DNA Wheel Hub Spacers Don't Fit

7 replies to this topic
  • JonDirt

Posted January 23, 2012 - 01:40 PM

I bought some DNA wheels off Craigs list, and can't seem to make the front work with any combination of spacers, which either the supplied ones, or with the factory ones.

The seller said these came off of a 2007 YZ450, and mine is a 2006 YZ450 so I'm assuming they are the same.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this?

• Weapon X

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:37 PM

I have an '08 yz450 with exact problem so I got more spacers sent out from DNA , which came about 10 months later and they were the same ones so now I'm having them custom made from a machinest. Truthfully these rims are crap.

• WGP

Posted March 20, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Are they still using a crush tubes on those?

I bought one a few years ago not knowing they came with a stupid crush tube and custom size bearings. Woudn't fit on my bike (2006 YZ450) without using the stock spacers (which you cannot put in the wheel)

I called them and requested they make their hubs the same size as stock so you can replace the bearings yourself AND use the stock spacers.

I literally threw the whole wheel in the garbage! Brand new!

• Weapon X

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:54 PM

wait what the hell are crush tubes? if you don't mind me askin, cuz I've noticed the ends if the inner spacer are a weak aluminium cylinder that makes installing the wheel spacers a real chore

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted March 21, 2012 - 12:19 PM

Crush Tubes are the aluminum sleeve that goes through the hub that DNA wheels use.

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2012 - 01:50 PM

This is a scheme that high quality aftermarket modular hubs (as differentiated from DNA) use to allow them to build a single main hub with one set of bearings that can be fit to a broad range of applications by changing the center spacer and outer spacers. The center spacer is made with an ID the same size as the target axle, and with a machined step on each end to fit the bearings. Nothing wrong with the basic setup except that it complicates bearing replacement.

• Weapon X

Posted March 22, 2012 - 07:16 PM

The aluminium used seems very weak and thin though and when axle is torqed seems to mushroom the end

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2012 - 06:51 AM

That's because they didn't do it right. The steps on the center spacer should not extend beyond the bearing edge, and the bearing should be enough larger ID than the biggest axle they're used for to allow a reasonably thick walled step section. The material used has to be sturdy, too, obviously, but these are some of the things that get bypassed when the low cost option is chosen.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.