1995 XR600R VS. 2000 XR650R

15 replies to this topic
  • LISA

Posted October 05, 2003 - 04:59 AM

HELLO EVERYONE I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD GET SOME OPINIONS. I AM AN EX-ENDURO (HIGH C / LOW B CLASS) RIDER WHO STILL RIDES IN THE PINE BARRONS OF NEW JERSEY AND THE ROCKS OF PENNSYLVANIA. WHAT ARE SOME FEELINGS ON WHICH BIKE IS THE BETTER BIKE FOR JUST FUN RIDING AND POSSIBLE CONVERSION TO A DUAL SPORT - ALSO ANY PROBLEMS WITH THAT YEAR 650?

• larry650

Posted October 05, 2003 - 11:57 AM

The xr650r is the way to go. I owned a 96 xr 600 and currently a 2000 xr650r. As electric starting isn`t a issue between these two models I found the 650 easier and more consistent to start. As everything on the 650r was upgraded over the 600 and IMHO it flat out performs and out handles it. The counter shaft seal is a weak spot on the 2000650r. Thru this forum I learned the newer seals were redesigned and cost about four bucks. You can probably find a used 600 for less money. It didn`t take long to lose interest in the 600 after I bought 650 and sold it. Good luck with your decision!

• Dutch

Posted October 05, 2003 - 12:05 PM

There were two 600R's in my past. I modified them every way I could to get more power and better handling.
I'll never forget the first ride on the 650R, it was what I always wanted from the 600R's and could never find. The power and chassis are way beyond the air cooled bike.
Last summer a nephew came up to do a little dirt bike riding. I called my pal who bought my last 600R and borrowed it back for this ride so my nephew could ride my 650R.
I have to admit it felt pretty good - I could still go plenty fast on it.
Then we swapped bikes :)
The 600R is a great bike, the 650R is definately the big dog.
As for problems with the 2000 model - some bikes have had a problem with the clutch basket bushing and the countershaft seal. Honda has updated parts to address those problems. My "Betty" has close to 5000 miles on her and I haven't had any problems.
There are other dirt bikes out there I lust over but none of them could replace her.

• JR650

Posted October 05, 2003 - 02:51 PM

i would say as far as reliability goes, my 2000 650r has no issues, and i bag the living crap out of it every time i ride, only things i had an issue with were jetting for the stock cut tip (my stupidity) and occasional boiling when its been sitting idling for like 5 min when its really hot out. If money is not a factor, the 650r is the way to go IMO, though i might be somewhat biased. If you can, ride them both, i dont think it will be much of a descision afterwards. good luck, JR

• smashinz2002

Posted October 05, 2003 - 08:46 PM

Hi. I have ridden both the XR600R and the XR650R. Both are excellent bikes. I own a 2000 XR650R, and it's never given me any problems, it's extremely reliable. I almost bought a 2000 XR600R, and test rode it and liked it a lot. But then I found a 650R, test rode it, and love it! NO comparison! I actually paid less for the 650R used than what the 600 was going for. I uncorked the 650, added a dual sport kit and I don't think there's a better all around dirt bike out there.
It's got brutal power (uncorked of course), excellent handling for a big bike, and it never breaks.
Also, I have never had any problem with the countershaft seal or the clutch bushing (don't let it idle in gear with the clutch pulled in, and it shouldn't fail).
During break-in, the spokes on the rear wheel loosen, keep an eye on it and tighten as needed. After a few hundred miles, they'll seat in and not loosen.
The 650 engine is mechanically noisy. Don't worry it's normal and never goes away. After 3000 miles now, the valves are still within range .007 intake and .008 exhaust.
Rejetted and uncorked, there are no overheating/boiling problems, as long as you don't let the bike sit and idle very long.
Undue wear WILL occur in the lower shock linkage where aluminum meets aluminum, and it's usually on the right hand side of the linkage. I keep mine lubed well to help, but some guys add brass washers.
The chain seems to be of unusually high quality, and won't stretch much after break-in. Keep it clean though and use a lube that conditions the O-rings. The sprockets also seem to be pretty decent.
Good luck!
LL.

• XR/CRDave

Posted October 06, 2003 - 08:10 PM

I currently have a 00 XR650R and had a 95 XR600. You will probably hear from many of us who have owned both and the opinions will likely be the same. I loved my 600 and many fun trips and dual sport rides on it but I always seemed to want a little more from it. Without going crazy on it, I had done all the normal mods and it was pretty fast and handled well. I then got a KX500 and that was a good bike but I wanted to learn MX so I sold them both and got a new 01 CR250 and a new 00 650 at the same time. I quickly realized that the stock uncorked 650 was better in every aspect than my trusty old outdated six hun. If you are considering one of the bikes go w/ the 650, it is way better than the 80's technology of the 600. If price is a concern and you can find a clean 600 for cheap you will still have fun.

