check valve clearance

6 replies to this topic
  • chainy

Posted January 22, 2012 - 07:43 AM

I have an 09 kx 250f and it starts fine cold but warm its a bitch, anyway I'm checking the valves for the first time and how much pressure do you use to get the feeler gauge btween the shim and lobe. I have to push pretty hard to get them in and it feels like I'm opening the valve by doing it. I'm very mechanically inclined and it I don't think you shouldn't need that kind of pressure. I would think light pressure in and out. nothing that flexes the feeler gauge, right? Shimming seams pretty simple but it looks like you need the proper reading to get it within spec.

• antleo

Posted January 22, 2012 - 07:49 AM

you are correct you dont need a lot of pressure.

• T.RexRacing

Posted January 22, 2012 - 08:09 AM

If you need some pratice on :"feel" use a micrometer and set it to .010". Then wipe the .010" feeler clean and insert it into the mic. That's how I learned and it's served me well for a long time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted January 22, 2012 - 08:15 AM

The feeler shold slide in, minimal drag. Not forced nor slip in with no effort. You have to ensure you go straight in and not at an angle as they can confuse you. Be sure the lobe (the 'bump') is pointing AWAY from the vavle stem/bucket 180 degrees.

If you force a feeler in, it will take about the same effort to force an even thicker one in. Once in, feel the drag. Go down in sizes till teh drag barely goes away. That will be the size. Next thinner will feel loose.

• Limelight

Posted January 22, 2012 - 08:18 AM

T.REX, nice suggestion... I just went in the garage and tried that one. Very clever. I wish I'd thought of it. :smirk:

• chainy

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:20 AM

thanks guys, i'll go check them out.

• still2smokin

Posted January 22, 2012 - 11:53 AM

You could also pick a "go-no-go" feeler gauge set pretty cheaply and any auto parts store.
They are great if you havent used feeler gauges much, they have the size you want at the
tip then .002 thicker about a half inch in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kx 250f vs yz 250 vs yz125 by kxrider1001

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 Beta 350 RR EFI Dirtbiketest.com by Johnny Depp

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

kx250f exhaust recommendations? by DeviousPete

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy a kx65 or 85 or some other bike by parisp22

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

A Word On Corrosion by Oldmossyspokes

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M   CRF250 L/M FAQ
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.