WR450 Engine noise - Help!

8 replies to this topic
  • 04WR450man

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Hi all :smirk:

My 04 WR450 has developed a strange noise, I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to check before stripping her down? Its a clatterery type noise that is most noticeable holding the engine at constant revs ie. riding at 30-40mph in 5th gear.

Basically, it has only done a handful of rides after being apart due to a 5th gear problem (dogs worn out). It is still running perfectly but it has developed this strange vibration/noise.(It came all of a sudden). I cant tell where its coming from, So far I have checked the valve clearances, they were fine.
Next I checked the primary nut on the clutch side, seemed nice and tight but the shaft does have in/out play in it and the clutch hub/basket has play too. My manual doesn't say much about this, could this be my problem? How much, if any, is a normal amount of play in this area?The noise is the same with the clutch depressed.

Could it possibly be a bad little end, or big end/crank???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Many thanks

Trev

• 2grimjim

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:55 AM

Do you have an aftermarket Aluminum skid plate on your bike?

• 04WR450man

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply :smirk: Yes I do, always have had one. Unfortunately the noise does not go away when you take it off, already tried that!

• Stealth13

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Is it vibrating the whole bike? Like feel it in the handle bars?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 04WR450man

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply :smirk:
No, the vibration really is not that bad, its more the noise. I know they are naturally quite noisy anyway but this a step above that. (I have had two WR's)
I have been playing with it today and when you rev the engine in neutral, i am sure I can hear a tap tap tap as the revs come back down, which it definitely did not do before.

Many thanks

Trev

• Stealth13

Posted January 23, 2012 - 11:24 AM

If this were a car I would say the lifters ticking, not sure if its the same in a bike?

• 2grimjim

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply :smirk:
No, the vibration really is not that bad, its more the noise. I know they are naturally quite noisy anyway but this a step above that. (I have had two WR's)
I have been playing with it today and when you rev the engine in neutral, i am sure I can hear a tap tap tap as the revs come back down, which it definitely did not do before.

Many thanks

Trev

Rattles, knocks, or vibrations on deceleration usually indicate a rod bearing or wrist pin problem. Has this engine ever been apart?

• 04WR450man

Posted January 24, 2012 - 03:54 AM

Hi,

Yes it was apart not that long ago to replace 5th gear. There was zero play in the bearings, but I suppose anything could of happened since then.

Looks like stripping it down is the only way I can go. I take it play in the clutch basket & movement in the primary shaft is considered normal then?

Thanks

Trev

• 2grimjim

Posted January 24, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

Yes it was apart not that long ago to replace 5th gear. There was zero play in the bearings, but I suppose anything could of happened since then.

Looks like stripping it down is the only way I can go. I take it play in the clutch basket & movement in the primary shaft is considered normal then?

Thanks

Trev

A little end play in the mainshaft and countershaft is normal but if it's much more than .010" (.25mm) I'd be looking closely at that too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.