Elbow Pads

9 replies to this topic
  • Roostie_1

Posted August 02, 2001 - 11:39 AM

I was reading through the knee brace "debate" when I stumbled upon the issue of elbow pads. It seems to have sparked me up a little. Here's my issue: I always have mangled elbows, just as soon as my skin starts to heal I seem to do it all over again. I have tried various types of elbow pads, but they all give me really bad forearm pump. I paid $30 for a set of MSR ones, but no matter how loose I make them, I still get the pump. I haven't done any creative thinking on this in a while as the last time I tried them I was just plain frustrated and I haven't thought much about it since (except when I wipe out).

Does anybody have any good/unique ideas? I used to make fun of my old riding buddy who used volleyball elbow pads, but now I'm thinking that it's not a bad idea.

Thanks and have fun at work while I'm on holidays!

• SUnruh

Posted August 02, 2001 - 12:04 PM

i saw a set that you probably out to check out. my buddy had gone to Moab and didn't wanna break an arm on those rocks so they went into a BMX/Skateboard shop and got some elbow guards for that kind of sport. his are SUPER tough (you can bash your arm agaist an oak tree and not feel it) and he says he doesn't get arm pump from them. so maybe look into that avenue?

• flyinguitars

Posted August 02, 2001 - 12:16 PM

I have a pair of fox elbo pads that are one size fits all. They have a tough strip (maybe plastic)surrounded by padding and covered by fabric. They have an elastic membrane on the non-padded side that automatically adjusts to your arm. I swear that they saved me from a shattered radius a few weeks ago. I fell really hard and suffered severe bruising on my right triceps just past the pad. My elbo was a little sore, but no bruises. They have also saved me from many tree branch related injuries while flying thru the woods. I think I paid less than $20.00 for them, well worth every penny! Cant say that I noticed any arm pump, Im one of the lucky ones that dont suffer from it.....YET!
Mike

[This message has been edited by flyinguitars (edited 08-02-2001).]

• eBayThumper

Posted August 02, 2001 - 12:46 PM

evs makes a cool unit that is chest protector, kidney belt, and elbow pads all in one zip up jacket. It's pretty light weight and goes under your jersey. I have the short sleeve model w/o elbow pads but my buddy got the long sleeve one. You might want to check them out.

Regards,
J

• sirhk

Posted August 02, 2001 - 02:33 PM

Even though I said I don't wear them in the knee Brace thread I do own a pair. I don't remember the brand off hand but I wear them when I go dirt jumping with my BMX bike. They are a skater elbow pad and work GREAT. If I did wear them when riding my dirt bike I wouldn't hesitate to use these. Go to a skate shop or bmx shop and check out their elbow pads like the other guy said.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coloradothumpin

Posted August 02, 2001 - 03:21 PM

Here's what I did -
Take your favorite elbow guards, grab your drill, and put two holes in the portion that would be behind your tricep. Now do the same thing with your arm guards on your chest protector (roost guard). Take some zip ties and run them through one elbow guard hole, then through one hole you drilled in the chest protector arm piece. Repeat for all the holes. Adjust the ties to the length where your elbow guards are in the most comfortable position and cut the ends off. Now LOOSEN the straps on your elbow guards until they just hold in place. Guess what..they won't fall down, and they are loose enough to not give you arm pump. Elbow guards mostly work to prevent injury from the initial impact and yours will still do that, but may slide a little if you ground your arm into the dirt for very long. They usually slide up your arm anyway with a good slide so your not losing anything. Does it look goofy? Maybe a little but your buddies will be doing the same thing when you tell them it works!
Later
Adam

• Roostie_1

Posted August 03, 2001 - 06:23 AM

Adams idea sounds good, but I think that I'll try the BMX or skater pads first, as I would prefer to have something that goes under my jersey.

BTW - thanks guys

• yzf_virgin

Posted August 06, 2001 - 01:15 PM

The Fox pads are great. You can wear them under a jersey, they're cheap, and they're so comfortable you forget you have them on... until they save your funny bone. If only I would learn to keep them on until my bike is loaded back up. Twice I've busted my 'bows playing around after my ride.

• SUnruh

Posted August 06, 2001 - 02:35 PM

i have the Thor elbow guards, i did the zip tie to the CP about 2 years ago. last summer i did a little endo down a rock cliff. a rock punched through the foam (missed the hard plastic by 1/4" or maybe deflected it) and into my elbow. 3 stiches later it was sewn up. cracked the bone though. if you want REAL protection, get skater/bmx pads. the stuff they sell for mx is for skin not bones.

• cbauer

Posted August 11, 2001 - 06:44 PM

Try going for an ice hockey or roller hockey elbow pad. They are usually comfortable and they shouldn't cause your forearms to pump up. They are usually $30 for a decent pair and they should last a long time. They can take quite an impact and come out smellin' like a rose. Give it a shot and let me know how you make out.

Originally posted by Roostie_1:
I was reading through the knee brace "debate" when I stumbled upon the issue of elbow pads. It seems to have sparked me up a little. Here's my issue: I always have mangled elbows, just as soon as my skin starts to heal I seem to do it all over again. I have tried various types of elbow pads, but they all give me really bad forearm pump. I paid $30 for a set of MSR ones, but no matter how loose I make them, I still get the pump. I haven't done any creative thinking on this in a while as the last time I tried them I was just plain frustrated and I haven't thought much about it since (except when I wipe out).

Does anybody have any good/unique ideas? I used to make fun of my old riding buddy who used volleyball elbow pads, but now I'm thinking that it's not a bad idea.

Thanks and have fun at work while I'm on holidays!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.