Rekluse CoreEXP 2.0 (The Truth)

Engine Clutch & Components Rekluse Core EXP Auto-Clutch Brand Rekluse

66 replies to this topic
  • briangriff321

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:59 PM

The on/off feeling im talkin about is at the lever.....no adjustment can fix that...its just the way it is..talkin about the z start by the way

• Gunner354

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:27 PM

I would not waste money on the exp. Like I said the Pro works better at slower speeds. This is from Rekluse themselves. The exp does give you a more normal clutch lever feel which is sometimes more suited for motocross. This statement is also straight from Rekluse

• MrBlahh

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:48 PM

they dont even make pro's for my bike

I wish revlok/dynaring was still around, they made clutches for xr400's and kdx200's

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:26 PM

I would not waste money on the exp. Like I said the Pro works better at slower speeds. This is from Rekluse themselves. The exp does give you a more normal clutch lever feel which is sometimes more suited for motocross. This statement is also straight from Rekluse

OK. but again, the EXP is not the clutch being discussed in this thread. That one is the Core EXP. Same technology, but completely different.

The on/off feeling im talkin about is at the lever.....no adjustment can fix that...its just the way it is..talkin about the z start by the way

Yes, but using the lever with a ZSP is a little like using the shifter on an automatic trans to pop it in and out of gear all the time while you're maneuvering in a parking lot. It's pretty much completely unnecessary, for one thing, and works counter to the operation of the unit. The trouble is that most of the time you are trying to use the lever, you will be in the rpm range in which the clutch is attempting to engage itself, so you will get inconsistent feedback from the lever as a result. Manual feathering works fine if the revs are kept beyond about 3500.

• STOIE

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Gray thanks for pointing that out.

This goes back to what I was originally trying to point out with the naming...

EXP, EXP 2.0, CoreEXP, CoreEXP 2.0, zStart Pro are all different clutches.

• briangriff321

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:37 PM

I got the exp in my kx250 and it works good no doubt...also got the z start on my dads 426 and it works good....its all abouy pros and cons....even though i think ima go z start pro on my 12 450 ...a. doesnt cost 900.00 b. Easier to start in gear

• STOIE

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:40 PM

I got the exp in my kx250 and it works good no doubt...also got the z start on my dads 426 and it works good....its all abouy pros and cons....even though i think ima go z start pro on my 12 450 ...a. doesnt cost 900.00 b. Easier to start in gear

Damn straight, your correct with that.
The CoreEXP 2.0 is difficult to start in gear, is the zStart easy?
And the cost is (as I first pointed out) one of the main reasons to turn away from the Core setup.

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2012 - 04:16 PM

The CoreEXP 2.0 is difficult to start in gear, is the zStart easy?

Mine's not...normally. Yesterday was interesting because I had only two short rides on the clutch since replacing the plates, and it did start really well in gear. In fact I started my race that way and got off very well on the first kick (dead engine start). By the end of the race, two hours later, it wouldn't do it anymore. Haven't tried it since to see if it was heat related or not.

Usually, it won't start in gear, but it wouldn't do that with the stock clutch either.

• briangriff321

Posted January 23, 2012 - 04:21 PM

I can get my 12 to start in gear on the first kick so id lile to try to keep it that way haha

• Gunner354

Posted January 23, 2012 - 04:36 PM

My 09 starts in gear no problem with the Pro.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STOIE

Posted January 23, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yeah mine with the Core has too much static friction.

Which means I could potentially back it off, but, would this not just create more free play gain... and late/partial lockup?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted January 24, 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm not understanding something here..... :smirk: And I hope it's okay to ask this here within this discussion...... :bonk:

What's NOT to like about the less expensive EXP? Don't the Core EXP & the EXP work on the same principle?

Jimmie

Edited by Mr. Neutron, January 24, 2012 - 11:45 AM.

• STOIE

Posted January 24, 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm not understanding something here..... :smirk: And I hope it's okay to ask this here within this discussion...... :bonk:

What's NOT to like about the less expensive EXP? Don't the Core EXP & the EXP work on the same principle?

Jimmie

Hey Jimmie,

No that's a very valid question!
Reasoning is fairly straight forward, but, may seem odd that you pay over double the price for it.

Basically the EXP on it's own uses far less frictions than stock and stock weighting on the pressure plate, because it uses the standard pressure plate and springs.
While the CoreEXP setup uses stock number of frictions -1, (9 - 2 + EXP = 8) more frictions means less clutch burn and better lockup (lowered chance to slip when it shouldn't be). It also uses a custom pressure plate and load springs, this means the clutch action of the EXP can be more precisely tuned and provides the ability to allow for stock lever action.
By having the pressure plate "hold" at a rate perfectly matched to the EXP unit itself, it's able to provide better lockup.
To achieve this, you need to have a custom inner clutch (longer), a custom pressure plate, new steels (reduce stack height) and a new clutch cover (to contain the larger stack).
Basically these extra components are what your paying for and to be honest when it comes to quantity of bits involved, the Core setup gives you more stuff for your money! lol

Edited by STOIE, January 24, 2012 - 01:54 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2012 - 02:14 PM

That's basically it. The CoreEXP is an overall beefier, serious racing grade clutch, whereas the EXP 2.0, with fewer plates and all stock components is really not suitable for extremely hard use like full time racing or really hard off-road use. Riders who fall more into the recreational category probably don't need the Core EXP, but they might be better served by the Z-Start pro.

