What oil is good? 06 wr450

26 replies to this topic
  • Jaco WR450

Posted July 22, 2014 - 12:31 AM

Hey guys!

ive read all the comments and replies of the topic basically,but i want an opinion about a certain oil brand called Castrol..

I am currently running my 2010 WR450F on Castrol 10W 50 full synthetic oil.

I do enduro races here in South Africa,but its more of a hobby...

What do you guys think of the brand besides the type of oil i am using?

And if its reliable brand...is the oil im using the correct type?

• GuyGraham

Posted July 24, 2014 - 12:43 AM

The farther apart the 2 numbers (10 & 50) the more VI's (as described by Grayracer) have been added, and therefore are more prone to damage and hence this oil will thin down quicker.

The hot viscosity is 5 times the cold!

Going to a 15W/50 reduces this ratio down to less than 3.5

As you live in South Africa, I doubt you even need a 15W oil, which is required for cold starting temps of 0°C (see your manual for oil weight Vs atmospheric temps chart)

You could use a 20W/50 oil which is only 2.5 (cold/hot ratio ) and hence has less VI's in it

20W oil is good for temps down to +10°C, where as 10W oil is good for temps down to -10°C

Apart from that, Grayracer's post has all the info you need

One thing to remember, Castrol are only bottlers, and do not refine their own oil

They buy there base components on the open market and blend them and bottle them

Is this good / indiifferent or bad?  :excuseme:

Also, some oils labelled as fully Synthetic are not.

There was a court case a few years back, (cant remember who). An Oil company was labelling a highly refined oil as synthetic but it was wasn't. A court case was brought against them and they won, based upon the grounds that the public couldn't tell the difference between a true synthetic and this highly refined part synthetic. This set a precedent

I think there are only two truely fully synthetic oils on the market

Motul is one, can't remember the other.

Edited by GuyGraham, July 24, 2014 - 12:49 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2014 - 06:30 AM

One thing to remember, Castrol are only bottlers, and do not refine their own oil

They buy there base components on the open market and blend them and bottle them

Is this good / indiifferent or bad?  :excuseme:

Also, some oils labelled as fully Synthetic are not.

There was a court case a few years back, (cant remember who). An Oil company was labelling a highly refined oil as synthetic but it was wasn't. A court case was brought against them and they won, based upon the grounds that the public couldn't tell the difference between a true synthetic and this highly refined part synthetic. This set a precedent

I think there are only two truely fully synthetic oils on the market

Motul is one, can't remember the other.

There are essentially three different kinds of companies selling oil; those such as Mobil, that do the entire process, either from extraction and refining or the synthesis of base stocks all the way to the finished product; those that buy base stocks and components from other companies and then blend them according to their own formula; and those such as Yamaha, Ford, etc., who buy finished oil products produced by someone else with their label applied.  One of the two best oils on the market comes from the second type of vendor, the blenders who buy their components.  How the oil gets to the shelf has less to do with the quality of it than some people seem to imagine.

There was never a court case involving the question mentioned.  The tiff was between Mobil, who was promoting their then fairly new Mobil 1 line that included truly completely synthetic oils (type IV PAO's) as well as blends of very highly refined petroleum oils (Type III) with synthetic stocks, and Castrol, who was marketing a very highly refined type III oil as full synthetic.  Mobil complained to the BBB that Castrol was using deceptive advertising; Castrol claimed that their refining process was so thorough that it amounted to synthesizing the oil, and in the end, the BBB's advertising arm decided it was OK to sell it that way.  I happen to think they were wrong.  But there was never a decision on the matter made at law.

There are a good many true full synthetics out there, actually, but it can be difficult to sort them one from the other.  But again, the base stock the oil was built on is less important to the owner of any motorcycle that runs engine oil through the transmission than the durability of the additive package is, simply because with an oil that has weak viscosity index improvers, the oil falls out of grade well before it fails in any other way in which a synthetic would have an edge over a petroleum oil. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted July 24, 2014 - 06:40 AM

There was never a court case involving the question mentioned.

I stand corrected grayracer

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2014 - 08:33 AM

I stand corrected grayracer

Well, you aren't alone.  I first heard of the matter as having been in court as well, and I think that Mobil did in fact file a suit, but nevertheless, it was either dropped or something.  No actual legal decision ever came of it, but it became widely believed that there had been one, and the whole thing took on "urban legend" kind of status.  You had all the issues of the thing right, as did most who repeated the misinformation.  Only the question of whether it was actually adjudicated was wrong.

• raminit

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:23 AM

Rotella 15W40 Conventional Diesel oil. I raced a full season of hare scrambles, changing the oil every 2-3 races and never had an issue. The oil still looks clean when I change it.

• Juman5

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Same here on the Rotella T 15/40. So cheap that you can change so often that it has no time to break down. I buy the 20L pail, usually around $50-$60 per pail so I am less than $3 of oil per change.

Used in my yz250f, my kx450f and now the WR450f. Never seem to have any issues. For me it seems just as good as the Maxima semi-blend at a fraction of the cost.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.