2006 yz450 aftermarket ignition?

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtrider44

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have a 06yz450fstock that has a full Fmf exhaust, dynojet jet kit, and am soon putting a loud mouth Ms intake system on it. I love the bike but I was curious as to if a rev box or ignition booster or any of those type things will do much. I have never tried any of those. Any input would be great.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:10 PM

Dyna and Vortex make multi-map CDI's for your bike.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 23, 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh, I forgot. MSD Powersports also makes a programable CDI that's similar to the Vortex.

http://www.msdpowers...-Yamaha-YZ450F/

• dirtrider44

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:06 PM

do those all just plug and play? or are they like a powercommander where u gotta play with the map on the cpu to get it correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:25 PM

Some are, some aren't. Vortex makes a couple of different models that let you choose between from 2 to 7 different built-in maps. Not sure about Dyna. I believe they all come with some number of built-in base maps and can be used out of the box, but that may not be true.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:37 PM

The Dyna comes with a stock '06 YZ450 timing map programmed into it. You will have to buy an interface cable ($100) to hook to your computer to reprogram but the software if free from Dyna's website.

The Vortex has 10 different programs pre-installed and a handlebar mounted switch. The switch allows selecting between the stock ignition curve or one of the 10 programs in the box. Which one of the 10 maps is determined by a small rotary switch on the box. There is information on the 10 different curves included with the box. The Vortec can be reprogramed by sending back to MT racing. there is a user reprogramming option available but it costs $800.

The MSD is identical in function to the Vortex unit, but its made by MSD. The Vortex is made in Australia. The MSD is similar to the Dyna as far as reprogramming.

All of these units are considered 'plug-n-play' and can be hooked up and run right out of the box.

Edited by 2grimjim, January 23, 2012 - 02:37 PM.

• dirtrider44

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:00 PM

in your guys openions, what is the best deal for the $$$? Vortex seems like its the best deal but im curious what you think

• 2grimjim

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:06 PM

in your guys openions, what is the best deal for the $$$? Vortex seems like its the best deal but im curious what you think

The MSD is the best deal ($340 retail). All of the features of the Vortex for $100 less and you can reprogram yourself instead of sending it out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.