any problems at high altitude for 2010-2012 yz's

4 replies to this topic
  • mxracer247

Posted January 21, 2012 - 01:03 AM

Hello all. I am a long time lurker. Dont do alot of posting. I currently have 07 yz450f and am sellling it and getting a 2012 yz450f. I was told by a mechanic that the yamaha was only meant to run up to 6000 feet. He said I need to get the power commander with autotune. I am going to taylor park colorado in august and plan to ride to 14000 feet at the highest. What is the highest altitude you guys have ridden your yz's and did you have any problems. I dont know whether to believer this mechanic or his he just trying to sell a power commander. I was under the assumption that they would go to any altitude.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

JB

• 2grimjim

Posted January 21, 2012 - 11:50 AM

Your mechanic is full of s****! I have YZ's and WR's that work fine @ 11,000 feet in Taylor Park. The new fuel injected YZ should not have any issues either. You will have to get they GYT tuner and lean thing up a bit, but I don't think you have to spent the cash on something that adds an O2 sensor.

The GYT tuner can reduce the injector open time by 21% max. There should be plenty of adjustment to make the FI work ok @ 6,000+ elevation.

The YZ in stock trim will be a handful at Taylor Park. If you plan on doing stuff like the Star Trail, you would want to do some suspension work and add a heavier flywheel.

Edited by 2grimjim, January 21, 2012 - 08:32 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dalonar

Posted January 21, 2012 - 08:20 PM

You will be 100% fine riding at altitude, i did notice a power loss when i took my 10 out there but nothing huge. I went from dodge city Kansas elevation to taylor park and we rode around for 3 days. Went to the top of aspen and ate at the gondola restaraunt, also would recommend going to the top of american flag mountain. It was by far the best ride of the weekend.

• mxracer247

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Well he is not my mechanic was just talking to him about some things but he knows his stuff about high altitude jetting. I cant wait to go back to taylor park we took four wheelers three years ago and rode 515 miles in 8 days i cant wait to get the dirtbike back aspen, flag mountain, mt antero. and im gonna have to find some single track.

I plan to buy the the tuner and do a slip on exhaust with spark arrestor. probably fmf, So it sounds like all i will do is to make some changes with the tuner and ill be good to go. Glad to know i wont have to drop another 600 on pcv and autotune.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Well he is not my mechanic was just talking to him about some things but he knows his stuff about high altitude jetting. I cant wait to go back to taylor park we took four wheelers three years ago and rode 515 miles in 8 days i cant wait to get the dirtbike back aspen, flag mountain, mt antero. and im gonna have to find some single track.

I plan to buy the the tuner and do a slip on exhaust with spark arrestor. probably fmf, So it sounds like all i will do is to make some changes with the tuner and ill be good to go. Glad to know i wont have to drop another 600 on pcv and autotune.

Thanks for all the help guys.

If you want some awesome single track, you need to ride in the Spring Creek area west of Taylor. There is some good stuff around Cement Creek too. The Star Trail is between Taylor and American Flag Peak.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.