Rekluse CoreEXP 2.0 (The Truth)

Engine Clutch & Components Rekluse Core EXP Auto-Clutch Brand Rekluse

66 replies to this topic
  • STOIE

Posted January 22, 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hey all,

Okay, facts upfront, this will hopefully make it a straight forward point of view.
2005 Yamaha YZ450F (4speed Trans)
Rider 240lbs
14/51 "factory" gearing

I installed the Rekluse CoreEXP 2.0, not the regular CoreEXP, not the EXP 2.0, not the zStar Pro...

When, reading up on the Rekluse discussions it has been a nightmare, I believe the "not so" straight forward naming used for the Rekluse products is partly to blame, but, anyway...
Now, that I am in the know, I wish for others to know:

Rekluse EXP 2.0 - Rekluse 2.0 expanding disc technology ring. This setup replaces some of your factory friction discs (4-5ish) and steels with the Rekluse EXP 2.0 disc making your clutch automatic, can takeoff/stop in 1st gear with throttle only no clutch lever action required, clutch action is "not normal" (stiffer), but, remains "usable". Amount of friction material is significantly less than stock, thus weaker clutch lockup and lowered longevity. (this is NOT what I installed)

Rekluse CoreEXP - Rekluse 1.0 expanding disc technology ring, clutch center, pressure plate, larger clutch cover and steels. (uses factory basket) This setup uses 7 of your factory friction discs on a new clutch center, with new steels and a new pressure plate. The EXP ring replaces some of your existing frictions but not many (2ish). This makes your clutch automatic, can takeoff/stop in 1st gear with throttle only no clutch lever action required, clutch action is "normal", and remains entirely "usable". Amount of friction material remain basically stock, thus allowing for strong clutch lockup and longevity. (this is NOT what I installed, I installed v2.0)

Rekluse vStart Pro - Rekluse ball action clutch, I don't know everything about this product, but, it has a more "centrifugal" type action. Basically stock friction material, means strong clutch lockup and good lifespan. Comes with basically the full kit, inner clutch, pressure plate etc. (still no basket) Very adjustable, but, fiddly. (this is NOT what I installed)

Rekluse CoreEXP 2.0 - Rekluse 2.0 expanding disc technology ring, clutch center, pressure plate, larger clutch cover and steels. (uses factory basket) This setup uses 7 of your factory friction discs on a new clutch center, with new steels and a new pressure plate. The EXP ring replaces some of your existing frictions but not many (2ish). This makes your clutch automatic, can takeoff/stop in 1st gear with throttle only no clutch lever action required, clutch action is "normal", and remains entirely "usable". Amount of friction material remain basically stock, thus allowing for strong clutch lockup and longevity. (this IS what I installed)

EXP 1.0 vs 2.0 - This is the design of the "expanding disc" rekluse has come up with. 1.0 is single sided, with all the bolts facing one direction, has to be fitted in a specific direction. The 2.0 is double sided, can be fitted either direction and has half the bolts facing one side, half facing the other. The 2.0's wedges (or weights) that fly out expanding the disc under speed, contain ball bearings helping them glide with a much more "normal" action every time rpm builds, this is a feature the 1.0 disc is lacking.

Now, onto my findings.

So, I came to the conclusion of getting the full deal CoreEXP 2.0.
Many have said this clutch feels grabby and not "smooth" enough with it's lockup to be used on tight trails. (light wedges can be used (not included) for softer lockup and heavy wedges for stronger lockup (again, not included). This initially put me a little off and I felt like I would need the "light" wedges for the trails and tight technical riding I am doing, but, with advise from rekluse, they said try it first! so I did.

The CoreEXP 2.0 was an easy install, as per the video on the Rekluse website it was a breeze, I would strongly recommend watching the video demo rather than the manual as they conflict a little and to be honest the video is much easier to follow and lacks some of the mistakes in the instructions.

I adjusted the clutch to "one full turn" from the starting point on the pressure plate (as per video), my clutch free play (NOT free play gain) was fine, didn't need adjusting.
Then, I did (as per the instructions), put the bike into first gear with the clutch in, release the clutch while in gear, make sure it doesn't move forward... (fine).
Next, 20 starts in 2nd gear... then another 10 in 3rd. (no clutch lever, just throttle). (this all went very well).

Came back the garage, let the bike cool, then took off the cover again.
Unwound the pressure plate adjuster, then one full turn plus two marks from the starting position (as per video).
Bolted it back together...

In neutral, held the lever free play in, then revved the bike, I have just what the video said, about an 1/8" free play gain on the lever. (perfect!)
Threw it in first and took off!

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!

Clutch action for my weight (240lbs) is perfect, beautifully smooth, not tough lockup, but, not over slipping either!
All I can say is the recommended settings for this unit are perfect (for my weight), in the tight stuff, beautiful not harsh at all, not light at all, just perfect.

I tried doing a manual over-ride holeshot also, first with the clutch in, rev it, dump it... bang, first, second, third, fourth... wheel spin all the way, just awesome!

I cannot rate this product enough, and at the end of the day have to say the people at Rekluse are bang on the money.
Don't consider the zStart or EXP (other than for cost), the CoreEXP 2.0 is the real winner, no matter what kind of riding your doing.

And for all those people who say learn to use the clutch, at the end of the day guys, (skill levels equal), you will always lose to the rekluse!
It enables you to ride those tracks you always wanted but, just couldn't with the constant feathering of the clutch.

Thanks Rekluse for bringing us a top product!

My Ratings:
Ease of install 9/10 (only since it was hard for me to find a 9ft lb torque wrench for the PP springs).
Performance 10/10
Build quality 10/10 (so far, it's hard to take meaning on this as I haven't had it long, but, the quality of the components is top notch).

