Supercross

AMA Supercross payouts per event

16 replies to this topic
  • HAV

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

What is the payout for a race win these days from an event? For instance, say a "privateer" wins a supercross main how much will he get paid from the race, NOT including contingencies of ANY sort but just from the race promoters themselves??

How much does does the big 4, plus KTM pay their "factory" racers? Like what is Ryan Dungey's salary just from KTM?

It seems, and I don't have a problem with how much a person makes, but when you look at Nascar, golf, NBA, NFL, MLB those sports disclose the salaries of ALL their athletes and you're able get an idea about where the money is flowing. It just seems like that within "our" professional sport there's a bit of a "mystery" out there. I could ask you a simple question. What is RV's salary from Kawasaki?? exactly, no one knows. It kind of feels like the NCAA and the BCS with their athletes, but they are considered "amateurs".

Now someone will say JS7 made 10 mil last year and that's great but no one in here will disclose how much his base salary was just from Yamaha. Is this important, why yes, because I asked. They used to disclose salaries, purses and clothing deals, goggles and so forth but it seems like anymore the "motocross media" including magazines, blogs, websites and reporters never report this information. How come?

Just my thoughts..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mauricedorris

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

I've never known the motocross industry to be open about the salaries they pay. We all hear rumors or the occasional slip up about who's making what.

But I would think there is no standard salary. Riders will get what the market and the budgets will bare. Its not like pro football or basketball where the team owners and the riders are sharing the profits and the salaries transfer directly from team to team.

Each team is on its own and will pay what it wants to pay. For that reason, there is no need to disclose anything.

Edited by mauricedorris, 02 February 2012 - 07:22 AM.

• PTECH

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Its really not anyones business. Feel free to post how much money you make here and let us all talk about it.

Edited by PTECH, 02 February 2012 - 02:35 PM.

• husky34

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Every rider is different but to give you an "idea", here is what RC was making just from Suzuki before he retired. This is from a SI article and "supposedly" came from folks inside the industry. Here is a quote.... It does not take into consideration his "other" sponsor deals.....

[color=#ff0000]"For a rider of Carmichael's talent, there are rich rewards. He has won six 250cc outdoor national championships and four in Supercross. Suzuki, according to industry sources, pays him $4.75 million per year in salary and offers $1 million bonuses for championships. Including endorsements, Carmichael's estimated income for last year was $8 million-$10 million." [/color]

An supposedly durring the 2008 Nationals when James Stewart went 24-0, he made a salary from Kawasaki of $2,236,000.00 according to Motocross Action Magazine.

• RacerXr

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm not gonna guess at salaries for the factory riders or for any team. But, the AMA does post the purse for the SX series. You can check it out here.

http://www.amasuperc...d%20sx%2012.pdf

It's pretty pitiful when you consider how much money is made in ticket sales, TV revenue, and series/race sponsorship. I am sure the series promoter, Feld Motor Sports, makes out much better than the riders.

Edited by RacerXr, 02 February 2012 - 04:45 PM.

• T-Doshi9

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm not gonna guess at salaries for the factory riders or for any team. But, the AMA does post the purse for the SX series. You can check it out here.

http://www.amasuperc...d%20sx%2012.pdf

It's pretty pitiful when you consider how much money is made in ticket sales, TV revenue, and series/race sponsorship. I am sure the series promoter, Feld Motor Sports, makes out much better than the riders.

i have seen that before and its 100% right on. several of my friends that race pro have gotten this and its in the ama packets. i always am shocked when i see the diff in 1st and second in the points!

if you could go undefeated you would make 292,000 in just winnings! that is amazingly low if you ask me for such a impossible thing! i know your sponsors would be nuts! am i wrong here in thinking that? 300k for winning EVERYTHING? hummm!!!

