Grease my WR

13 replies to this topic
  • norm02

Posted February 04, 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hey all, I'm picking up a brand new '11 WR next week and I've read the post on the free mods etc. I understand that they need to be greased when you first purchase them, however I'm not sure what type of grease to use. Other than the free mods and taking it for a spin, is there anything else that should be done when I first get it home? Thanks!

• GuyGraham

Posted February 04, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Just normal Lithium soap grease (often sold as wheel bearing grease) will do just fine

Castrol LM grease for example

• wrwest

Posted February 04, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Belray waterproof grease works great

• norm02

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Ok thanks. Is there any disassembly required to do this or just apply on the outside of the parts?

• GuyGraham

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:05 AM

You've got to dis-assemble the suspension linkage, and pull the swingarm out, and take out the yokes to be able ot grease the bearings - you can't just slap it on the outside

• MANIAC998

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:06 AM

Yes, there is lots of disassembly needed. That is if your going to do it properly. It's quite a bit of work, but very well worth it. Some people leave the "Poly Lube" in the bearings that the factory puts in there, I don't. Bel-Ray grease is good quality stuff. Maniac

• YamaLink

Posted February 07, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Usually a cold, wet miserably snowy rainy day is a perfect time to take the bike apart for regreasing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Usually a cold, wet miserably snowy rainy day is a perfect time to take the bike apart for regreasing.

That is the only time to do that job! LOL

• jw423

Posted February 14, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Belray water proof is great. :smirk:
I rode my new 09 for about half a dozen rides before digging into it. I had a little rust starting to collect on the swing arm bearings. I checked again this year after a year of riding and had 0 rust anywhere. The factory grease is no good. Get in there as soon as you can. Most of the bearings are needle bearings and are easy to get clean and repacked once removed. Careful not to loose any. The wheel bearings are sealed and you can either leave them or carefully open them up to re grease. I left them for the first year but opened them up this year.

Did the 2011 come with the detailed manual? If so it will guide you well.

Thanks to TT or I probably would have ended up with a messed up swing arm at some time!

• KGSloan

Posted February 15, 2012 - 09:20 AM

the poly lube grease isn't going to cause you any issues for the first bit of riding - i say get the bike and enjoy it for a while. mid season or end of season tear it down and do a yearly lube.....if you're going to go over the entire bike, may as well buy used! haha

• gsa102

Posted February 15, 2012 - 10:00 AM

It isn't really that much work to do it. Probably three hours start to finish the first time if you have an impact wrench and sockets to fit the bolts. Once you figure out how it comes apart and have the old junk out, it will be much faster.

• WR450FGreg

Posted February 18, 2012 - 01:03 AM

All I've ever used for the past 35-odd years of dirtbike riding and maintenance is plain old waterproof "boating" grease.
Any brand, Castrol, Shell, Mobil, BP, whatever.
Its readily available, cheap and works perfectly.
I've never had to replace a suspension/steering bearing in any bike that I've used it on.

Greg

• MANIAC998

Posted February 18, 2012 - 06:33 AM

It isn't really that much work to do it. Probably three hours start to finish the first time if you have an impact wrench and sockets to fit the bolts. Once you figure out how it comes apart and have the old junk out, it will be much faster.

Heck! It takes me far more than 3 hours to do just the steering head bearings!! Well, that's including removing every single bolt and putting never seize on it too. Maniac

• aussieklx

Posted February 18, 2012 - 03:34 PM

the poly lube grease isn't going to cause you any issues for the first bit of riding - i say get the bike and enjoy it for a while. mid season or end of season tear it down and do a yearly lube.....if you're going to go over the entire bike, may as well buy used! haha

I agree here. I disassembled my 04 earlier this year for dare i say the first time ������

Most of the bearings were still in good nick being protected by the poly lube, the swing arm ones were rooted however. But through research at the time the general feeling with the poly lube was that it was only used when yamaha felt like it lol some times nothing at all. Not sure if that has changed since then.

But if your bike has the poly lube id say youd be right for a bit of play riding here and there before you find the right cold and rainy day to attack it. But do not forget about it!!!!!!!!!!!

I used belray waterproof too. Good stuff imo

Edited by aussieklx, February 18, 2012 - 03:35 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.