Vid: enjoying time on the blue bike...

5 replies to this topic
  • HRC

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Have spent some more time on the -12 yz450 and just thought I post a little vid.

For those who hasn't made up their mind of what bike to buy next...I truly recommend the new generation yamis. It's alot of bashing going on regarding this bike but I can't truly understand it. OK if you are full blown pro, but for us doing only for the fun it is a awesome bike.

• powers450f

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Awesome video!! I am a fan of the new Yammie too!

• 1nd1anajones

Posted February 04, 2012 - 01:52 PM

I just got a new yz450 too, read alot of the 450 shoot outs and the yamaha was nearly always in last or second last but still wanted to go blue anyways because of reliability and it looks bad ass. The biggest complaint seem to be the bike felt unbalanced and the radiator shrouds seems too wide, which were not deal breakers in my books.

I got a couple questions...

What setup are you running for tires? just studs?
Did you have to do any changing to the FI for the cold?
How does the bike handle if you go in deeper snow?

Im curious because I wouldnt mind trying it out with my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HRC

Posted February 04, 2012 - 02:08 PM

I just got a new yz450 too, read alot of the 450 shoot outs and the yamaha was nearly always in last or second last but still wanted to go blue anyways because of reliability and it looks bad ass. The biggest complaint seem to be the bike felt unbalanced and the radiator shrouds seems too wide, which were not deal breakers in my books.

I got a couple questions...

What setup are you running for tires? just studs?
Did you have to do any changing to the FI for the cold?
How does the bike handle if you go in deeper snow?

Im curious because I wouldnt mind trying it out with my bike.

I use Trelleborg "Winterfriction" factory studded tires. Best tires for winterriding with out a doubt !

Posted Image

The stock map works great for winterriding so no problem with that, I have also tried some other maps and the best one for riding on snow/ice is the MXA recomended map called "hardpack". But as I said , the stock 2012 map works good as it is. (The 2011 stock map is a little more on and off so it might be better with a map that takes away that offidle jerky feel.)

If you go out in to the deep snow it is almost like when you drive your car in to a puddle of water....nothing I recommend. The track need to be plowed.

• Far916

Posted February 04, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thats an awesome video, it looks like winter does not slow you down one bit!!

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:25 PM

If you go out in to the deep snow it is almost like when you drive your car in to a puddle of water....nothing I recommend. The track need to be plowed.

Junior and I went up to a local riding area just to ride in the snow a couple years back. We had ridden there before when there was 1-3" on the ground at most, and had a blast on just normal knobbies (but the ground never really freezes here). This time, though it was a foot deep on the flats and the temp was around 34 ℉ (1 or 2 ℃) and it just plain didn't work. It was like riding on water or something because the tires wouldn't cut through to the dirt. So we loaded up the bikes with snow packed in every nook and cranny and rolled down the other side of the mountains to ride in the desert instead. When we got there, we still had snow in the wheels so we started a snowball fight in the desert while we unloaded. People were completely confused by this sight. Fun times.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.