• briangriff321

Posted January 24, 2012 - 02:36 PM

I have the exp 2.0 raced mutiple national enduros, gncc and local series on it and never had a problem....but this is on a kx250....on big 450 four stroke i dont think the exp 2.0 would hold up for long

• Mr. Neutron

Posted January 24, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Okay, thanks Fellas!!! :lol:

I knew the Core EXP came with the center part of the clutch, I believe a pressure plate, clutch plates, springs, the auto-clutch portion of the equation, and a cover. I like the idea of the claimed better oiling & such with the Core EXP. I never thought about, or counted the clutch plate factor in the deal.

I'm no "A" class rider, so I don't feel I'm uber-hard on my clutch. I don't tend to be a clutch abuser. But I do a couple of Old Timer's/Vet races a year, an enduro, a few hare scrambles, and some trail rides. I've actually been saving money for an EXP. Maybe I'd be better off with the Core EXP, it sounds like.....

Swell....... Now, I have to save even more money...... :bonk: :smirk:

Stoie, you started a thread a week or two back about your gearing. Have you gotten to ride your bike enough now todecide if your stock gearing is gonna work okay with the Rekluse?

Jimmie

• STOIE

Posted January 24, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Okay, thanks Fellas!!! :lol:

I knew the Core EXP came with the center part of the clutch, I believe a pressure plate, clutch plates, springs, the auto-clutch portion of the equation, and a cover. I like the idea of the claimed better oiling & such with the Core EXP. I never thought about, or counted the clutch plate factor in the deal.

I'm no "A" class rider, so I don't feel I'm uber-hard on my clutch. I don't tend to be a clutch abuser. But I do a couple of Old Timer's/Vet races a year, an enduro, a few hare scrambles, and some trail rides. I've actually been saving money for an EXP. Maybe I'd be better off with the Core EXP, it sounds like.....

Swell....... Now, I have to save even more money...... :bonk: :smirk:

Stoie, you started a thread a week or two back about your gearing. Have you gotten to ride your bike enough now todecide if your stock gearing is gonna work okay with the Rekluse?

Jimmie

I haven't touched the gearing yet, although I have a 12T I can put on at anytime.
With the Rekluse the gearing is no longer part of the equation when it comes to actually riding...
Only thing will be heat buildup, from constantly riding the clutch. It hasn't spewed yet, so, I will wait until it does before I touch anything.

But, I have noticed the Rekluse only rides the clutch when it HAS TO!
Unlike me where I ride the clutch much more than required and rev the bike more than required when in the tight stuff, to try and avoid stalling.
So, the lack of this now may be my saving grace, making me able to keep my stock gearing.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2012 - 08:35 PM

I haven't touched the gearing yet, although I have a 12T I can put on at anytime.
With the Rekluse the gearing is no longer part of the equation when it comes to actually riding...
Only thing will be heat buildup, from constantly riding the clutch. It hasn't spewed yet, so, I will wait until it does before I touch anything.

But, I have noticed the Rekluse only rides the clutch when it HAS TO!
Unlike me where I ride the clutch much more than required and rev the bike more than required when in the tight stuff, to try and avoid stalling.
So, the lack of this now may be my saving grace, making me able to keep my stock gearing.

I run one tooth higher than stock gearing on my '06 (13/48) in the desert races here. I use a Z-Start Pro. A month ago we had a race that included a twisted 1/4 mile rock garden and other stuff that had the fast guys turning 23 minute laps on a 10 mile loop. I had smoke coming out the breather on the first lap while picking through the rocks and stalled riders like I knew what I was doing. Never over heated the engine, didn't hurt the clutch. The key is what your sentence in bold above says.

• bushman45

Posted January 24, 2012 - 08:58 PM

they dont even make pro's for my bike

I wish revlok/dynaring was still around, they made clutches for xr400's and kdx200's

it's revloc and i have one in my 450, never a better deal. no stall, quick lock up, install and go.

• STOIE

Posted January 25, 2012 - 11:55 PM

So, tried a few things today...

1) I can start in gear no problems! - Didn't realize at first, but, after the bike is at least mildy warm it will start in gear no issue.
2) I've got it to spew with stock gearing, however, it was more because I was just doing stupid things in really really tight terrain, barely moving.

So, considering how hard it was, doubt I will change the gearing, it was more due to having basically no air moving through the rads.
A fan would be an awesome thing to have though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.