Service Intervals

7 replies to this topic
  • 1nd1anajones

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:12 AM

Sorry about asking this question because you guys probably hear it all the time but its kind of rider specific. I just picked up a brand new 11 yz450f and Im wondering what the service intervals should be and what Ive gotten from this site so far is that I shouldnt really go with what the service manual says.

I usually putt along in the trails and do some hill climbing but definitely no MXing or large jumps. Keep in mind Im not the most mechanically inclined and the most I will do is check valves, I dont have the tools or the know how to start ripping this bike apart. I want this bike to last and I want avoid "grenading the engine". If you guys have anything to add please let me know.

Would you guys say this is a decent plan?
-clean air filter every ride or two, depending on condition of filter
-change oil and filter every 8 hrs or every couple rides
-check valves every 20hrs
-get a shop to replace timing chain, valves, and piston at 100-150hrs?
-bottom end replace things as needed

If you dont agree with me please dont rip me apart, Im new to this stuff haha

Thanks

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Sounds like you have it douwn pat. Depending on what kind of oil you use about changing it in around 8 hrs. I would say if you use Yamalube I would change it after every ride of about 2 hrs of ride time.

Amsoil 10w-40 MCF like I use then every 8 hrs. I however change mine after every race but in your case where you're not MX'ing then you would be ok with 8 hrs.

BTW I have a YZ 2011 450F and before that I had a YZ 2010 450F. I went 15 hrs before I checked my valves and they were AOK. Then I went to 30hrs and still they were AOK. I checked them again at 48hrs and still they were in spec. Last time I checked them before I sold it was at 60hrs(when I sold it) and they were still in spec.

I hope the 2011 is this good about holding the clearence of the valves. I will just continue to change my oil and clean my filter regularly.

• 1nd1anajones

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:30 PM

Sounds like you have it douwn pat. Depending on what kind of oil you use about changing it in around 8 hrs. I would say if you use Yamalube I would change it after every ride of about 2 hrs of ride time.

Amsoil 10w-40 MCF like I use then every 8 hrs. I however change mine after every race but in your case where you're not MX'ing then you would be ok with 8 hrs.

BTW I have a YZ 2011 450F and before that I had a YZ 2010 450F. I went 15 hrs before I checked my valves and they were AOK. Then I went to 30hrs and still they were AOK. I checked them again at 48hrs and still they were in spec. Last time I checked them before I sold it was at 60hrs(when I sold it) and they were still in spec.

I hope the 2011 is this good about holding the clearence of the valves. I will just continue to change my oil and clean my filter regularly.

Ya if i can go at least 60hrs before having to anything I will be happy, I would like to not have to do anything for at least a season, or until the bikes paid off haha. I was thinking about going with yamalube, figuring it would be the best, why would the life of yamalube oil be less than other oils?

I told my dad and uncle that these high performance 450's only get up to 200hrs on an engine before you have to do a rebuild and they started laughing at me, saying that you should get 2000hrs. I swear all these old timers are living in the old days when xr's were the only four strokes around and they lasted forever.

• Gunner354

Posted January 30, 2012 - 07:17 AM

09yz450 with 400 hrs and all original. So the old timers are somewhat right. Yamahas last much longer than the other brands.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:06 AM

Just be sure to use a High grade oil like Amsoil MCF 10w-40 or something similiar and change the oil and filter regularly along with cleaning the air filter after each good ride and you wont have any issues.

• briangriff321

Posted February 03, 2012 - 11:16 AM

I run a little premix in my fuel to help lube a little

• 1nd1anajones

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:13 PM

09yz450 with 400 hrs and all original. So the old timers are somewhat right. Yamahas last much longer than the other brands.

I was originally going to buy a kawi but even my buddies who ride kxf450's told me to go yamaha because of reliability. So glad I did.

• yz450fcranker

Posted February 06, 2012 - 01:37 AM

i replace oil every 500 miles get a manual from the pinned maintenance threads

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.