I can't belive this made my bike faster

5 replies to this topic
  • darmino

Posted October 05, 2003 - 11:06 AM

Imagine this! Two weeks ago I was on the same ride that I ride ever week and noticed that on the wide open sections
my bike was just ripping through the RPMs like never before, no change on the bottom end but on top it pulled harder than ever till it hit the rev limiter. I had no idea what was the cause of the extra power, I though maybe the humidity level was just right or even that my air filter, which I knew was due for a cleaning was restricting air and correcting a lean jetting scenario. Both unlikly, then I remembered that the week before I had replaced my WR rear fender with a YZ fender, that couldn't be it, or could it? Well the YZ fender has an intake vent behind the seat that the WR fender doesn't, that would explain more power on top were more air is required. Later I also rerouted the overflow tubes to allow even more air in. Anyone else have this experience

• jwriott

Posted October 05, 2003 - 12:20 PM

I'd like to hear more from other members that have the same experience. I need a new fender soon.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 05, 2003 - 02:25 PM

Yes many of us here have air box mods that work. I cut out the extra panel on the pipe side to match the YZ and I cut away a large 2" x 5" opening at the rear of the air box to let the air run down the top of the rear fender into the airbox. The stock set up is EPA approved. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted October 05, 2003 - 03:35 PM

I'd like to hear more from other members that have the same experience. I need a new fender soon.

I put a rear fender on my YZ from a Suzuki Hybusa

Instant 28 hp :)

• Sylvain

Posted October 05, 2003 - 03:47 PM

I installed a YZ pipe on my 2002 wr 426, I also inserted a small batterie in the air box because the bike is street legal.

I feel there could be more air flow to the intake and your option seems just what the doctors could prescribe. :D

Would you have pictures of that air box mod.

I cut out the extra panel on the pipe side to match the YZ and I cut away a large 2" x 5" opening at the rear of the air box to let the air run down the top of the rear fender into the airbox

I'm concern about making an entry for more dust/mod/etc in the carb intake. :D

I posted a few months ago about air box mod that could be done to facilitate the cleaning of the air filter. I'm still waiting for some info. :D

20 years ago I had bikes that already were well designed for air filter cleaning. Lately I got an old IT 175 1982 and this old fellow is equipped with a direct side access air box. No mess and the air box seems to be very tight.

I beleive the new wr 450 has this access to air filter problem resolved.

Could we fit a wr 450 air box in a wr 426 or 400 machine ? :)

Thanks for your inputs guys,

• Math

Posted October 06, 2003 - 08:19 AM

Sylvain, You are reading my mind. I think I'll stop posting and just follow yours. :)

I was asking myself the same question about transforming my airbox to make a side access and was also hoping your previous post would receive some answers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.