Body parts compatibility YZ to WR question.

10 replies to this topic
  • q2quest

Posted January 19, 2012 - 02:35 AM

Can anyone positively advise if a tank/seat from an aluminum framed 2006 YZ450f be made to work on a steel framed 2004 WR 450? I'm trying to figure out how I can get the 50th anniversary look for the WR. Thanks.-Paul

• MaxPower

Posted January 19, 2012 - 10:35 AM

anything can be made to work

I see guys in the Philipeans putting CRF swingarms forks and plastice on XR200s

Go for it

• q2quest

Posted January 19, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Ok, I get your point, but maybe I should have said: Can the tank/seat be made to work reletively easily (without welding skills) or, has anyone accomplished this before. :smirk: I don't care what anyone says. These dirt bikes should be yellow. Years ago when they switched over to white/red in 1985 or something my heart sank. Maybe it's a generational thing.

Edited by q2quest, January 19, 2012 - 12:14 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted January 19, 2012 - 12:20 PM

It would be a bit of work. better off getting a white tank and dying it yellow.

• q2quest

Posted January 19, 2012 - 04:08 PM

It's the shrouds I'm worried about. I can get an aftermarket tank in translucent which would be fine, but I need to use the 2006 yellow shrouds and I need the 2006 tank and seat to accomplish this. Unless I could find yellow shrouds for the earlier bikes.

Edited by q2quest, January 19, 2012 - 04:10 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2grimjim

Posted January 21, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Contact Maier. I haven't checked lately but they once made yellow plastic for your WR. If you plan on using YZ radiator shrouds, you will have to use a YZ tank. Clarke makes tanks for your bike in several colors and sizes. It would be a big pain in the arse to try to use '06 stuff on your bike just to change the color. You can get a plain black gripper seat cover from Factory Effex or Ceet.

• q2quest

Posted January 21, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Contact Maier. I haven't checked lately but they once made yellow plastic for your WR. If you plan on using YZ radiator shrouds, you will have to use a YZ tank. Clarke makes tanks for your bike in several colors and sizes. It would be a big pain in the arse to try to use '06 stuff on your bike just to change the color. You can get a plain black gripper seat cover from Factory Effex or Ceet.

Thanks. If I get a YZ tank and shrouds will I have to also get a YZ seat or will the WR seat for these model years work with the YZ tank?

• 2grimjim

Posted January 21, 2012 - 11:54 AM

All WR seats from '03+ are different from YZ seats. The YZ seat has no clearance for the battery and the attachment points are different. '03-'05 YZ tank and shrouds will swap directly to your WR but you have to use both.

Your only option there would be a new seat cover.

Edited by 2grimjim, January 21, 2012 - 11:57 AM.

• q2quest

Posted January 21, 2012 - 12:31 PM

All WR seats from '03+ are different from YZ seats. The YZ seat has no clearance for the battery and the attachment points are different. '03-'05 YZ tank and shrouds will swap directly to your WR but you have to use both.

Your only option there would be a new seat cover.

I understand. What I am asking, though, is if I use the YZ tank and shrouds on my WR will the WR seat mate up to the YZ tank ok or will it not fit properly?

• 2grimjim

Posted January 21, 2012 - 12:41 PM

I understand. What I am asking, though, is if I use the YZ tank and shrouds on my WR will the WR seat mate up to the YZ tank ok or will it not fit properly?

Yes, your WR seat will fit with the stock '03-'05 YZ tank or any tank made for the '03-'05 YZ.

• q2quest

Posted January 21, 2012 - 06:53 PM

Got it. Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.