08 WR 3.1 IMS Tank Ran Out Of Gas At 70-Miles?

6 replies to this topic
  • Dube2

Posted January 30, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Anybody know what the hell I should look for? I went on a 70 mile ride and including reserve, I ran out of gas. Never before, usually got 85 to 100 before reserve. No leaking, didn't run rich, started easy, just ran fine and most of the others I rode with had just under half tank. I thought a slight chance I forgot to top off??? but then I only got 4 miles on reserve. sum-ting-wong... I should get about 120 for a full tank. Actully, its only the 2nd time I've ever hit reserve on this tank. I do rides up to 80 miles before fuel stops, WTH!

any ideas? this is baffeling me.

• MANIAC998

Posted January 30, 2012 - 01:53 PM

My guess would be that it's coming out of the carb overflow as you ride. Have you messed with the carb lately? Do you have a fuel filter before the carb? Is the float height set to the proper spec? This is where I would start looking. Maniac

• strtdsmallproject

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:37 AM

I burned a full stock tank in 2 12 mile laps. The plunger spring on the float will get weak. I had it happen during a race. The bike would dump fuel over rough terrain. float needle replaced for a couple of bucks off ebay fixed mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Leardriver

Posted February 01, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Have you changed your jetting recently, specifically the needle clip? You should get better than 25 mpg towing a trailer uphill.

• KennyMc

Posted February 02, 2012 - 01:52 PM

Anybody know what the hell I should look for? I went on a 70 mile ride and including reserve, I ran out of gas. Never before, usually got 85 to 100 before reserve. No leaking, didn't run rich, started easy, just ran fine and most of the others I rode with had just under half tank. I thought a slight chance I forgot to top off??? but then I only got 4 miles on reserve. sum-ting-wong... I should get about 120 for a full tank. Actully, its only the 2nd time I've ever hit reserve on this tank. I do rides up to 80 miles before fuel stops, WTH!

any ideas? this is baffeling me.

Too bad camp was 4 miles + 500 yards from camp :smirk:

• Dube2

Posted February 03, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Too bad camp was 4 miles + 500 yards from camp :smirk:

hahahaha, thanks again for the push back to my truck Ken, that last 100' was the walk of shame in front of 20 RED bikes.

• Bandit9

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Be patient, your blue bike will be the last one standing.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.