Thanks for reading guys.

Edited by STOIE, January 23, 2012 - 12:45 PM.

• Gunner354

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:09 AM

I would like to add a comment about the z-start Pro. It has been installed on a YZ450 with over 400 hours on the original clutch. It is absolutely perfect in tight single track and cheaper.

• briangriff321

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Hows the drag in gear at a dead engine start

• STOIE

Posted January 22, 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hows the drag in gear at a dead engine start

Pretty much the same as it was before, in gear with the clutch disengaged = too hard to start.

• STOIE

Posted January 22, 2012 - 07:58 AM

I would like to add a comment about the z-start Pro. It has been installed on a YZ450 with over 400 hours on the original clutch. It is absolutely perfect in tight single track and cheaper.

Yeah, I have read that kind of comment about it alot on the internet, many people of the years have loved the zStart for trial riding.
Just want to say thought, my mention of "reduced longevity" is purely theoretical and may not necessarily be correct in reality.

• Gunner354

Posted January 22, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Even Rekluse says that the Pro model is better for single track. Smoother engagement ,where the exp is more of an off/on feeling.
The longevity comment is off base from reality. The clutch with the Pro version lasts a very long time.

• briangriff321

Posted January 22, 2012 - 12:17 PM

The exp doesnt have the on/off feeling you can slip it just like a regular clutch...the zstart is on/off which is a good candidate for left hand brake

• STOIE

Posted January 22, 2012 - 12:50 PM

The exp doesnt have the on/off feeling you can slip it just like a regular clutch...the zstart is on/off which is a good candidate for left hand brake

Yeah good point, I added the note "stiffer" to my summary.
I believe the EXP 2.0 as I added has full clutch lever action, but, doesn't retain the "stock" feeling, it's a fair bit stiffer than stock.

• MrBlahh

Posted January 22, 2012 - 12:54 PM

I own both a pro and a core exp 2.0, the pro is smoother both of mine start in gear without touching the clutch

• STOIE

Posted January 22, 2012 - 01:06 PM

I own both a pro and a core exp 2.0, the pro is smoother both of mine start in gear without touching the clutch

Yeah I believe that's the case, a more centrifugal type of release... but, you wouldn't say the Core is harsh would you? (with my weight, I wouldn't say there is anything harsh about it).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrBlahh

Posted January 22, 2012 - 01:08 PM

I would not say it's harsh, it starts out smooth but at about 90 % of the way to full lockup rpm it'll sometimes dump the clutch, causing the bike's rpm to drop when it does it

the more I ride it the less it does the 90 % dump

the pro is smoother without a doubt, it's consistant slip right up until full lockup

Edited by MegaDeTH, January 22, 2012 - 01:09 PM.

• STOIE

Posted January 22, 2012 - 02:55 PM

I would not say it's harsh, it starts out smooth but at about 90 % of the way to full lockup rpm it'll sometimes dump the clutch, causing the bike's rpm to drop when it does it

the more I ride it the less it does the 90 % dump

the pro is smoother without a doubt, it's consistant slip right up until full lockup

I did notice the 90% thing your talking about, but, generally it only seems to be when your fanging it at full throttle.

• MrBlahh

Posted January 22, 2012 - 02:57 PM

when are you not full throttle LOL

most of the riding I do, out of a corner is WOT, but the last few rides it's been doing it less and less

• STOIE

Posted January 22, 2012 - 03:15 PM

when are you not full throttle LOL

most of the riding I do, out of a corner is WOT, but the last few rides it's been doing it less and less

Haha, yeah when playing around, but, in the tight technical stuff I can't say I have noticed it.

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2012 - 10:00 AM

The comments regarding one or the other of the Rekluse clutches having an on/off feel are usually the result of incorrect "tuning" of the clutch. Both the Z-Start and the EXP's are tunable for engagement speed and engagement rate. The speed at which the clutch engages/releases is adjustable by varying the release spring tension. Both clutches come with alternative springs for this purpose, and the instructions cover what effect the different combinations have. Engagement rate is how gradually or abruptly the clutch applies when the engagement speed is reached, and is controlled by varying the weight of the balls in the Z-Start Pro, or the wedges in the EXP's.

Abrupt engagement in either clutch type is correctable. It also takes a little getting used to the fact that the throttle has such a direct effect on whether the bike moves at low speed.

• Gunner354

Posted January 23, 2012 - 11:34 AM

No offense Gray but read my post again. I talked to Rekluse and they told me that the "Pro" version was better for single track. How can you argue that? It's also cheaper.

• tech24

Posted January 23, 2012 - 11:41 AM

No offense Gray but read my post again. I talked to Rekluse and they told me that the "Pro" version was better for single track. How can you argue that? It's also cheaper.

and uses all the clutch discs

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:04 PM

and uses all the clutch discs

The CoreEXP that the OP bought uses "all" the clutch plates, too, by virtue of using its own oversize basket and boss to accommodate a full set with the EXP ring. The fact is that in '03 -'06 YZ450 clutches, the Z-Start Pro requires reducing the stack size by one friction, too, from 9 to 8.

No offense Gunner, but what part of my post had anything to do with whether one clutch or the other was more suitable for single track? The issue was complaints of abrupt engagement, and if you read the thread, you'll find one such charge made against both clutch types.

• STOIE

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Guys, just wanted to point out that I amended the zStart Pro write up, I was unaware it used the same number of frictions as the Core.

• STOIE

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:49 PM

I guess the other thing you could say I wanted from this post, is to provide reasoning behind why the CoreEXP 2.0 is the flagship and most expensive product Rekluse offer.

I also believe it's tune-ability is on par, if not higher than the zStart Pro.
Which is definitely not something I have heard anyone else state in the past.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.