Exhaust pipe VS. Rear brake reservoir

4 replies to this topic
  • oldbones

Posted October 04, 2003 - 10:26 PM

My FMF pipe rides VERY close to my rear reservior/master cylinder, right at the top. It seems like it may be starting to melt the cap on the reservior.

Anyone else had this problem, or am I just the lucky one?

• effexx

Posted October 05, 2003 - 12:17 AM

Yep I had the same problem even with stock muffler on. Guess its hust too hot to handle. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted October 05, 2003 - 01:16 AM

I remember a post about the melting reservoir a little while back. Popular fixes were either to use some exhaust heat wrap, like drag racers use on headers etc, or a few guys here have fitted the YZ450 one-piece reservoir/master cyl'. Mine is very close, but hasn't started melting yet. Touch wood......

• oldbones

Posted October 05, 2003 - 07:57 AM

Well, after I posted this last night, it started bugging me. Off the the garage I go. I took the exhaust bolt out (behind the headpipe, in front of the silencer), and put a spacer between the pipe and the frame, maybe a little thicker than a nickel. This moved the pipe towards the center of the bike, and off of the reservior. I got to thinking about it, and there must have been a spacer there before, but that bolt fell out on the trail a while ago, and I didn't even think of a spacer when I put in a new bolt.

Anyway, all better now!

• ChrisG

Posted October 07, 2003 - 11:48 AM

Had the same problem with my WB exhaust. I also put a few spacers under where the reservoir mounts on the frame to pull it away from the pipe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.