Carpal Tunnel Surgery Worked!

4 replies to this topic
  • dhvann

Posted August 03, 2001 - 02:15 PM

Two months since my carpal tunnel surgery and I finally jumped on my 426 again. WOW! The doc said wait 3 months, but I never followed doctors orders anyway. This is Great! Look Ma, no numbness. For any of you with wrist pain and numbness, the surgery works wonders. I was beginning to think I would never ride again. :)

• MotoStyle

Posted August 03, 2001 - 02:50 PM

Hey, I would like to hear more about this. I get numbness in both of my hands, but my right primarily. It's extremely bothersome. What does the surgery cost, how involved is it, and are there risks involved? I would think with any type of surgery, you run the risk of certain ill effects...... I'm happy to hear that you are able to ride again. For me, I can still ride and race, but it comes and goes with no real consistency when I'm riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dhvann

Posted August 03, 2001 - 04:53 PM

I've actually had this problem since I was in my teens, i'm 39 now. :) I could only ride for about 30 minutes and would have to wait out for an hour or so from the pain and numbness. My wrist pain was severe and my hands would get so numb I had NO feeling left in my fingers! I only waited two months after the procedure and was able to ride moderately today for about 6 hours, with small breaks, but very little pain and no numbness. Not bad. My insurance picked up 80%, that left me paying about $1,000. They cut a one inch incision in the palm of your hand and cut away the band of tissue that raps around your wrist. As far as complications there is a risk of something called RSD, reflex symptomatic dysfunction. I had this condition in my right hand but it eventually subsides. The doc said my nerve was flattened like a pancake with moderate nerve damage. so I should expect some discomfort in the healing process. There was a risk associated with me not having the problem resolved in that I could end up with permanent nerve damage. I would get multiple doctor's opinions and make sure you have the nerve tests done that confirm you actually have a problem. These guys are so quick to want to cut you open. Good Luck.

• MotoStyle

Posted August 03, 2001 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the information. I have been getting numbness in my hands for the past year or so. I'll wake up in the morning and it's there, but it's like your arm fell asleep or something. When I ride, my right hand usually gets numb after riding for a long time. There's no pain involved and if I stop for 30 seconds and shake it out, it's ok. But, it will come back if I keep riding. I usually have to rest for a little while and then go back out again. My health insurance kicks in in about a week. I'm going to have several people look at it and get an idea of what it could be. Thank you and I'll let you know what I find out. Congrat's again on your surgery success. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 04, 2001 - 06:16 AM

I started getting the numbness and tingling in my hands. At night my hand(s) would fall a sleep. The first thing I did when I first noticed was to take it easy for a few weeks. This included no riding. Secondly, I started wearing medical wrist braces at night to keep my wrists straight. This takes the pressure off the nerves. Lastly, I took Naproxin Sodium (Aleve) for about a week to reduce the swelling of the area. It does come back ever so slightly when I overdue it, however, I continue to where my wrist braces the 2-4 nights after a ride and I'm good to go. I'm glad to hear that the surgery was successful. Hopefully I won't have to go there. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Boschk (edited 08-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Boschk (edited 08-04-2001).]

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.