• jcm3

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

i have seen that before and its 100% right on. several of my friends that race pro have gotten this and its in the ama packets. i always am shocked when i see the diff in 1st and second in the points!

if you could go undefeated you would make 292,000 in just winnings! that is amazingly low if you ask me for such a impossible thing! i know your sponsors would be nuts! am i wrong here in thinking that? 300k for winning EVERYTHING? hummm!!!

Yeah, the payouts for the races themselves are not good. It's amazing how many people pack the stands, and the winner makes that little for just the winnings themselves.

Of course, that is nothing compared to the salaries, and the endorsements that the pros make. I think Tiger Woods used to make $6-$10 million per year from golf when he was on top, but he'd make $80 million including all of his endorsements. !!!

I think the top guys are doing just fine.

• FiremanKay

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

I know it has been said many times over but the lack of a riders uninion is really holding the spot back. They can fill the same statiums as pro teams. The minimum income in the NFL is 400k. So the best rider in motorcross isnt worth that??? The pay outs are a joke, AMA is but another big business who's main focus is making $$. I would love to see how much money AMA makes a year VS pays out ...

• FiremanKay

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, the payouts for the races themselves are not good. It's amazing how many people pack the stands, and the winner makes that little for just the winnings themselves.

Of course, that is nothing compared to the salaries, and the endorsements that the pros make. I think Tiger Woods used to make $6-$10 million per year from golf when he was on top, but he'd make $80 million including all of his endorsements. !!!

I think the top guys are doing just fine.

My problem is that you should be about to earn a living of riding if you are a pro. If you are in the main, you should get $5k right off the top. I just cant get my head wrapped around how only the top 10 guys many any money and out of them only about 5 of them get paid what a PRO in any sport should ...

• mauricedorris

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

Its still only about 8 hours worth of work. I'll take it! At least they allow you to have side deals.

• mauricedorris

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

The minimum income in the NFL is 400k. So the best rider in motorcross isnt worth that???

Obviously, they are not! If you ran supercross, you wouldn't pay that to those guys, neither would I. Not yet anyways...

Football has a great tv deal, stellar ratings, huge stadiums, and some really wild personalities. Motocross is on tape delay. As crazy as those football players are, they appeal to corporate sponsors. Oh, the NFL is profitable and is growing, while motocross is cutting back.

There's only a couple of guys on a dirtbike that generate the buzz and interest to bring in the "real money" and more viewers. James, like him or not, is the closest thing we have to someone with mass appeal. He's outgoing, clean cut, well spoken, has a great resume, and has a corporate appeal. Oh... people love talking about him. His TV show, while ridiculed by some, is definitely ground breaking. One day, the industry will thank him for putting himself out there.

• Esten831

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Its still only about 8 hours worth of work. I'll take it! At least they allow you to have side deals.

Eight hours of work calculating race times only but how much time do they spend during the week training?
These guys work their butts off and don't make near what they should in my opinion.

• FiremanKay

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Obviously, they are not! If you ran supercross, you wouldn't pay that to those guys, neither would I. Not yet anyways...

Football has a great tv deal, stellar ratings, huge stadiums, and some really wild personalities. Motocross is on tape delay. As crazy as those football players are, they appeal to corporate sponsors. Oh, the NFL is profitable and is growing, while motocross is cutting back.

There's only a couple of guys on a dirtbike that generate the buzz and interest to bring in the "real money" and more viewers. James, like him or not, is the closest thing we have to someone with mass appeal. He's outgoing, clean cut, well spoken, has a great resume, and has a corporate appeal. Oh... people love talking about him. His TV show, while ridiculed by some, is definitely ground breaking. One day, the industry will thank him for putting himself out there.

You are spot on about JS, the sport needs him. He brings a energy to the sport that no one can match. I know I shouldn't say this BUT they say when Tiger doesnt play viewing is down something like 40% ... James doesnt effect MX on that level but he is good for the sport.

