then he will tell you the next best move.

Of the 5 bikes in my garage I have JD Jetted 4 of them and they have been perfect first try following his instructions. Plus the 3 bikes that are no longer in my garage too got the JD Jet kit and they were also spot on. I am a fan of the JD Jet kit.

Uncork your bike.

What kind of issue were you having before uncorking and jetting it?

And yes maniac I will watch someone install the stuff so I can learn

Edited by Stealth13, February 21, 2012 - 07:25 AM.

• Stealth13

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:36 PM

So I was about to sell the bike, then decided to give it one more chance, took it to a mechanic and he removed the pea shooter and tuned the fuel screw without changing any jets.

I took it for a ride, stuck it in 2nd and gave it a good throttle pull and the wheel popped right up, no stuttering at all.

So the issue is solved and I love the bike now :bonk:

• Snarfie

Posted February 22, 2012 - 05:47 AM

So I was about to sell the bike, then decided to give it one more chance, took it to a mechanic and he removed the pea shooter and tuned the fuel screw without changing any jets.

I took it for a ride, stuck it in 2nd and gave it a good throttle pull and the wheel popped right up, no stuttering at all.

So the issue is solved and I love the bike now :bonk:

So, you're saying you finally did what we have been telling you to do for days, but wouldn't attempt because you were too scared to touch your own bike... and now it magically runs great?

Amazing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.