Vortex ignition on 06 yz450f?

9 replies to this topic
  • moosekak

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Have a chance to buy a vortex ignition for my 06 yz450f for a good deal. I have researched it a lil bit but want to know if anyone on here is by chance running one? What are your thoughts? Also the guy selling it doesn't sound like he knows to much about it. It does not come with a handle bar switch, do the older vortex ignitions not come with a switch? It's for a 06-09 yz450f but the seller is saying that it has mapping for an 09? He says he is not the one that installed it but it was on an intermidiate mx'r. He does not know if any of the maps have been modified or changed. If I could pick it up for 200 would it be worth it????

• dirtrider44

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:06 PM

i am just looking at buying one for my 06 yz450. i was actually just asking the guys on here about aftermarket ignitions/CDI's

• 2grimjim

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:08 PM

View this thread;
http://www.thumperta...arket-ignition/

• moosekak

Posted January 24, 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yeah my bad i seen your post right after I started mine. Still curious if anyone is running one on an 06??? Whats your thoughts on them dirtrider44? What kind of riding do you do?

• 2grimjim

Posted January 24, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yeah my bad i seen your post right after I started mine. Still curious if anyone is running one on an 06??? Whats your thoughts on them dirtrider44? What kind of riding do you do?

I've installed the Dyna and the Vortex an several 450's and 250F's and they both perform as advertised. The Dyna is cheaper but requires a little more technical expertise if you want to alter the mapping. As is comes out of the box, it has the same advance curves as your stock CDI. So, unless you want to learn how to eprogram the Dyna, you aren't goingto ntice any difference.

The Vortex is easier to make changes (as long as you are happy with the preset programs). Of the 10 program preprogrammed into the box, there are programs that work good for trail riding and there are programs that will quicken throttle response and add a little hp.

The MSD has all of the same functionality of the Vortex for about $100 less, and it can be reprogramed by the user for a lot less money too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moosekak

Posted January 24, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the input! I ride the dunes with alot of trail riding too. I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens

• dirtrider44

Posted January 24, 2012 - 03:53 PM

im still debating on buying one. I do mostly trail, and dune riding. I do wanna go out west somewhere and do some desert riding tho (think it'd be sweet). If i do buy one i'll prolly end up buying the MSD, its cheaper and does the same thing as the Vortex as 2grimjim said earlier

• dm09YZ250F

Posted July 07, 2012 - 04:05 PM

Any Update on , Vortex / MSD ignitions

I am thinking on Purchasing a MSD for my 2009 YZ450F supermoto

thanks doug

• moosekak

Posted July 07, 2012 - 07:35 PM

I ended up buying the vortex for mine and I love it! Was surprised to really feel that big of a difference. My favorite is the power every where map, kinda reminds me of my days of riding a two stroke. Makes it zippy and a blast to ride. Still havn't played around with everyone of the maps but i'm glad I made the purchase.

• dm09YZ250F

Posted July 08, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Thank you for the feedback

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.