When to change piston on a 2010 yz450?

12 replies to this topic
  • domdomfielding1

Posted January 26, 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have 97 hours on my 2010 yz 450 i change oil with full synthetic every 9 hours and keep air filter very clean bike runs perfect plenty of power. Valves are all in spec. I am starting the NMDRC harescrambles in feb do you think I should change out piston before the season? and what about the cam chain should that be replaced to??????? :lol: :lol: :bonk: :bonk: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smirk:

• briangriff321

Posted January 26, 2012 - 01:47 PM

Look in service manual

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2012 - 02:54 PM

Look in service manual

What will that tell you?

According to that, the piston needs changing every couple of weeks, and the timing chain will last forever.

• briangriff321

Posted January 26, 2012 - 03:30 PM

Its gives intervals...

• crf450319

Posted January 26, 2012 - 03:57 PM

I agree that the manuals suggest poor run time intervals when it comes to replacing certain components, the manual for my '09 states that the piston should be replaced every 5th race or as needed. There's no mention of when the cam chain ($18 from Yamaha) should be replaced, only that the "timing chain and camshaft sprocket should be replaced as a set".

I ride MX in B/Intermediate and Vet, I'm going to replace the piston in my bike now when it's got 80 hours on it. I waited until I had 110 hours on the last one and had started to wear through the nikasil on the cylinder and had some ring float as well. For $140 it's pretty cheap insurance.

If you're putting around in some trails, I might wait a while longer.. If you're more aggressive in the trails or riding MX I'd replace it. Some people will say the opposite... but I don't ride their bike(s) or have to pay to repair them.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2012 - 04:05 PM

I agree that the manuals suggest poor run time intervals when it comes to replacing certain components, the manual for my '09 states that the piston should be replaced every 5th race or as needed. There's no mention of when the cam chain ($18 from Yamaha) should be replaced, only that the "timing chain and camshaft sprocket should be replaced as a set".

That's my point. A ridiculous interval is given for the piston and none for the chain. Then it says the sprockets, none of which is serviceable independent of the part to which they are fixed, should be replaced with the chain. Sorry, the manual is no help here, move along.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • briangriff321

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:03 PM

My manual says as required....if its required then do it...simple

• Yamaryder29

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:44 PM

I would definetly do the cam chain. As far as the piston, I'd say 100 hrs is a good time to change it, but I've heard of them going much longer.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2012 - 06:23 PM

My manual says as required....if its required then do it...simple

The 2010 manual doesn't say that.

• briangriff321

Posted January 26, 2012 - 06:47 PM

I dont have a 10 manuel so

• MxSkater86

Posted January 26, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I change my piston out every season. and a timing chain twice a season. but I also ride or race MX in the A class every weekend so I might be on the bike more than you.

Edited by mxskater56, January 26, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

• crf450319

Posted January 26, 2012 - 07:39 PM

That's my point. A ridiculous interval is given for the piston and none for the chain. Then it says the sprockets, none of which is serviceable independent of the part to which they are fixed, should be replaced with the chain. Sorry, the manual is no help here, move along.

I know that was your point..... that's why I posted what I did... And I still agree with you.

• domdomfielding1

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thanks guys. I think i will wait till about 130 hours and then change it. I will just keep an eye on the bike till then. :bonk: :smirk: :lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.