2011 YZ450F fork height

14 replies to this topic
  • stroker101

Posted February 01, 2012 - 05:56 AM

I looked in the manual and it doesn't show any adjustments on fork height.

Can we still raise them 5mm?

Thanks!

Edited by stroker101, February 01, 2012 - 05:57 AM.

• YamaLink

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:50 AM

Yep. Make height adjustments based on personal riding style, terrain and based on where you finalized rear sag setting.

• stroker101

Posted February 01, 2012 - 08:24 AM

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure before i raised them and caused other issue's

• jimjim180

Posted February 01, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure before i raised them and caused other issue's

leave em flush.to the top of clamp .with the link in the rear 100mm-102mm..with out the link.106mm-108mm

Edited by jimjim180, February 01, 2012 - 10:01 AM.

• Stu2

Posted February 01, 2012 - 11:11 AM

I run the pro circuit lowering link, running 108mm rider and have the forks 7.5mm up and it handles sweet

Turns nice and is stable on the fast straights

• stroker101

Posted February 01, 2012 - 12:06 PM

with link? with out link? what are reffering to?

thanks

• Stu2

Posted February 03, 2012 - 11:11 PM

I am running the pro circuit link, which means its in right now

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stroker101

Posted February 04, 2012 - 08:31 AM

roger that, thx

• Stu2

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:07 AM

As far as I am aware the adjustment area is from flush to 10mm up frm the clamps

• jaydavis226

Posted February 06, 2012 - 09:45 AM

I run the pro circuit lowering link, running 108mm rider and have the forks 7.5mm up and it handles sweet

Turns nice and is stable on the fast straights

What position do you have your bar clamps in?

• Stu2

Posted February 07, 2012 - 12:50 AM

I have them in the rear mounting position, I am 6'2" and do not feel cramped on the bike, and it turns better with the bars in the rear position

• rodgemx125

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:14 AM

seems to be a great deal of choice in the set up with these bikes, just got a 2010 upgrade from my 2008 and cant seem to get a decent setting.
What do other people use?
At the moment i have forks 5mm raised in yokes, 100 sag with the stock link and the bars closest to the seat.
Any help and advise would be much apreciated

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:20 AM

Most YZ's over the last 5 years have come with bars that are way too low for most people, even if they don't realize it until after they try something else. It depends on your size, too, of course, but most guys 5'9" and over are better served by a higher bend mounted forward a ways. It makes setting everything else up much easier.

• stroker101

Posted February 18, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Most YZ's over the last 5 years have come with bars that are way too low for most people, even if they don't realize it until after they try something else. It depends on your size, too, of course, but most guys 5'9" and over are better served by a higher bend mounted forward a ways. It makes setting everything else up much easier.

haven't ridden my bike yet (purcashed 1-28-12) got the suspension back mid week from FC. i did however mount the bars in the upper mounting holes. it feels good when i sit on the bike. hoping to ride this Tuesday (Mardi Gras day)

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 18, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Here is my set up so far.....All though I have had the forks and suspension done by Smart performance inc. with the DDT kit. My set up was for a Vet 40+A rider at my weight of 175lbs.

The stock rear spring which was a 5.8kg was to stiff for me so went to a 5.4kg. This alone made the bike so much better to ride. They kept the springs in the fork the same and just added the kit to the stock fork springs. The rear suspension shims was redone in a different way.

My bars (which is the Flexx bars) are in the most forward position and the forks are up 5mm in the clamp. The last time I rode it (which was two weeks ago) the forks were just 3mm up in the clamp. Reason I moved them up two more was to turn just a little sharper.

With the forks up 3mm the bike would haul the mail down a fast stretch and with absolutly no headshake but in the turns with a long sweep in it the bike would be a little lazy at turning. Sometimes I had to help it turn faster by physically turning the handlebar a good ways so I figured I had some room to play with and thats why I moved them up a couple of mm's on up.

I have a better setup on my 2011 this year than I did on my 2010 model from last year with the same DDT kit. This time though i told DaveJ of Smart Performance inc what I would like to have changed that was different from the 2010 model. My 2010 YZ450 was set up good but just liked a little something to make it better.

Trouble with the 2010 was that on a really fast long straight with accelerating bumps in it the bike would go good down the stretch for a little ways but when you tried to go faster seemed like the forks couldn't take it and would flatten out. I actually wanted to go faster.....but the forks acted like they didn't want to. I told Dave J about this and he said he knowed what to do and that when its not right it is not right. Said when he got the kit built that it would be what I wanted and if it wasn't he would keep trying till it was right.

Needless to say ........He hit the nail on the head this time cause it will kill a stretch now and you can just keep the throttle pinned. I love the way it handles down a fast stretch now and the rear is so planted to the ground.

I run my Fork compression at 11 out
Fork Rebound at 10 out

Shock Low compression 11 out
Rebound 40 out
High Speed comp 1 turn in (from all the way out)
Race sag= 102mm and static is 38mm

Depending on track condition wether it is real muddy or if the track is real rough I may have to go in on the clickers a couple or out a couple but just a couple is all cause the forks are sensitive.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.