Supercross

Dungey KTM

279 replies to this topic
  • 2-fiddy

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Posted Image

..awww c'mon I gotta toss 'em a bone once in-awhile. Wait...that didn't sound right. :smirk:

• BBA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Why is it I think "George Mcfly" from Back to the Future everytime I see a pick of Dungey??

• BBA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

Whats worse, us shit talking in a pro racing section, or a bunch of dudes giving really bad advice about things they know nothing about in the fix it forums? I mean, you ever been in the TTR section of this place? :lol:

Ok,..ok... so it's his choice on which is worse. Does he want a f'd up mind or a f'd up motorcycle??....... :bonk: ...., maybe that's why I hangout in here instead of the Tech forums, my mind is already :smirk: .... but I do value the health of my bikes! :lol:

• MXOldtimer

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Reeds gone, Stewarts still trying to finish a race on two wheels and Dungey is only 13 points behind Villopoto.....

Not to shabby for Dungey & KTM.

Dungey is still on target for the #1 plate.

• Squid_Racer

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

Reeds gone, Stewarts still trying to finish a race on two wheels and Dungey is only 13 points behind Villopoto.....

Not to shabby for Dungey & KTM.

Dungey is still on target for the #1 plate.

I agree, he doesn't have the momentum but he is far from out of it. If I were KTM I would not be dissatisfied with where they are considering everything.

• BDubb106

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

I agree... he's right there and in perfect position but he better step it up. I know KTM will get that suspension dialed and RD will be showing his real speed ASAP. He cant afford to take many more 3rd place finishes with RV on like he is.

• 03sik50

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

being only 13 back he's still more than in this championship hunt. I dont think he can run the pace of villopoto though. I think he can pick up som speed though once they get him more comfortable on that bike. He just looks a little unsettled when he is on it but that could just be me.

• meyermetal

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

He really does not look comfortable. His best lap at Dallas was 1.5sec off of both Reed's and Poto's best lap

I know he has better speed than that

• 2-Strokes 4-ever

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Dungey's more of an outdoor guy IMO.

~Good indoors
~Great outdoors

• BDubb106

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

I agree he is better outdoors, but I still dont think we've seen anywhere close to RD's best indoors. Once the RDx2 duo get that bike dialed he will show his real speed. His struggles are extremely obvious in certain areas of the track (whoops) and I think we would see similar results outdoors. Its only a matter of time until they get the new bike figured out.

RD is a very smart rider... he is not 100% confident in the bike so he doesnt push too hard. Its pretty cut n dry.

Edited by BDubb106, 22 February 2012 - 10:41 AM.

• trailntrack319

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

After reading all 14 pages i see it all finally comes back around to getting the bike figured out. Good luck with that one." All the kings horses and all the queens men" well you know the rest. Maybe if r.v. goes the way of reed ktm will have a chance. Still i have to say they have come alot further than i thought they would.

• 2-Strokes 4-ever

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

After reading all 14 pages i see it all finally comes back around to getting the bike figured out. Good luck with that one." All the kings horses and all the queens men" well you know the rest. Maybe if r.v. goes the way of reed ktm will have a chance. Still i have to say they have come alot further than i thought they would.

First off, I don't own, and have never owned a KTM.

It took DeCoster about 10 years to get Suzuki to develop a truly good championship level motorcycle. The corporate big-wigs at Suzuki can be very arrogant and stubborn-minded when it comes to improvement needed with their product. I know this because I've been on Suzy's for about 13 years now... I've had mechanical issues with brand new bikes, approached them about it with no help whatsoever. The attitude was "We make an excellent product. Period."

I think deCoster will have quick success with development at KTM. KTM's not scared of changing things up IMO. KTM is excellent at marketing, unlike Suzuki.

• BBA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

First off, I don't own, and have never owned a KTM.

It took DeCoster about 10 years to get Suzuki to develop a truly good championship level motorcycle. The corporate big-wigs at Suzuki can be very arrogant and stubborn-minded when it comes to improvement needed with their product. I know this because I've been on Suzy's for about 13 years now... I've had mechanical issues with brand new bikes, approached them about it with no help whatsoever. The attitude was "We make an excellent product. Period."

I think deCoster will have quick success with development at KTM. KTM's not scared of changing things up IMO. KTM is excellent at marketing, unlike Suzuki.

Yeah I still find all of the anti-Dungey on a KTM comments funny since the bike is really fresh but yet, he's second in points and even with bad starts, stands on the podium in most races. KTM is finally doing the same thing here in the States with SX/MX as they did with the XC/Enduro racing. They put forth a lot of work and effort into the XC race program and look where they're at now in almost every offroad race serious. It's going to be the same thing in moto. Just look at how many Lites guys are running KTM's now and I'll bet ya Dungey will not be the only strong KTM 450 guy next year in SX either.

• SlowSpokes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

KTM is finally doing the same thing here in the States with SX/MX as they did with the XC/Enduro racing. They put forth a lot of work and effort into the XC race program and look where they're at now in almost every offroad race serious. It's going to be the same thing in moto.

