Uncorking a 2012 WR450F?

42 replies to this topic
  • vick715

Posted May 30, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Ok Gents so here is what I've got so far. I bought the new 12 WR450F two weeks ago Picked it up on May 18. Went for a brief break in ride about 28km/17.5 miles next day. Left it straight out of box for first ride. I am 6'4 250lbs. Suspension was really well set up right from stock. Noticed only had 1/2 throttle available, good power but choked up. Bike felt great - coming from older WR250 2 stroke I was very impressed. Following week ordered and installed Acerbis hand gaurds with the aluminum inserts. Went out on 3 rides after with bike still stock on 26th & 27th. Put on about another 100km/60 miles of really good hard riding. Still was dissappointed in bike being choked up. Pulled airbox plug out yesterday, removed throttle stop, took out for a short rip, 110% improvement, I've order the comp ECU and Throttle stop, hoping to get it late this week. Still planning to change muffler as well So far i'm really impressed bike handles well, weight feels very well distributed, suspension gives very good feel, power is strong.

• vick715

Posted May 30, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Just a note for anyone trying to remove this throttle stop, its a black anti-tamper torx screw on bottom of throttle body,Right hand ride of bike, remove muffler and header, one wire will be in your way a bit, easily removable, I simply replaced it with a shorter screw I had on hand for temporary.

• ZGILBERT93

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Head to the store and pick up the new issue of DirtBike Mag. They have a pretty good article on the new WR. A whole section on how to uncork it and getting it running like a champ. They do say that it is an amazing machine though.

• tomerb

Posted June 01, 2012 - 02:51 PM

Just a note for anyone trying to remove this throttle stop, its a black anti-tamper torx screw on bottom of throttle body,Right hand ride of bike, remove muffler and header, one wire will be in your way a bit, easily removable, I simply replaced it with a shorter screw I had on hand for temporary.

What size torx bit did you use to remove throttle stop screw?

• publicenemy

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think it was t25 security torx. You don't need to remove the header/muffler. Can be replaced from the left side with patience.

• publicenemy

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Correction, T27 security torx, checked the original.

• vick715

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Has anyone put a muffler on their bike in Canada yet? I've looked into the FMF Powercore 4 muffler specifically for the 12' WR450 and it apparently won't be available until July/August, wondering if anyone had any ideas, wondering if perhaps a 11' WR muffler would do the trick or muffler for 2011 YZF450? Any ideas

• BFox

Posted June 06, 2012 - 03:39 AM

Has anyone put a muffler on their bike in Canada yet? I've looked into the FMF Powercore 4 muffler specifically for the 12' WR450 and it apparently won't be available until July/August, wondering if anyone had any ideas, wondering if perhaps a 11' WR muffler would do the trick or muffler for 2011 YZF450? Any ideas

Put full FMF system on mine.Ordered model for 09 yzf. Fit perfect.Dont order model for 10 or newer yzf unless your real handy with a tig welder

• vick715

Posted June 07, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Put full FMF system on mine.Ordered model for 09 yzf. Fit perfect.Dont order model for 10 or newer yzf unless your real handy with a tig welder

Nice, Now i was planning just to keep the stock head pipe, will that still work? What did you put on? Did you go with the Powercore muffler?

• BoiseBee

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:15 AM

If you're going to keep the stock head pipe, why don't you just order the GYTR FMF muffler? It's been available since before the bike hit the shores and a lot of us are using it with great results....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mc1hd

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Does the airbox snorkel removal still apply to the fuel injected bikes? So far I have the gyt pipe and mapped ecu and it runs excellent, actually did have the shop remove some timing on the bottom. Deffinatly felt a difference, much easier hook up with less wheel spin.

• BoiseBee

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Yes, airbox plug removal still helps. It will make your air filter get dirty a bit quicker, so just clean it after every ride and you're golden.

• BFox

Posted June 07, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Nice, Now i was planning just to keep the stock head pipe, will that still work? What did you put on? Did you go with the Powercore muffler?

I dont think so.If I remember right the stock head pipe outlet was a smaller diameter and the muffler had a graphite tipe of gasket with a clamp.The full system has a swedged connection on the muffler side that the outlet of the head pipe fits into. Id check for you but the bikes home in BC and im in The Mac working

• tomerb

Posted June 07, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Do the 2012 WR450s still have the TPS stutter like the previous models have?

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted June 07, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Do the 2012 WR450s still have the TPS stutter like the previous models have?

No, fuel injection has cured that.

• drick

Posted June 09, 2012 - 05:44 AM

ditto i took the full FMF system (Titanium Megabomb & Titanium 4.1SL) from my '09.

• protondecay123

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Going to go with the FMF Megabomb and Q4 can

Posted Image

Posted Image

• mc1hd

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have the gytr fmf can and even with the quiet inseert it is way too loud. I seriously doubt it would pass a sound check, how does the Q run compared to the gytr?

• protondecay123

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Here's a video that compare a stock CRF exhaust to the Q4

• luckyone24

Posted October 09, 2012 - 12:51 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo...5/0/detail.aspx
does anyone know the diameter difference between the gytr insert and stock?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.