Rekluse CoreEXP 2.0 (The Truth)

Engine Clutch & Components Rekluse Core EXP Auto-Clutch Brand Rekluse

66 replies to this topic
  • jaydavis226

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Great thread. after reading I'm buying core.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:41 PM

My 09 starts in gear no problem with the Pro.

I was in the basement earlier this month putting some ASV levers on my 2011 450 (clutch and brake) The ASV clutch i put on was the Pro-Clutch so after putting the perch on and lever I had to set the perch adjuster to its middle setting so when i took the slack out of the lever by the cable adjuster I would be in the middle of the perch knob adjuster to tighten or loosen.

Long story short,I have the EXP 2.0 (just ring) in mine so after putting the ASV on I had to start the bike to adjust the cable setting. I thought I had it in neutral and on the third kick it started. I let it sit there and idle for about 10 sec's and cracked the throttle.........It laid a black mark on my new plastic tile here..

Posted Image

• D-K

Posted March 01, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Basically the EXP on it's own uses far less frictions than stock and stock weighting on the pressure plate, because it uses the standard pressure plate and springs.

Actually not true, the EXP 2.0 comes with stiffer clutch springs than stock. Probably an attempt to increase longevity with fewer plates.

• BigGreenMachineNL

Posted March 04, 2012 - 11:48 AM

I was in the basement earlier this month putting some ASV levers on my 2011 450 (clutch and brake) The ASV clutch i put on was the Pro-Clutch so after putting the perch on and lever I had to set the perch adjuster to its middle setting so when i took the slack out of the lever by the cable adjuster I would be in the middle of the perch knob adjuster to tighten or loosen.

Long story short,I have the EXP 2.0 (just ring) in mine so after putting the ASV on I had to start the bike to adjust the cable setting. I thought I had it in neutral and on the third kick it started. I let it sit there and idle for about 10 sec's and cracked the throttle.........It laid a black mark on my new plastic tile here..

How do you like the EXP in your 450?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 04, 2012 - 06:29 PM

How do you like the EXP in your 450?

I love it!!! One of the best mods you can do to a 450 IMO. Like today.....It was the first race of our series and it was blowing snow off and on at the track and it barely got to 42 degrees. This morning it was 32 and at noon.... maybe 40. It made riding really hard cause your fingers got so cold but since I had the EXP 2.0 in I didnt have to use the clutch at all.
I rode the whole race in 3rd gear and sometimes on the stretches went to 4th.

Anyways I wouldn't own a bike without an EXP after riding with one now.

• BigGreenMachineNL

Posted March 05, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Darnit!! Going to have to give in and order one. (Next time say it sucks!) :bonk:

• roostingu

Posted March 17, 2012 - 12:41 AM

Interesting article....I recently bought 2 exp 2.0 (not core) cheapest option, for my 300 XC and 530 EXC not happy with either, I have owned the Z-start pro on a couple bikes in the past and was very happy with its performance in tight single track the more technical the better. Rekluse has been very good offering me springs and wedges to further tune this EXP but I cannot get the 300 to lock quickly enough at any rpm...and the 530 works good in lower gears but 4th gear and up it wants to slip. I am going back to the pro hands down a better clutch. Its true its a little more complicated to tune, but once you get it dialed its great.

• Gunner354

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Interesting article....I recently bought 2 exp 2.0 (not core) cheapest option, for my 300 XC and 530 EXC not happy with either, I have owned the Z-start pro on a couple bikes in the past and was very happy with its performance in tight single track the more technical the better. Rekluse has been very good offering me springs and wedges to further tune this EXP but I cannot get the 300 to lock quickly enough at any rpm...and the 530 works good in lower gears but 4th gear and up it wants to slip. I am going back to the pro hands down a better clutch. Its true its a little more complicated to tune, but once you get it dialed its great.

I've been saying this all along about the Pro being the best clutch for most people. If you set it up as recommended it works perfect. We just checked the installed gap on an 09 yz450 with close to 400 hrs and the gap was tighter than new. I believe this is due to the use of Redline oil and the slight swelling it causes. So with the Pro and Redline oil you can go for what seems forever on stock clutch discs.

• briangriff321

Posted March 17, 2012 - 05:15 PM

i went with the pro alsoo on my 12 yz450 and i like it way better then the exp

• jaydavis226

Posted March 18, 2012 - 01:18 AM

I've had mine for a week now, 2 days at the track. I love it. faster lap times. braking into turns feels smoother

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cameronkfulk

Posted December 21, 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have to interject very late... but I've been talking with our sponsor rep at Rekluse about the different products for our needs. We are racing the Baja (how we managed the sponsorship), we all place well in the AMRA single track series (includes 1st southwest AMA hare scramble race each season). Some of the team is slow.. others fast.. and I was pushing towards a Z-start... but after hours of talking and questions I found that for my needs and the teams needs we opted for CORE EXP for the Race bike and most of us are using it on our pre-running personal bikes.

Rekluse spent hours with each rider going over what we needed.. and they recommended the Core EXP 2.0 for our needs that it provides a quicker lock up and quicker release, they stated the Z start can have pop stalls... the Core EXP would not. We were also informed that the clutch friction disks will last longer on this set up.. We were told the down side is the EXP 2.0 will wear out after a couple years and need to have the two halves replaced once the friction were worn down.

They mentioned that the Z-start is a great bullet proof product but the action of it is not what we needed.

They are using the Core EXP with supercross, motocross for this year 2013 and we are a full baja team racing this product.. not just a couple personal bikes but our race bike for the baja is going to have the Core EXP, Handbrake... and all the goodies.

