air filter

6 replies to this topic
  • poppa

Posted January 28, 2012 - 03:09 PM

what air filter is the best for the 450f fi ? stock looks awful porous for the fi? used twin air on the carb bikes, haven't really shopped for this bike. with the location of the air box it dosen't seem to get as dirty as quick though.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2012 - 03:30 PM

When you say that the filter looks porous, remember that the filter element doesn't do the filtering, the oil you put on it does. The idea of foam filters is that they are porous and allow good air flow.

FI/non-FI is irrelevant because the air filter doesn't keep dirt out of the fuel system, just the intake.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:23 AM

I have a couple Twin-Air filters and a couple of GYTR filters."Like you stated" the GYTR filters are more porous than the Twin-Air ones but I use the Twin-Air Bio oil on all the filters including the stock one. I haven't had any problems with any of em and would say they all are good filters. If I was to make a decision between which filter I liked the best ....it would have to be the Twin-Air filters over the GYTR.

Reason I picked Twin-Air is only because the filter is not colored and when you put oil on it you can see if all the oil is covering the filter evenly. The GYTR filters are red and when you apply the oil to them you have to be sure to submerge the whole filter in the oil to be sure that you have spread the oil evenly over the whole filter. Other than that ...it is a good filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • poppa

Posted January 29, 2012 - 04:12 PM

thanks for the replies. That thin, flat filter is just different to me, maybe it's the square versus round I don't know. Yeah you are right grayracer, the injecter gets dirty from dirty fuel not dirty air.

Edited by poppa, January 29, 2012 - 04:23 PM.

• tech24

Posted January 30, 2012 - 07:29 AM

I've been using twin air and PJ1 and they work well. Not even a spec of dust or fine layer of dirt in duct or t-body. Others may work as well.

• moto278

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:40 PM

i have 2 k&n filters, twin air nd stock. i prefer the k&n despite what others feel. i swap them out every ride or at least every other ride depending the time/condition im riding. performance wise i cant tell a difference between any of them really. personally, as long as u keep the filter clean they should all be good

• BBrown626

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:58 PM

The BEST air filter is the DT-1 over-the-cage filters. At least that is what the guy told me that sold me two of them :-)
i have two of them and they are very well made. They contact the top of the air box in two spots and they don't leave a lot of room around them. The flat filters are a little easier to install and maintain, so I normally use flat filters. Also, if you switch from the flat filter to the DT-1 you have to be sure the cage is thoroughly cleaned, so that adds another step to the proces.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.