2010 YZ450F water issues?

16 replies to this topic
  • williec

Posted February 04, 2012 - 02:10 PM

So today i am out riding and i usually try to avoid the mud and water, but i figured i could pull a wheelie over it. turns out it was super deep. and i got suck in the middle. I knew the breather hose was on the bottom of the motor, so before it could suck up toooo much water, i shut it off. I tugged and pulled it out of the water, making sure none went inot the pipe or up to the air boke. I got it out of the water, which was about thigh deep and fired it up and kept riden. after about 20 mins it started to making a funny knock.....that i wasnt use too, so i called it a day. when i got home i drained the oil and saw that it was grey..........water.....&%$#@!. coolant full, so not the head......gotta be the breather tube....right. and when i drained it, it seemed like a little more then the required quart was in there. Also the the front oil drain bolt did't have any oil come out............am i screwed :bonk: , is it a major issue, or a easy fix.......thanks thumper buds! :smirk:

• williec

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Wow, still no replies....lol. well i drained and flushed the oil today. when i pulled my air filter is was squished, i have a cleanable one, but it looked like some one twisted it....kinda strange. so i put a disposable one back in and fired it up. it was a pain to start and still had a vicous knock. so i re drained the oil again. is was less milky, but no oil came out of the front drain hole again. i think i really jacked it up. is it my oil pump?? my cam and valves from not getting oil. i am super confused. help me out thumper buds....

• williec

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:57 AM

My first post might be alittle confusing. it really doesnt read well, so i will re-explain. today while riding, i got water in my motor, through my crank case breather hose. i thought i was doing the right thing by shutting it off, but after reviewing thumper talk post, i see that it will only suck in water the last couple of strokes that the motor is running, so as long as you do not shut it off, you should be fine............well this is the opposite of what i did......i shutter down lol. well now it is jacked.......what should i do?

• DC_Excitement

Posted February 05, 2012 - 09:33 AM

damm man i wish i was next to the bike so i could hear it, in the manual there is a simple way to check for oil pressure, did you try that? if thats good you must of bent something in the top end of the motor.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2012 - 09:49 AM

The biggest concern I have in reading this is that you aren't getting oil from the front drain. The way it works is you pour oil into the crankcase, the engine pumps it to the "tank" in front where the sight glass is, and then another pump sends it under pressure to the crank, top end, and trans. If you put a quart in and run the engine for a minute, then drain it 80% of the oil should come from the front drain. If you're getting the whole quart from the rear, and none from the front, you may have sucked up some mud with the water and jammed the return pump, shearing off the drive pin. Remove the right crankcase cover and pull the clutch, the disassemble the pump for an inspection.

You should give some serious thought to tearing the whole thing down and cleaning it out thoroughly.

• BBrown626

Posted February 06, 2012 - 06:50 PM

You may have broken the scavenge pump. I recently broke the pump and the oil passage in the left side cover. The oil flows through a passage in the engine case over through a hole in into the left side cover, right next to the flywheel. It flows up and forward and then goes from the left side cover back into the case, dumping into the tank. Check the pump, but look at the left side cover too.

• williec

Posted February 10, 2012 - 06:02 AM

so i finally got around to breaking the motor down. my oil pump was full of a clayish looking goop. i pulled the head and it had a little crud in there as well, when i pulled the cylinder the piston looked fine, but the cylinder had a groov on both sides. i am kinda thinking that this is not normal, but not sure if it is bad enough to replace. all the goop is out of the motor now, thanks to some brake cleaner and all the access points in the motot for oil. i pulled both sode covers and i dont see any in there. the only thing that is neglected is the transmission, but i think after a few quarts ran through it, i should be fine. how bad is too bad for grooves on the cylinder??

• williec

Posted February 10, 2012 - 03:07 PM

the grooved in the cylinder are from the skirt. the rings are still in great shape annd the piston looks fine too. sho can the skrit put grooves up both sides of the cylinder wall. eveything looks to be in spec.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaryder29

Posted February 10, 2012 - 06:19 PM

How bad are the grooves? I've seen large grooves on the cylinder wall from the skirting before. It can be caused by not enough oil or in your case, large amounts of contaminates like dirt and mud.
I would have that cylinder honed and measured.

Edited by Yamaryder29, February 10, 2012 - 06:20 PM.

• throttle violence

Posted February 10, 2012 - 11:26 PM

iam sure you can plug the bottom of the breather hose and every few rides just unplug it and drain the excess oil
older 4strokes had that look into it for future deep water crossings(hate to have it happen again) maybe its possible somebody will know

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2012 - 09:03 AM

iam sure you can plug the bottom of the breather hose and every few rides just unplug it and drain the excess oil
older 4strokes had that look into it for future deep water crossings(hate to have it happen again) maybe its possible somebody will know

If you do that, the build up of crankcase pressure will blow out the first thing it can move out of the way, which will usually be the half-moons on the cam cover gasket. The breather is there because it's necessary.

• williec

Posted February 11, 2012 - 01:39 PM

The grooves are from the skirts. I am going to order a new cylinder and piston on monday. it just sucks that so much damage can happen due to a flaw in the design........i love the bike, but have some frustrations with it, especially since is it still newish.
I also plan on re-routing the breather hose before i ride again.

• williec

Posted February 11, 2012 - 01:41 PM

How bad are the grooves? I've seen large grooves on the cylinder wall from the skirting before. It can be caused by not enough oil or in your case, large amounts of contaminates like dirt and mud.
I would have that cylinder honed and measured.

The grooves wore down the nicklesil (Spell Check) coating so i think the cylinder is junk. unless you guys know a place that can re coat it.

• Yamaryder29

Posted February 11, 2012 - 02:16 PM

The grooves are from the skirts. I am going to order a new cylinder and piston on monday. it just sucks that so much damage can happen due to a flaw in the design........i love the bike, but have some frustrations with it, especially since is it still newish.
I also plan on re-routing the breather hose before i ride again.

It does suck, but I don't think it's a design flaw. No engine is made to run with clayish looking goop. When the cylinder has a lack of oil, or in your case, clayish looking goop (which thinned the oil), it heats that cylinder up and it doesn't take nikasil long to wear out when it is overheated for a long period of time. Just be happy that you caught it before your crank seized the rod bearing. You should probly take some extra time to inspect the rod bearing to be sure it is clean and free of any contaminates

• Mutley53

Posted February 11, 2012 - 06:47 PM

I would replace the cam chain while you have it apart. I swamped my bike once and even with clean oil it sounded horrible. I replaced the piston and cams (since I had it apart I put GYTR parts in, stock appeared to be in good condition) and the cam chain. Once rebuilt, the motor sounded as quiet as new.

• williec

Posted February 12, 2012 - 05:22 AM

It does suck, but I don't think it's a design flaw. No engine is made to run with clayish looking goop. When the cylinder has a lack of oil, or in your case, clayish looking goop (which thinned the oil), it heats that cylinder up and it doesn't take nikasil long to wear out when it is overheated for a long period of time. Just be happy that you caught it before your crank seized the rod bearing. You should probly take some extra time to inspect the rod bearing to be sure it is clean and free of any contaminates

The design flaw i am refeering too is the crank case breather hose, it sucks they routed it to the bottom of the frame. I am glad that the damage was minimal, just upest it sucked in the water in the first place

• DC_Excitement

Posted February 12, 2012 - 09:45 AM

The design flaw i am refeering too is the crank case breather hose, it sucks they routed it to the bottom of the frame. I am glad that the damage was minimal, just upest it sucked in the water in the first place

i agree, i found sand in my head from that breather, re rounting it to the airbox is a must.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.