I think that each person needs to call rekluse and ask the questions and explain the use... they aren't pushing for the CORE.. they talk you through the pro's and con's of each... and finally ask you what you want... They aren't impatient... I felt they really just wanted to provide me with the best product for my situation.

• roostingu

Posted February 05, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I have 2 bikes with Z-Start Pro clutches and I am completely satisfied and think is probably the best choice for tight single

track,(never ever had a pop stall on a 2-stroke but once on a big 4-stroke rider error) I recently bought a new KTM 2013 500 EXC with the new DDS type clutch and rekluse doesn't make the Z-Start Pro for this bike, I am thinking this is a new trend unfortunately as the Core EXP is about $200 more and from the look of it can be produced cheaper. Anyway I am going with the Core EXP and I am optimistic from what I have read and with the new adjustable clutch slave this could be a winner. not that I ever really had to tune the Z-start. I will report how this new clutch performs.

• cameronkfulk

Posted March 07, 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have to add to this post... I've recently installed a core exp... and immediately ran it in ama round 1 and 3 hare scrambles in AZ and flawless.... with no change in free play... I opted to have more free play to allow some wear during the race... the first race it hadn't been broken in... I practiced for 4 hours on ACP's track the day prior to the scramble... checked the free play.. no change... raced to 2 hour scrambles with rocks... silt... sand... dirt... damn cholla.... Not a single issue...

That being said if you have an older clutch basket... 2 years old with normal use.. or a year hard ass use... or a basket with some grooves... then you must change the baskets... You absolutely will get some chatter if the rubber is shot behind the basket... and the grooves will prevent smooth clutch engagement and disengagement....

I have not run into free wheeling... I have stalled it once...but again I have a 1/4 inch of free play.. and Rekluse said that could happen with that much.

It is the best thing you can buy for a bike... even if you love the manual clutch... this will beat your hand in smoothness every time... Our baja team captain was against it... we got sponsored and he put one on... Its funny watching him try to ride a manual clutch bike now... it took around 2 days of riding for him to be sold.

The down side... well damn, you get a new ride it might not fit... and i will be damned if I'm riding a clutch again... screw that!!!

• cameronkfulk

Posted March 07, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yeah mine with the Core has too much static friction.

Which means I could potentially back it off, but, would this not just create more free play gain... and late/partial lockup?

No... I have a tight clutch... I have 1/4 " of free play gain cause I wanted good solid lock up .. and with 2 hour desert races I didn't want to have to worry about burning up a clutch pack... If you reduce the free play gain buy turning more then the full revolution plus two ticks.. you actually add space in the pack between the plates.. this reduces total free play gain.. which if you go below the recommended settings you are not locking up completely and wearing out plates... also I talked to chuck at rekluse and he stated if you have aftermarket frictions that it will hang more.. that oem or rekluse frictions are the best for consistency.

Cold starts are more difficult especially if you run the diesel engine oil rekluse recommends... cause it drags the frictions.. once it warms up I can start in gear without issue. (AMRA usually has dead engine starts)

• mfoti

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I would like to add that i just put a Z-start pro on my 2011 450f. I am an MX beginner rider with only 20 hours on the bike. I am a fish out of water on a 450 constantly wrestling with the power/clutch even after mapping it to take the sting out. I added the rekluse and for the first time ever i am able to manage the power in the turns. I can't say enough about how much easier it is to ride this bike after adding this clutch and I am now glad i got the 450 over the 250. I enjoy the light clutch lever feel of the pro. My old age could be a factor but the i always had a hard time pulling the stock lever.

• baca707

Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Dose it allow motor braking on downhills? Or do you have to only depend on your brakes to control speed? Just about to grab the core exp 2.0 for my 2012 yz450f... Thanks for the detailed post by the way!

• MrBlahh

Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Dose it allow motor braking on downhills? Or do you have to only depend on your brakes to control speed? Just about to grab the core exp 2.0 for my 2012 yz450f... Thanks for the detailed post by the way!

yes if it's setup like mine, the only way I can get mine to freewheel is if the engine is shut off

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:05 PM

It can be made to freewheel only by pulling the clutch lever and letting the revs drop to idle. One blip of the throttle and it hooks back up.

• baca707

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Sweet thanks for letting me know... Ill be getting the exp 2.0 soon. After reading this thread has helped me to finally pony up the funds...

• motomike137

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:27 AM

Just replaced my complete clutch assembly with the Core Exp 2.0 and Rekluse basket (2011 YZ450). I've ridden it at one practice and yesterday at a LL Area Qualifier in Michigan and I can safely say this is the coolest and best mod I have ever spent my hard earned dollars on. I had it installed by my local suspension/tuner guy Jeff Plawecki @ JPSpeed and he has these things figured out. Mine works flawlessly and definitely aided me in garnering a good finish yesterday in some challenging (rutty/rough) conditions at one of Michigan's finest old school moto tracks (Polka Dots, Midland). I did have one hiccup with it though, I was behind the start gate with the motor running and I was warming my hands blipping the throttle and putting my palms behind the exhaust outlet ( it was cold and it even snowed at one point!) and at some point I snicked it in gear without realizing, I reached back with my left hand and blipped the throttle with my right and my bike lurched into the gate! My buddy two gates down was laughing his butt off and luckily I caught it before it did any damage besides to my pride :) The challenge now is to learn to really take advantage of the thing, to drive in harder and focus on rolling corners much more efficiently. I've never been great at it and have been a real bumbler with the clutch lever at times when I get brain fade. I am looking forward to riding my bike more than I have in a long long time.

Edited by motomike137, May 13, 2013 - 04:57 AM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.