Safe operating Temperature

7 replies to this topic
  • sledtrash

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hey all I searched for a while and I couldn't find anything concrete so here goes. 2006 Yz450 with WR lighting system I have converted my bike to a dual-sport via WR parts exchange, and now for the times when I'm riding the bike in town I want to put a cooling fan on it.

My question is what operating temperature should I limit my bike to. I'm going to put a temp sensor in a water line then run a little red light in my switch cluster behind the headlight, when the bike reach's the temperature and the light comes on I'll have a toggle switch to turn the fan on. I'm looking at temp sensors from Cole Hersee the options are 184-216F, 253-273F, or 190-210. I was thinking the 190-210 because that is what my truck runs the best at... but I wasn't sure if the temp on these bikes should be hotter to allow better running.... But heat is an engines enemy so....

Any thoughts?

Also I saw mention of a spal fan kit? Is this a worthwhile buy or should I just buy a waterproof fan from someplace else?

• briangriff321

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Water boil at 212 at sea level so you wouldnt want anything over

• sledtrash

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Yes but it isn't straight water. You should be running 50/50 antifreeze/water

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yes but it isn't straight water. You should be running 50/50 antifreeze/water

It also isn't at sea level pressures inside the cooling system with a 16 PSI cap on it. A 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol /water at 16 PSI (1.1 bar) at sea level should boil at around 270. Ideally, if you were to have a switch activate a fan on the system, I'd want it on at about 230-240 and off at 200-210 (℉)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sledtrash

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:58 PM

So gray, out of the possible temperature settings what should I use? Or is there another company that I could get the setting recommended?

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2012 - 08:03 AM

Of those 3, I'd like to pick the highest one, but the high threshold at 273 is a bit much. I guess the 216 if the switch are on at the high listed temp and off at the low. But I think I'd shop a little more. No idea where off the top of my head.

• Kaw_04_250f

Posted January 25, 2012 - 04:16 AM

If you just want a readout of the temp and are going to switch the fan on manually, maybe you could use one of these. http://trailtech.net...emperature.html

• sledtrash

Posted January 25, 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well I'm going to buy trail tech voyager which will give me a read out on the temp. So I just need a inline sensor

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.