Maybe.

• volitan

Posted February 03, 2012 - 08:44 AM

What makes you say maybe?

I've never seen oem or aftermarket ones

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:16 AM

What makes you say maybe?

The fact that I can't tell from those pictures whether it is or is not, but it could be. So, "maybe".

• volitan

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Ok

How can you tell if it is or not oem? Is there markings on wiseco or other aftermarkets ones or is there anyway of
Telling if it is an after market or not?

Do you need more
Pictures? What part of the piston i can take a pic of would make you be able to tell if it's oem or not?

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Why is it important?

• Yamaryder29

Posted February 03, 2012 - 06:26 PM

What do the pin circlips look like? Usually the stock ones are more traditional looking circlips. Most of the aftermarket ones I've seen are like a ring. IMO, it looks like stock.

• volitan

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:33 PM

It is important because I'm changing the rings and not the piston. So I want to make sure
I order the right ones.

The circlip is traditional looking;)

• 94cr rider

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:39 PM

looks stock

• umu24013

Posted February 04, 2012 - 01:01 AM

it is a stock '03 piston

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • volitan

Posted February 04, 2012 - 06:07 AM

Thanks alot guy!

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2012 - 08:03 AM

It is important because I'm changing the rings and not the piston. So I want to make sure
I order the right ones.

It would have helped to know that to start with. Any piston for the bike using the standard 3 ring setup will use OEM rings. The characters "5TA" or "5TJ" will likely be present somewhere on the underside of a stocker.

• umu24013

Posted February 04, 2012 - 10:00 AM

5TA
Posted Image

5TJ
Posted Image

• crf450319

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:50 AM

I order the right ones.

The circlip is traditional looking;)

Get used to having to explain yourself if you want any help here, there are some big ego's floating around that aren't willing to help out unless they're satisfied with "why" you need the info you're asking for. You'll catch the odd good guy like UMU24013, who will offer the info he has on his own..

• mud_mania121

Posted February 04, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Get used to having to explain yourself if you want any help here, there are some big ego's floating around that aren't willing to help out unless they're satisfied with "why" you need the info you're asking for. You'll catch the odd good guy like UMU24013, who will offer the info he has on his own..

+1 when i read this thread..

• 94cr rider

Posted February 04, 2012 - 01:26 PM

wen u do rings your supossed to replace the piston, rings,rist pin ,rist pin bearing , timeing chain

• volitan

Posted February 04, 2012 - 02:31 PM

As long as I get an answer I'm happy:).. But in a
Respectfull way.

Thank very much again. I guess next time I will make
Sure to say why I need to know some thing.. Even though it doesnt matter why I need to know it:).

94cr rider, you don't need to change everything in one shot... In my case I busted the clutch with a rock so I split the engine to make sure no metal went in ad I put new rings while I was at it.

• 94cr rider

Posted February 04, 2012 - 03:00 PM

ah

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2012 - 04:01 PM

If you want an accurate answer, you need to ask the question you actually want answered. The OP didn't do that. He wanted to know what rings to buy, but instead posted 3 low quality pics of a piston and asked if it was stock. I could have pulled the answer out of an orifice, but since I couldn't tell definitively from the evidence offered, I decided to find out why he wanted to know, which eventually did in fact lead to his real question being answered.

But it's nice of you to come around and try to start something.

• crf450319

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:54 AM

But it's nice of you to come around and try to start something.

I'm not trying to start anything, just trying to save the OP some frustration. There's an obvious condescending tone here in the yz450f forum, & a pattern of behaviour I've noticed since I've been riding a Yamaha. Exactly the place where people looking for answers shouldn't find that sort of 'tude.

Whatever.... like I said, just trying to save someone some frustration.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.