I will give KTM all the credit in the world for stepping up their race program, but IMO their success has more to do with the riders they hire, than the bikes themselves. All of the bikes nowadays are capable of winning races, with the right rider.

• BBA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

I will give KTM all the credit in the world for stepping up their race program, but IMO their success has more to do with the riders they hire, than the bikes themselves. All of the bikes nowadays are capable of winning races, with the right rider.

EXACTLY!! :bonk: KTM couldn't get a top rider until they designed a bike around him, which they did with Dungey. They seem to want it bad enough to put alot of time & money into their race programs to get to the top.

• 2-Strokes 4-ever

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

EXACTLY!! :bonk: KTM couldn't get a top rider until they designed a bike around him, which they did with Dungey. They seem to want it bad enough to put alot of time & money into their race programs to get to the top.

All atributes of an up and coming, profitable, successful, company.

Years ago Honda was accused of "buying championships", maybe that's partially true, but those talented riders they hired surely had wise input into development... and in turn, honda offered a better motorcycle to the masses, people bought them, honda grew. Everyone benefits.

• 2-Strokes 4-ever

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm thinking we agree a lot about KTM being free to grow, and seeing the commitment they're putting into doing it as good for everyone..

Do we also agree that your avatar is really creepy? :lol:

Edited by 2-Strokes 4-ever, 22 February 2012 - 06:09 PM.

• BBA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Do we also agree that your avatar is really creepy? :lol:

My wife snapped this picture after I finished reading all of the James Stewart threads on here. :bonk:

• 2-Strokes 4-ever

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

My wife snapped this picture after I finished reading all of the James Stewart threads on here. :bonk:

Understood. :lol:

• MotoEye

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

Here's Dungey's take on things.

http://www.racerxonl...e-w-ryan-dungey

Ryan Dungey still wants to win and still wants to work. But, just for a moment, he wants to be happy with what he’s already done, instead of putting everything on how to win the next race.
After all, he and his new Red Bull KTM team are sitting second in the Monster Energy Supercross Championship, they’ve already won a race, and they’ve collected five podiums. It’s not a bad way to start this new venture, even if Ryan Villopoto has been winning all the races as of late.
“What we have is so cool because it’s so one of a kind, and every achievement we make is history,” said Dungey on Saturday night in Dallas. “So yeah, I want to win, but at the same time I have to look at things and how great these circumstances really are and how great we are really doing. There’s always that need, the desire, to keep getting better, to say, 'Oh if I just accomplish this I’ll feel complete.' But the truth is, you’re not going to accomplish everything and feel complete. You know, you have a five million dollar house, and then you’ll think of how great it would be to have a ten-million dollar house!”
Dungey took a big risk switching to KTM in what should be the prime of his career. So far, it has gone well, but even his short moment of reflection won’t let him get complacent.
“The bike suited me pretty quickly right off the bat, and I was actually really surprised. I really expected something completely different,” he says. “Although it was different just sitting on it, it wasn’t like 'Oh gosh this is way too far gone.' Every bike feels a little different. And the power was good, the motor was good, the suspension was good. Starting from that was good, but you know the speeds we are going nowadays, you have to keep improving. But that’s with anything in life. If you don’t keep improving, you’re going to be far behind.”

Posted Image
Dungey has accomplished a lot in his short time with KTM, but he's looking for more.
Photo: Simon Cudby

When Dungey jetted off with a holeshot and a win in Phoenix, and left holding a share of the points lead, it looked like all was well with the new team. But while the next few races have been good, a pair of fourths followed by a third and a second, they have not been as great. After Dallas, I asked Dungey about adapting to different tracks and obstacles each week. Other teams have mountains of old test and race data to sort through in search of the right changes. With a new program, Dungey’s team doesn’t have that luxury. Is that a problem?
“Yes and no,” he says. “It would be great to go back on this stuff, but at the same time, I think everyone is doing a great job considering this is a brand-new 450. Yes, maybe that’s a disadvantage to having a new bike, but at the same time, I’ve got guys, like Roger [DeCoster], who has taken teams to the number-one spot. I feel like if we have a problem, and we need to pin point it, we can do that. We have great guys, and we’re all thinking. Even if we win, we’ve got to keep an open mind and know we have to keep pushing. And I think that’s what has helped get this bike so far so fast—the people around it. That’s the thing when I signed with this team, I knew if anybody was going to be able to do it, it was these people. Before I signed my name on the dotted line, you know, you have to believe you’re going to be on the best bike out there.”
Hard to say Dungey’s bike is the best, but it clearly is competitive, and in this short amount of time, that’s an accomplishment. But it’s one Dungey is not going to rest on for long.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

New Jersey Race Links by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

After Seattle... by FinchFan194

• Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

That Pretty Much Settles It by Squid_Racer

• Hot  144 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

So who will win on this Saturday? by Kev_XR

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

2015 SX Schedule by motojase316

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.