Suzuki

87 quadzilla

3 replies to this topic
  • scotty2fast

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hey Guys , posted this over on the Suzuki 2stroke foum as well, but my neighbor recently purchased a 1987 Quadzilla and the bike will only idle with the choke on , I'm thinking crank seals and maybe impellar shaft and seals as well , when he drained his gearbox it was milky looking and she smokes pretty heavy even after being warmed up. Carb has been gone through and top end has great compression judging by how hard it is to kick . He hasnt thrown a compression tester on it that I know of, so I cant quote any numbers . Also bike has been sitting several years before he purchased it . The P/O was real tool . Any Thoughts ?

Edited by scotty2fast, January 31, 2012 - 07:38 PM.

• 125rider1

Posted February 01, 2012 - 08:09 PM

The old suzuki 2 stroke quads did have water pump seals go bad regularly. I would def get in there and replace those as well as the crank seals. Also check for leaks around the base gasket, reeds, carb etc. Quadzillas are awesome when they are fine tuned! HOLD ON!!!

• Rogue1970

Posted February 07, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Like mentioned check out the crank seals and impeller seals for the water leak. You also want to take off the magnito cover and check for main bearing play. Try to move the flywheel up and down. It should not have much of any movement. If it moves, then you need to split the cases and have new main bearings installed (along with inserts).

The pilot circuit in the carb is probably all gum'ed up from the fuel sitting in the carb for years. You will need to remove the carb and fully dissemble, clean, and flush out all passages. The pilot circuit/jet is probably really bad. Make sure to drain the fuel out of the gas tank if it is still old fuel. The modern gas with Ethanol is horrible about attacting water.

There are a lot of modifications to the stock zilla (read as factory fixes) to make them dependable and powerful. Head on over to quadracerhq.com and go into the forum there. This site is specific to the LT250 and LT500 quads.

Good Luck,
Larry

• scotty2fast

Posted February 20, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks guys . sent him on his way to Quadracerhq .

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Suzuki

Lt-80 vs new 4-stroke 90 by sgrenier35

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Youth ATV
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Suzuki

LTZ/KFX Crankcase by mikey1479

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Sport ATV
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

What quad should I buy? by honda-madd

ATV/UTV   General ATV/UTV Forums   What ATV/UTV should I buy?
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Suzuki

04 ltz400 FCR41 jetting by jimbo925

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Sport ATV
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Suzuki

carb and hose issues on a 1983 suzuki lt 125 by hoytmaxxis6213

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Utility ATV
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.