Adding key switch to a WR400

4 replies to this topic
  • simbak01

Posted January 19, 2012 - 01:03 PM

I recently purchased this switch of ebay which apparently came of a 1999 wr400.
Posted Image
It has three pins so I thought I could just remove the kill switch and wire in place but the thing works in reverse. Ive been reading so many threads on here about this but still cant work it out. How do I wire it in and where is the best place to put it, looks like it also has some kind of lock on it too.

• jlow

Posted January 20, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Which wires have continuity with the key in the off position and with the key in the on position?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simbak01

Posted January 21, 2012 - 02:56 AM

When the key is off then there is nothing bridged but when its on all three are linked.

• simbak01

Posted January 29, 2012 - 12:39 PM

Ive stripped the switch down and I cant change the way it sets them continuity so I'm going to break into the wire that runs to the coil, when the switch is on i have continutiy so that should work shouldn't it?

• allupinsydeyou

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:16 AM

or go to your local bike dealer and pick up a key switch to a honda 50 or something. thats what i did. its only to keep the honest theif away. these bikes are light enough someone really wanted it, they will pick it up and toss it in the truck. get the honda key, and wire it into the computer.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.