Timing chain tensioner

6 replies to this topic
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted August 07, 2001 - 10:02 AM

Will be replacing the timing chain on my '99 420 over the upcoming weekend as a preventative mesure while shimming the valves. What I need to know is what to look out for with the tensioner. I've had it apart before when doing my top end and I find the unit sort of funky, as it could be installed incorrectly very easily. Also how far out should it extend once the new chain is back in ? What kind of service life does this part have? Thanks in advance for your time.

[This message has been edited by Hugh LePage (edited 08-07-2001).]

• PK

Posted August 08, 2001 - 09:04 PM

Good question. The tensioner should move freely and have a good strong spring tension when extended. I have heard many times that those things don't wear out unless you seize the motor and do some catostrophic motor damage. I would pretty hard to measure the extension of it anyway with the motor all together. Are you experiencing some cam chain noise to make you think it's on it's way out?

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted August 09, 2001 - 03:25 AM

Yes, it got progressively more noisy and more so the last couple of rides. It is not CB related as this has been checked. When doing the top end over the winter I noticed that the chain had some minor binding points. They may of gotten worst as the noise detected has a swishing regular rythm to it. I will have apart over the weekend and let you know what I find. As for timing chain life I think Hick mentioned that it should be replaced when ever doing a top end which makes sense to me.

[This message has been edited by Hugh LePage (edited 08-09-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Jason

Posted August 09, 2001 - 04:34 AM

Huh, thats interesting, I know on a car your supposed to do em every 100 K or so, I have never seen the timeing chain mentioned as regular maintance, books always say "examine and replace if needed" What the heck dose that mean??? Anyone else replace chains as routiene maint? I have street bikes with high milage that I have never even thought about changing the chains on. Of course my VFR has gear driven cams :) . They are noisy but they ROCK.
I wonder if you feel the cahin is worne if you shold replace the cam and crank sprockets too like you do on the drive chain ? Shouldnt the chain and gears were together? This may be a good question for a GOOD bike mech. Like thumper racing or someone?

[This message has been edited by WR_Jason (edited 08-09-2001).]

• zack_attack190

Posted August 09, 2001 - 12:33 PM

I inspected my tensioner and found that it
does not lock when fully retracted, I guess I should replace it.

I tried to line up the I mark as the manual
states, but every time I try the compression
causes it to roate past. How are you guys
getting around this problem?

• PK

Posted August 09, 2001 - 07:32 PM

Do you have the spark plug out? If not yank that rascal out. If that doesn't work, put a socket on your flywheel nut and use to control the amount of movement you get.

As far as the cam chain tensioner not staying retracted, did you do as the manual says and push it in with a phillips screwdrive and rotate to the locked position? It is crucial that the cam chain tensioner be retracted when you install it. If it won't stay retracted, a new one is probably a good idea.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted August 13, 2001 - 03:05 AM

Changed timing chain over the weekend. Went in by mag cover side. Everything went smoothly and reshimmed valves while at it. As for chain wear could not detect much differance betwwen old and new exept for wear marks on face / contact area of chain. The tensioner is a little over half way out which is what it was like before with old chain. Oh well, at least I have peace of mind that all is O.K. and that bike is sellable when the time comes. B.T.W. a good way to check if the tensioner is acting on the push pad ( rubber binder ) is to have the motor at TDC and to then unscrew the tensioner evenly off of motor while observing
the daylight between the motor and tensioner. When tensioner is finally all way out the screw heads will begin moving away from tensioner. I still had at least a 1/4" to go so I was safe. The old chain had some tight spots / kinks in it though.

[This message has been edited by Hugh LePage (edited 08-13-2001).]

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.