Wife's KLX140 Project

27 replies to this topic
  • Concep29

Posted January 19, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Worked on this project almost a year, wife had another bike to ride so not rushed. Lightly used 2008 KLX140 we picked up for $1250, with some aftermarket goodies and labor we turned out a pretty cool bike for her.

[size=3]PARTS:[/size]

[size=3]KX85- Shock /forks, fender and front plate[/size]
[size=3]Racetech/Cannon springs[/size]
[size=3]Tag clamp/ T2 mini bars, Fly grips[/size]
[size=3]RM85- complete ft brake system/ fork guards[/size]
[size=3]BBR- D2 exhaust /26mm Keihin carb[/size]
[size=3]Outlaw adj clutch perch/lever[/size]
[size=3]Renthal gold chain/ 51T sprocket[/size]
[size=3]Prowheel rims / Dunlop MX51 MX31 tires[/size]
[size=3]Decal works backgrounds[/size]
[size=3]Maxima fluids[/size]

[size=3]LABOR:[/size]

[size=3]Suspension service
Shock clevis fab/lenghtened 1"[/size]
[size=3]Frame dent reservoir clearence[/size]
[size=3]Airbox mods for more flow[/size]
[size=3]Fabbed fuel screw[/size]
[size=3]Eliminate/bypass ign light[/size]
[size=3]Powdercoat stem clamp / fab bar riser.[/size]

[size=3]Still looking for a good shifter and someone that makes tall seat foam. [/size]

[size=3]Posted Image[/size]

• bikerman32158

Posted January 19, 2012 - 03:23 PM

nice bike. not 1300 dollars any more....lol

• bikerman32158

Posted January 19, 2012 - 03:24 PM

I just built a crf 150 for a guy. cr 85 forks and most the mods u done. bbr 195 kit, header, carb etc. he spent 2400 just on parts.... lol

• TECH51

Posted January 19, 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm lookig at a Moose xr100 and ttr125 shifter and call sdg on the seat foam.

• TECH51

Posted January 21, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Bike looks great! on my 11yr old sons 2009 140L i put 2004 yz85 forks with cannon racecraft f/r springs, 1984 atc 200x keihin pd 24mm carb with bbr 26mm carb adapter, carb top, throttle cable/sleeve, drilled 5ea. 1/2'' holes in the airbox cover, and opened up the area were the airbox screen is (all the way to the edge of the screen) bbr d2 pipe and installed a klx 450r head light. It's his trail/mx bike and this is great as he like it as much as his 2009 kx 85.

• Concep29

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks guys, I'd like to see some pictures of shifters like somebody mentioned. Pretty sure I checked with SDG.. and Guts, who make seat foam..so far
no luck.

• Trailrazer

Posted January 22, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Nice looking project. So why not put a set of "L" wheels on it instead of doing the seat? then again she may be at the in between inseam size I suppose.

After my wife gets more time on her 140L, I'll do exhaust and the carb. I just jetted it, installed a Uni filter and vented the airbox for now. It runs great. Like yourself, I need to find a better shifter.

I did bypass the iginition switch and relocated the stock choke down near the carb since I'm still running the stocker. These are great trail bikes with some set up. It's great how the KX parts bolt up with minimal modifications and truly look factory finished.

FYI.... I took an angle grinder to the swingarm and got those tabs out of the way from the chain. It looks like you still have a tab there. The tab may not pose that big of a concern, but I still had some bad visions in my head if the chain hung up on it.

Edited by Trailrazer, January 22, 2012 - 12:41 PM.

• mbwhitfi

Posted January 24, 2012 - 02:19 AM

Thought I'd sneak over the fence and see if the grass really is greener over here.

Looks like it is ~ WoW that is a great looking bike! Nice work, the Powder coating / rims and decals really set that bike off

I'm resurecting a $400 2003 DR-Z 125L into a (DRZ / KX100) playbike for my wife and daughter. I see with the 140 yall get a much nicer frame and the Sweet E-start happy button. Looks like I'll be searching out a KLX 140 for my next build.

• Concep29

Posted January 25, 2012 - 10:38 AM

mbwhiffi, the grass is a sweet lime green over here! Thanks for the comments.

Trailrazer, went with the small wheel in case we do mini-moto, 14" is max around here, and it fits her well.. just the seat angle could be better. I did plan on cutting the chain guard brackets, wanted to make sure it would clean up nice so wouldn't looked hacked.

She's getting some track time this weekend, should get some good feedback.

• Trailrazer

Posted January 25, 2012 - 07:45 PM

It's tricky getting that bracket ground down and not make it look hacked. I worked it over with the grinder and it certainly felt like I used too big of a hammer for the job. Maybe some different wheels will help out. It doesn't look too bad though.

Being in AZ.... I'd be willing to bet that a custom ATV shop could build you a seat to suit your preference. My buddy had a custom seat built by a local shop for his Yamaha FJ 1300. They used his stock cover and added to it. Looked really good and reasonable price.

Edited by Trailrazer, January 25, 2012 - 07:50 PM.

• Concep29

Posted January 31, 2012 - 12:42 PM

She seems to be fine with the seat, so we'll leave it for now. Said it handled great and power was real smooth. I didn't get to ride it this day..she kept away from me...lol

Posted Image

• Paollo

Posted February 12, 2012 - 01:55 PM

great job!

• dirtpoor

Posted February 12, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Your garage makes me ill! Ill cuz mine is a hole in the ground by comparison. Oh, and yeah.... nice bike!

• gruberyz

Posted February 12, 2012 - 06:14 PM

My wife raced a KLX140L for a season butit was cheaper to put her on a CRF150RB than try to make the 140L competitive.

• TECH51

Posted February 12, 2012 - 06:25 PM

My wife raced a KLX140L for a season butit was cheaper to put her on a CRF150RB than try to make the 140L competitive.

Well the crf150rb is a MX only bike and the klx 140 is a trail bike so I would hope so..

• gruberyz

Posted February 12, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Well the crf150rb is a MX only bike and the klx 140 is a trail bike so I would hope so..

Yeah at 47 years old she found the 140 lacked power out of the corners. Although it did have pretty good top gear speed on the grass sections. But the stock forks flexed like crazy

• Concep29

Posted February 12, 2012 - 08:20 PM

The KLX is a play/trail bike and the wife rides for fun/practice.

dirtpoor, thanks....?:smirk:

• dirtpoor

Posted February 13, 2012 - 06:06 AM

To clarify, YES! You've got an awesome garage. No stuff stacked up to the roof, clean floor, lots and lots of work space and cabinets for the tools... you put me to shame. And on top of all that, a nice bike! Yep, I'm getting ill again... from envy :smirk:

• J McDuff

Posted February 14, 2012 - 06:53 PM

• You do good work, nice bike. When you look into tall seats again check out Guts Racing.

• payloan

Posted February 24, 2012 - 02:33 PM

Did you make the longer shock clevis yourself or did you have it made?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.