plug fouling HELP!

7 replies to this topic
  • starttman

Posted October 06, 2003 - 03:53 AM

i have a 98 wr 400 and lately the spark plug has been fouling as of used to be about 20 rides before a plug change, now its twice a ride.the bike will run great for about 10 laps then it will start to pop on decel, then hesitate on accel, then run like sh*t til i change the plug.I'm running 93 octane pump gas.

the plug is totally black when i remove it...too rich???

should i adjust the feul screw? if so which way to turn ? in or out?

the engine was totally rebuilt last year and the bike has performed perfect until now.

Can any of you guys help me?

• The_Missile

Posted October 06, 2003 - 04:04 AM

Hmmm....sounds way rich....I doubt a fuel screw adjustment would make much difference to your problem....but if you want to fiddle anyway turning it INTO the carb will lean the setting.

Did something happen recently to change the jetting specs ?
- new gas type ?
- colder weather ?
- could be you have some blockage in one of your air jets...did you recently run in some high dusty environment ?

Anyway, take the carb apart, clean all and blow compressed air throught all the jets (be carefull of the washer & spring in the fuel screw recess...make sure you have them in your hand before blowing air into anything !
- bk mod malfunctioning ... ??

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted October 06, 2003 - 06:52 AM

Your symptoms sound identical to my 426 about 6 months ago. Turned out to be a contaminated batch of fuel (water). Drained tank, fuel bowl, and fitted CR8IEX plug, no problems since. :)

• starttman

Posted October 06, 2003 - 11:03 AM

i did have a bad batch of fuel and have replaced with fresh gas.(93 octane)...the gas is good. we have been in REAL dusty evirons. i will do the filter/carb clean, then see where we are.i hope it could be something that simple.this bike never let me down before.

another question...last spring i was doing some woods riding and got a branch wedged agaist my engine...when i pulled it away, the wire that goes in to the spark plug cap came out...i just pushed it back in... since then i have done dozens of rides. Could that be a contributer to my problem? maybe the connection is corroded or arcing...causing a misfire fouling the plug...

whaddaya think?

Chris Startt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Missile

Posted October 07, 2003 - 03:52 AM

Check it out it isnt that big a deal if you are already messin with the carb

• johnhab

Posted October 20, 2003 - 03:53 PM

Sounds like a fuel issue, try VP ultimate 4 race fuel. I had trouble with my 2001 426 and with this fuel it runs great.

• Merfman

Posted October 21, 2003 - 06:22 AM

Did MD recently start mandating oxy fuel in your area for
this time of year?

I have had more trouble than you'd believe running oxy fuel
in my '01 YZ426. I switch to race gas in the winter and the
problem goes away.

• mikeolichney

Posted October 21, 2003 - 08:31 AM

Ditto. Oxy fuel would foul my 426 in 5 to 10 minutes. It was a complete pain in the @$$.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.