quiet exhaust

6 replies to this topic
  • uw153

Posted October 06, 2003 - 06:22 AM

All right folks here it goes. Out of all the pipes you guys/gals have tried on the 600R and 650L which one gave you the best results for the lowest db? I tried the search but didn't find anything with this exact question. :)

• uw153

Posted October 07, 2003 - 06:04 AM

Ah come on now, I try my best to help everyone else out that I can. Some one has to have tried different pipes for sound and power.

• Rover31

Posted October 07, 2003 - 07:24 AM

Here are my small thoughts
I had the stock exh. then went to the BD baffle for the stocker exh. good improvment still very quiet, next I have put on the FMF full system (purchased from a TT member!), power bomb header and Q pipe another good improvment in power(not a lot but a little)and it is a system that is not to loud.
From my experence it is worth it. You lose weight and gain horsepower. Keep in mind the L is not ever going to be a fire breather without a Lot of Money.
My next mod is a carb (I have a 41FCR to put on, I hear the Edlebrocks are maybe better)then I will do the cam.
So hopefully by next summer, I will be able to tell more.
Oh another good thing to first get is a fork brace. Spend money on your susp and you be surprised at how much faster you can ride. You eleminate a lot of work you have to do to keep the bike going where you want it to go. This translates to longer rides and more fun.
Travis

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoZerk

Posted October 07, 2003 - 07:51 AM

I'm worried about getting dinged for not passing the decible test out here in california. I run the honda HRC exhuast tip. It's pretty loud but I don't think it's that bad. I'm gonna start running in some dual sport rides though and I don't want to get turned away because my bike is too loud.

I saw that baja designs has a baffle that I think just goes in the end and attaches with a set screw. Has anybody tried those? Do you have to re-jet? Do they restrict flow or just make it quiter?

• newmanr19

Posted October 07, 2003 - 12:28 PM

When I bought my 99 L, it had a FMF PowerCore IV.2 pipe on it; it's kind of funny, but when I was trying to find the guy's house that I bought it from; I was having trouble locating it, but then I heard him start the bike up; in his back yard; several houses down from where I was.. needless to say; that pipe was way too loud for my tastes. I put the stock muff back on right away. I do have the Thumper Racing baffle on order so am going to try that out next.

Also, I would agree with someone else who said with large dual-sport bikes, get the suspension taken care of first. There is way more ROI (return of investment) in suspension tuning then in spending tons of money trying to gain a few HP or loose a couple of pounds.

• jws

Posted October 07, 2003 - 03:32 PM

i am running the baja designs quiet baffle - it slides right into the hrc tip. it really quiets the bike down i do not think its as responsive as running just the hrc tip but it gets you way under the 96db law in california. i was running a 175 main with just the hrc with the baffle iam running a 172 main. that is what bd recommended and it seems to be fine where i ride :)

on the street i perfer a 110db (just trying to stay alive) :excuseme:but in the dirt iam all about stealth mode :D
jeff :D

• secretatlas

Posted October 08, 2003 - 04:26 PM

I'm worried about getting dinged for not passing the decible test out here in california. I run the honda HRC exhuast tip. It's pretty loud but I don't think it's that bad. I'm gonna start running in some dual sport rides though and I don't want to get turned away because my bike is too loud.

I saw that baja designs has a baffle that I think just goes in the end and attaches with a set screw. Has anybody tried those? Do you have to re-jet? Do they restrict flow or just make it quiter?

don't replace your tip with another tip. the hrc baffle is fine. i have one on my bike and have been tested on several occasions by various rangers/race workers. it blows between 94 to 98 depending on the test.

as long as all the packing hasen't blown out of your pipe you should be fine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.