30 replies to this topic
  • The Hopper Show

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Why would it be lean? It's been in the same location since new

the bike is stock besides a yz throttle stop

whats your elevation?

• The Hopper Show

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:17 PM

and did you clean the pilot, or replace the pilot?

• Stealth13

Posted February 03, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Just cleaned and elevation is whatever Calgary Alberta would be

• miweber929

Posted February 04, 2012 - 07:19 AM

Carb, huh? Didn't think it would be that but in a later post you mentioned you'd only ridden it once or twice since getting it so that makes sense, I guess.

When you say overheat after 5 minutes, what do you mean? Fluid dripping? Glowing head pipe? Explain as all anyone has is your words to go by.

After 5 minutes ir sp of idling your header will glow but you shouldn't have dripping coolant.

If its still stock jetted, which is lean from the factory no matter where you live altitude wise, read the Stickys at the top of the forum and rejet accordingly. Or you possibly could have moved the garbage from one place in the carb to another so it may need a full clean. Again, search on the forum for how to do that, it's been covered and you can seriously damage you carb if not done correctly. And put back together correctly as well.

You're on the right track, though. If its jetted right it will idle longer but it does need air moving over it.

Mike

• Stealth13

Posted February 04, 2012 - 12:28 PM

We'll I rode the bike for an hour and it seemed ok for heat.

When I pull full throttle it stutters, what could this be? I have yZ throttle and grey wire mod

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:31 AM

It is lean!!!!!! In your situation, just buy a JD Jet kit, install it, and live happily ever after.

• Blackwoodz

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Buy a good service manual and read it.

• gsa102

Posted February 07, 2012 - 09:35 AM

If they sit with gas in the carb for more than a month, the pilot jet will start to plug up. The main and other orifices may start to plug up, too. Use fuel stabilizer or drain the gas out using the allen screw on the bottom of the carb. And they come lean, stock, to meet emission tests. It all contributes to a lean condition, and you will have poor perfomance and possible engine damage unless you rejet and keep the carb clean.

• Stealth13

Posted February 07, 2012 - 09:56 AM

I don't see how the Yamaha engineers would design a bike to damage itself by being too lean right from the factory ?

• Bandit9

Posted February 07, 2012 - 06:16 PM

They didn't. The EPA did. Yamaha has to have it that lean from factory to pass regulations. 4 strokes can run lean w/o damage, unlike 2strokes. The bike isn't designed to sit still with motor running.

• travertt

Posted February 07, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Calgary elevation is 3,348 ft.

Suggestions of pilot jet and/or running too lean make a lot of sense.....

So does getting a manual and doing some reading.

Also...have been lots of previous threads on hard starting and carb problems...try doing a search and reading thru a couple of threads....lots of helpful info.

Good Luck and don't forget your choke.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.