2000 YZ426 TPS question

3 replies to this topic
  • SWIGIN

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:46 PM

I am in the middle of my YZ426 engine swap and since you guys really know these engines I figured I'd ask in here.

Do I need to hook up the TPS, or in other words, will it run worse if I do not plug in the TPS.

The reason I ask is that I fell into a heck of a deal on a 07 CRF450 FCR carburetor...so I bought it. The CRF TPS plug is male just like the Yamaha harness so they wont plug into each other. I could figure out which wire goes where and simply splice them together if I had to, but if there is no real benefit to having the TPS hooked up I wont worry about it.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SWIGIN, January 21, 2012 - 10:47 PM.

• tech857

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:04 AM

The tps is used for the 3d timing map. People unplug them and say it softens the hit or they notice no difference. Yamaha would not have spent the money to put it there if it did nothing. I would want it to work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2grimjim

Posted January 22, 2012 - 11:16 AM

It's not going to hurt anything by running without the TPS. Leaving it disconnected disconnected will affect throttle response at part throttle. At WOT the timing map will be similar and you wont notice much performance difference.

The OEM Yamaha TPS is very expensive (about $150) and p.i.t.a. to adjust. On your bike, I'd just go without it.

Edited by 2grimjim, January 22, 2012 - 11:16 AM.

• SWIGIN

Posted January 23, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Thanks alot guys!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.