almost switch to honda

8 replies to this topic
  • luvnoldcars

Posted January 20, 2012 - 04:11 PM

i was in the market to get a new bike and it was between 2012 crf450 and yz450f. i rode a crf at a demo at a track i rode at a couple months ago. i could never find any one to let me ride a new yamaha and after reading what the magazines say i was scared to spend $8000 on a bike i havent rode. i went to a local honda shop and was in the middle of working out a deal yesterday but kept thinking about the yamaha, so i backed out of the deal and went and bought a 2012 yz450 today. after riding it i would have made a HUGE mistake buying the honda . dont believe what all the magazines say. the only negitive about the yamaha was that the first time i tried to start it i kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked. after 10 minutes of that i took the plug out and found that it flooded it self. so i kicked it over with the throttle wide open 15 times with the plug out. after i put the plug back in i open the throttle a quarter turn and it fired 3rd kick. i guess these bikes dont like an hour and a half ride in the bed of the truck in 20 degree f weather.

Edited by luvnoldcars, January 20, 2012 - 05:56 PM.

• rickallen124

Posted January 20, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Great choice, you're going to love that bike. You will have to use the cold start knob anytime it's below 50 derees to get it started and starting will get easier once it's broken in. If you have the programmer you can also check that the idle is set correctly. I've accidently turned the idle speed knob while pulling out the cold start knob before.

• luvnoldcars

Posted January 20, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Great choice, you're going to love that bike. You will have to use the cold start knob anytime it's below 50 derees to get it started and starting will get easier once it's broken in. If you have the programmer you can also check that the idle is set correctly. I've accidently turned the idle speed knob while pulling out the cold start knob before.

i had the cold start knob pulled out at first. when it started it was off. even after it was warmed up it wouldent start with out the throttle open

Edited by luvnoldcars, January 20, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

• 1nd1anajones

Posted January 20, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Youre not alone, I had a hell of a time trying to kick mine over for the first time in the cold.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted January 21, 2012 - 12:58 PM

so i backed out of the deal and went and bought a 2012 yz450 today. after riding it i would have made a HUGE mistake buying the honda

What were the top 2-3 you liked the best about Yamaha over the Honda?

I would like to update my 450 and keep riding my buddies 09 CRF450 and like you would be torn with out riding a 2010 YZ450F first.

• luvnoldcars

Posted January 21, 2012 - 05:39 PM

What were the top 2-3 you liked the best about Yamaha over the Honda?

I would like to update my 450 and keep riding my buddies 09 CRF450 and like you would be torn with out riding a 2010 YZ450F first.

i felt instantly comfortable on the yamaha. nothing felt out of place. on the honda it felt like i was riding without a seat because the riding position is like your setting in the bike not on the bike. im coming off of a 2006 yamaha. thats probably why the honda felt so differant to me. the honda isnt a bad bike its just im more comfortable on the yamaha than the honda.

Edited by luvnoldcars, January 21, 2012 - 05:45 PM.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted January 21, 2012 - 07:40 PM

felt instantly comfortable on the yamaha.

Nice - sign me up!

• ah665

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Did the honda feel a lot lighter? No quirks with the handling of either bike? These two bikes would also be what I would decide between also.

• luvnoldcars

Posted January 22, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Did the honda feel a lot lighter? No quirks with the handling of either bike? These two bikes would also be what I would decide between also.

the honda didnt feel a hole lot lighter than the yamaha. as far as quirks in the handling i cant say. i only spent 30 minutes on the honda and it was strait off the show room floor, sag wasnt set and the clickers was all in stock position.my yamaha still isnt set up right either. thing for me was i was instantly comfortable on my yamaha.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.