Fork Swap from YZ to WR

28 replies to this topic
  • gsa102

Posted February 04, 2012 - 12:32 PM

What kind of riding is the OP doing? I did not see in his posts. My MX-Tech tuned "woods" forks work better on a track than in the woods, but still have deflection issues.

• kawi380

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:55 AM

I have an 08 wr450. I rode the bike stock for 2 years then decided that I wanted more from the suspension. So I bought the phase 4 kit from SP did the work myself and absolutely loved it. No issues. I came across a screaming deal on some 07 SSS forks and did the swap leaving the forks stock. They were defintely better but not enough better for what I was doing to make me want to pay for another revalve. So I pulled off the 07's and now have the stock wr setup installed again. I have no complaints with how they work for ST riding and AZ rock gardens. I am a light guy so weight was never an issue and I don't race the wr so I don't really need more. If I want a hard hitting fork I jump on my rm250 :smirk:

• dandimand

Posted September 25, 2014 - 08:29 PM

I want to do the opposite I ride my yz 250 06 in woods and I have an 03 wr450 parts bike complete blown engine 

what would I have to do to put the Wr forks on my yz ?

• stevethe

Posted September 26, 2014 - 06:15 AM

I want to do the opposite I ride my yz 250 06 in woods and I have an 03 wr450 parts bike complete blown engine 

what would I have to do to put the Wr forks on my yz ?

Even if you put the WR forks on your YZ you really need to do a base re-valve. So you should just do it to your YZ. A DIY kit is not that expensive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted September 26, 2014 - 03:02 PM

I just put some SSS on my 2007. Based on stock forks, the WR forks aren't even in the same league.

There was a big difference in ride quality between the two IMO. I'm sure you could valve the stock WR forks and get them pretty good, but why not take that $150 to $200, buy some SSS for around 350 to 400. You can sell your old WR for around 150 to 200. I believe that's the best way to go, your a wash in cost and you could find them cheaper. I paid 310 with 25 shipping.

• dandimand

Posted September 26, 2014 - 03:39 PM

I already have the SSS forks on the yz came stock with them . I have two wr 450s and one is parts bike just noticed just for tight trails that the sss forks are quite a bit stiffer than the wr forks 

• stevethe

Posted September 26, 2014 - 04:15 PM

I already have the SSS forks on the yz came stock with them . I have two wr 450s and one is parts bike just noticed just for tight trails that the sss forks are quite a bit stiffer than the wr forks

I thought those were sss forks.
I like my revalved and fixed base valve WR forks.
So I'm wondering though if your sss forks could use a good gold valve shim set up for the woods.

• RMK800

Posted September 26, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Try running less oil and maybe a lighter spring.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:10 PM

http://www.thumperta.../#entry11913767

You'll need to do the shock too.

http://www.thumperta...6#entry11914302

All yamaha forks since 2006 are basically the same. Ditto for the shock.

Total cost, less tools, oil and general rebuild parts is about $20 for shims. Yamaha kyb pistons are more than up to the task.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 30, 2014 - 10:35 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.