• Redtractor

Posted October 07, 2003 - 04:25 AM

Hi I too live in southern NJ and ride the barrens as well as pa rocks!! I have also had a xr600 and now own a 2003 xr650 and the 650 is by far the king go here to check out problems with the 650 erics site is great readign and a wealth of knowledge www.xr650r.us Have funn :) once you get your bike if you wanna ride we go to pa to tower city or paragon and also ride from a private spot by wharton let me know John

• beer_studd_76

Posted October 07, 2003 - 07:18 PM

my sixhundy is an absolute bear to start cold. no offense meant here but some of my man riding buddies can't even start it (i'm assuming that the name "lisa" is attached to a woman).

also, not one of the 2 women i ride with can even pick the thing up from flat ground, how much worse on a down hill side of the trail? i suppose the weight issue is the same for the 650R.

i don't know what kind of HP my 600 makes, but it feels every bit as strong as my 2 stroke 380 (which is an animal.)

i think it's physically impossible to stall my 600 while the wheels are still spinning.

my 600 doesn't puke when it gets hot.

i've ridden lots of bikes (650R included) and i don't think anything beats my 600 on logging roads and double track, and it'll go down single track just fine too.

my 600 is perportioned for "average" riders: 5'8"-6'. at 6'2" i start feeling cramped after a few hours, though it's nothing unbearable.

bottom line: the 650R does perform better, but it'll cost more and weigh more and require more maintenence. if you want a big fast bike that you can ride hard and put away wet, get the 600. if the extra (small) bit of maintenence doesn't matter to you, get the 650R

jeremiah

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • f29

Posted October 07, 2003 - 10:21 PM

I broke "3" xr 650 frames in one year that was the only flawI found with the bike

Dave @ www.winnersedgeracing.com :)

• XR/CRDave

Posted October 08, 2003 - 01:38 PM

"bottom line: the 650R does perform better, but it'll cost more and weigh more and require more maintenence."

I believe a 600 will cost much more maintenance than a 650. 600's are going to be older unless you find a 2000. I spent a lot of cash on my 600, many repairs and many upgrades to make it perform. My 650 is uncorked w/ pro tapers but is otherwise stock and it does not need upgrades(ok maybe a pipe would be fun) to perform like I want it to.
The bottomline for me is that I would spend more money in the long run on a used 600 to get it to perform than a used 650. With that being said if I had to get rid of my 650 and could later only afford a used 600 I would still be happy, cause they are fun bikes.

• beer_studd_76

Posted October 08, 2003 - 10:09 PM

"bottom line: the 650R does perform better, but it'll cost more and weigh more and require more maintenence."

I believe a 600 will cost much more maintenance than a 650. 600's are going to be older unless you find a 2000.

i'd take that pepsi challenge

• LISA

Posted October 14, 2003 - 05:25 PM

HELLO , JOHN THANKS FOR THE INFO. ON THE 650R . I AM INTERESTED IN WHETHER THE BIKE HELD UP AS FAR AS COOLING GOES WHILE FIGHTING MY WAY (NORMALY SLOWLY) THROUGH THE TIGHT PINES.ALSO HOW HARD IS IT TO KEEP THE SUSPENSION GREASED? ALSO THANKS FOR THE INVITE FOR RIDING . ALSO I BELONG TO TRI-COUNTY SPORTSMEN M.C CLUB OUT OF PORT ELIZABETH.LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A RIDE DOWN THAT WAY MAYBE WE COULD HIT THE TRAILS. BY THE WAY LISA IS MY WIFE. THANKS AGAIN

• zeke79

Posted October 15, 2003 - 07:14 AM

cooling is an issue in the real tight stuff for me. I added an electric fan to the right radiator that solved all of my cooling problems in the really tight stuff.

• wvrider

Posted October 15, 2003 - 08:21 AM

Lisa,

I was torn between the XR650R and the XR400R when purchasing my last bike. A friend had a 650 as a loaner bike that I had been riding and that bike was a blast, super fast and powerful. I ended up going with the 400 namely because in the East the 650 is just too much (weight, power). A few months ago I rode the 650 again thinking maybe it would make my 400 seem underpowered. It definatly make much more power than the 400 but when I got back on my bike I was really glad I had went with the smaller bike. My 400 with only gordon's mods and a pipe makes plenty of power for woods riding and its much easier to throw around than the 650. I've ridden a 600 also and I have to say I think its a better woods bike than the 650. (lighter, tighter steering, no radiators to boil over). The 650 is overall a much better bike than the 600 but in extremely tight trails I would pick the 600. If you ride more open stuff the 650 is the bike to have. Just my two cents. Take it easy.

Brandon

• JR650

Posted October 15, 2003 - 08:34 AM

i have found that as long as im going at least like 5 mph, the 650 doesnt feel heavy, its when you stop that the weight becomes apparent, it has only overheated when its been over 95f out and i let it sit idling for like 5 min. Yes the power can be an issue, the bike is so rediculously overpowered in the woods that accidentally roosting your buddies is the norm :). But seriously, i have almost flipped it a couple times because of how hair triggered the throttle on these things is once uncorked. JMHO, JR

BTW, i am running the stock 1.1bar rad cap, a higher cap would prevent it from boiling completely.

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted October 15, 2003 - 10:23 AM

Just get a xr650L you wont have to worry about any radiators and if you want to go on the road its already street legal that way you wont have to spend about a grand to make the 650r road legal. Just make sure you ditch the metal gas tank for an aftermarket plastic one and unkork the bike and it will work just fine as long as you dont try to do any harescrambles or enduros with it without setting up the suspesion and youll be fine. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.