Flywheel weight, what size?

14 replies to this topic
  • 43fan

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I recently bought a 2009 yz 250. I really like it. It is in great shape. I have been riding a 125 and I am very comfortable riding it. I am having a hard time with the 250. I just cant seem to be able to ride it with any confidence. I am considering a flywheel weight and was wondering what size would be best and how it would help. I am 45 years old and I just got back into riding 2 years ago. I ride mostly mx. I am really having a good time riding again and my goals are to ride the best that I can, have fun and not get hurt. Any suggestions to help me tame this beast would be appreciated.

Thanks

• mikeylikesit

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Steahly says the slicker the conditions the heavier the weight should be.
I have a 13oz and love it but I ride WAY more woods than track. I've heard a 9oz is better for racing.

• arnego2

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I don't race but I have the same bike (yz250 year 2009) I needed about 9 months to learn the ride Ok
now it is all OK.

• YZjunkie

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

If you just mainly ride MX i would go for a 9oz but to be honest with the power outputs from these bikes it wouldnt really matter if you went 11oz or even a 13oz, all comes down to personal choice on how you want to ride the bike (if you went a 13oz the bike will have better traction compared to a 9oz but MAY not have the same power etc.) I ride ALOT in the bush but still ocassionaly ride at the track and i use an 11oz and that seems to go well in my 2008 YZ250.

Edited by YZjunkie, 17 January 2012 - 03:10 AM.

• rodgini

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:14 AM

i prefer a 9oz. i have tried 11&13. the 9oz still has good snap but is a bit smoother off the bottom. i have my 08 setup as a do it all track & woods machine.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

I just put a GTYR off-road on my YZ250 and really like it on the track.

• Mark6299

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

I was against FWWs at first and took off the one on my RM250. I also have a 2007 YZ250 and recently put on a FWW. I really like it. It does hook up way better. I think it's like 8 or 9 oz but it's a GYTR complete flywheel. I think the advantage is that most of the usable added weight (8 oz.) is on the outermost part of the flywheel. What I mean is that the further the weight is from the center of the flywheel the more effect it has. I don't know how much the Steahly FWW or other brands costs, but I think the GYTR cost about $100 or so. You could order it from your local dealer to save on shipping. Mine came in, in one day. GYT-5NX97-50-50 And with the GYTR, you don't need any cover spacer either.

• gruberyz

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

No flywheel weight! Learn to use the beautiful explosive power of the YZ250 through clutch modulation. If you ride in the woods no flywheel weight put a Rekluse in it then you can still use that beautiful powerband to jump ugly on 250f's in the grass tarck and sand whoop sections at races

• Mark6299

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yes thats what I said about the FWW too. Learn to use the clutch and so on. Its not that the YZ250 didn't have enough power because it has plenty. So fanning the clutch is not necessary. The FWW simply puts more of the power to the ground with less wheel spin. Thats it, take it or leave it.

• YZjunkie

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Yes thats what I said about the FWW too. Learn to use the clutch and so on. Its not that the YZ250 didn't have enough power because it has plenty. So fanning the clutch is not necessary. The FWW simply puts more of the power to the ground with less wheel spin. Thats it, take it or leave it.

Agreed.

• RCannon

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

The weights are cool. A really nice addition in most every condition. If I were tryign to tame the power, go as heavy as you can.

• midnight oil

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

i have an 07 and also put the gytr fww on and i'm very happy with it on the track or trail. the quality is great and you still have your stock one if you don't like it.

• Mark6299

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

i have an 07 and also put the gytr fww on and i'm very happy with it on the track or trail. the quality is great and you still have your stock one if you don't like it.

That's correct you would have the stock flywheel as a spare. The other FWW will come off so you do still have the stock one too. The GYTR flywheel is build as one unit and balanced as one unit. The other FWW are bolted onto the end of the crankshaft outside the existing flywheel. However, I was just thinking about something. Of the few flywheel weight I looked at or owned, they all basically replaced the nut that hold the stock flywheel onto the crankshaft. In other words, it is a flywheel weight and a nut. The thread will always have some amount of clearance even and even though it would somewhat act to center the nut, but it could still be off a center a little. So if this is the case then the new FWW could, and I did say could, put the weight mass off center just a little bit. I think that could put some vibration in a high speed spinning crankshaft and add some discomfort and possible premature bearing failure too. I had this happen to my RM250. The crank main bearing failure may or may not have been caused by this possible vibration but I just though I would share that. Also, if the stock flywheel is off balance a little and the FWW is off a little, what do you get?

Now I am in no way stating that this is correct about the FWWs but that's just how I looked at it and is the single reason I went with the one piece GYTR flywheel. If I am incorrect then I will admit it and agree and state such if anyone could and should follow up on my comments.

• YamaLink

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

The GYTR flywheel is a good one as is the lighter of the Steahlys.

• ECEAracer

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

GYTR lists their fww as having 5.76 inertia mass. Does anyone know that the inertia mass is for the Steahly 9 and 11oz weights are? I looked through their website and couldn't find anything. I kinda like that the GYTR weight is one complete unit rather than the Steahly bolt on style but I don't want to go with the GYTR if it is too light.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.