And about the pay... like I said before, I would like to see what the AMA made thats year VS what they paid out. I have old teammates that are on practice squads in the NFL making 18K a week ... They dont even dress for games. I played D1 football and had my shot at the next level. I have a much greater respect for MX then football. I love football and think its great but MX has great excitement as well. The sport has not been managed well. I know brothers in the hood that enjoy watching it and have never been on a bike. The marketing for the sport sucks, the lack of a union sucks, the payout SUCKS. You said a few hours of work. Thats like saying a boxer is getting paid for only working 12 rounds. You know how much work goes into training. And this is what people do for a living ... so you should be able to live of the pay.
How about this the GA Dome seats around 70K people. Say the average ticket price is $40 (some much higher some a little lower). 70K X40 = 2.8million thats before all the sales of food, drinks, fan fair, pit passes ... I know they are walking away with near 2million a event and they pay out less then 200K WT EFF!!!!!! And this is before TV money. Thats prob aother 3million per race. I'm not trying to talk down about MXers but they are the best people to take advantage of when you look at the big picture. Kids racing their whole lives to get a pro ride. Spending every nickle and dime along the way trying to make it. Finally you get a free ride and some money to go with it. Toss a little money around here and there, make everyone feel like they can be that next guy all along everyone else in the field is just making the AMA tons of money. Its really the same makeup as a pyramid scheme. Then you tell the riders they can not create a union WHAT!!!! Name me another sport that doesnt have one. If the riders would understand that they are needed more then they need AMA, they could really progress the sport. I'll stop there but I could keep going.

Edited by FiremanKay, 03 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

The best thing that could have happened for the sport of Motocross is RV walking out of Vegas with a Million Dollars last year. That should pull the pay scale up over the next couple of years. A top 60 Motocross rider should be making more then a guy in the NFL or NBA sitting on the bench.

• Chase Twitchell

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Wanna see something awful? Take a look at AMA roadracing. Piss poor purses, "factory" riders PAYING to ride. Yoshimura Suzuki's newest racer Chris Clark, PAID for his ride. [says rumors of course]

• mauricedorris

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

The best thing that could have happened for the sport of Motocross is RV walking out of Vegas with a Million Dollars last year. That should pull the pay scale up over the next couple of years. A top 60 Motocross rider should be making more then a guy in the NFL or NBA sitting on the bench.

It was good that he got a million. I think they needed that purse to get everyone to show up. Attempts in the past to pull off a race like that have not drawn top not competition.

I still don't know where the money is in supercross. They are NOT the nfl or nba with huge national and local tv contracts... and sold out stadiums. In supercross, half of those seats will be empty in many of the stadiums, there's one race per week as opposed to 15 games in the NFL. There is no real AMA supercross merchandise sales going on. I wonder how much does it cost to design and build a new track every week. That looks like it could be several hundred thousand dollars to make that happen.

More importantly, the ones who own the teams do not also own the stadiums.

I don't think that the kids should be riding for nothing, but I also don't see where the big money comes from. Riders have to get that on their own via sponsors.

• slidejob26

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

From page 40 of the March 2012 MXA issue I just got in the mail:
Pay out per supercross event in '12 for the 450's
1st - 12,000
2nd - 6000
3rd - 4250
4th - 3250
5th - 3010
6th - 2780
7th - 2630
8th - 2530
9th - 2480
10th - 2430
11th - 2400
12th - 2380
13th - 2335
14th - 2280
15th - 2255
16th - 2230
17th - 2180
18th - 2180
19th - 2155
20th - 2135
3rd in the LCQ gets 1620
last in the LCQ gets 905
AMA pays the 450 season champ - 100,000
2nd in points 35,000
3rd in points 25,000
down to 8,600 for 20th in points

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

After Seattle... by FinchFan194

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • 21 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Seatle SX Links by Fryboy

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Whats up with the food poisoning by K-JA

• 11 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

That Pretty Much Settles It by Squid_Racer

• Hot  144 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

McGrath vs Stewart by bikehadr98

• Hot  56 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.