99 YZ400F Exhaust Suggestions

3 replies to this topic
  • twagner44

Posted January 16, 2012 - 02:21 PM

I just bought a 99 YZ400F last week and got to play with it in the desert for the past couple days. I absolutely love it! Thanks to those of you who pointed me in the right direction for starting techniques - didn't have a problem starting it all weekend. My next question has to do with the exhaust. The bike came with an FMF Ti4 pipe. All busted up and way too loud. As a quick fix I bought a quiet insert for it which helped a bit but it's still way too loud. Obnoxious to have that in your ear for hours on end.

What's a popular brand/model exhaust for these bikes? Is there any particular brand that matches up better than the others? It will need to be USFS approved for some of the riding I do...

• RasmusDK

Posted January 16, 2012 - 04:39 PM

I got mine down to 90 db with stock muffler, I replaced the wool and put in two 1mm sheet metal plate shaped and placed like this inside the perforated pipe, I just spot welded them in..

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twagner44

Posted January 19, 2012 - 12:07 PM

There aren't too many options for pipes for that bike so I ended up ordering an FMF Q4 for it. Just got it in the mail last night so I'm anxious to put it on and try it out this weekend.

• RasmusDK

Posted January 19, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Got an fmf for mine too, i only put it on once its way to loud for me, and i dont need the power i might give.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.