Glowing Exhaust

10 replies to this topic
  • wildair99

Posted August 03, 2001 - 06:02 AM

I just bought a new 2001 YZ 426, i just gave it its first oil change last nite, when i was thru, i cranked it and let it idle for about 2 to 3 minutes, i noticed that the exhaust pipe was glowing soon as it comes out of the cylinder, is this normal? Once i started riding it, it didnt glow as much, but still did glow some, is this normal???? I checked to make sure i have oil pressure and everything seems to be working fine, someone fill me in!!!!!!

• Roostie_1

Posted August 03, 2001 - 06:18 AM

Yes the glowing is a normal phenomenom. My'01 is getting kind of old now and it still does it a bit. You should see a WR with the baffle still in, it's practically a guiding light

• bjscheel

Posted August 03, 2001 - 06:19 AM

That is just one of the things you will have to get used to. These are four strokes and yes it is normal for them to have glowing red exhaust.

• flyinguitars

Posted August 03, 2001 - 06:37 AM

Welcome to the 426, the glowing head pipe is normal.

• eBayThumper

Posted August 03, 2001 - 08:42 AM

Ah yes,,,the wicked glow. I love it! Makes me warm just thinking about it.

Ride em if ya got em!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoStyle

Posted August 03, 2001 - 09:55 PM

Anyone have any marshmallows? :)

• Chris_Slade

Posted August 03, 2001 - 10:05 AM

Man, I pity you guys should you go down and your leg get pinned under the pipe....Perhaps a form of 426 Branding?

'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• MotoStyle

Posted August 03, 2001 - 10:36 AM

Well, that's what the guard is for. Your KTM has two pipes to brand you. Tatoo's anyone? KTM is having a double feature pipe tatooing at their next convention. :)

• az426

Posted August 03, 2001 - 04:28 PM

man, i must be lucky-my 01' doesnt glow night or day--better be careful!

• MikeOK

Posted August 03, 2001 - 04:39 PM

Let it idle for a couple minutes at night and it will glow. If it doesn't you are probably not jetted right...

• Boit

Posted August 03, 2001 - 05:16 PM

The stock headpipe is constructed from thin metal. That's mainly why it glows so eaily.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.