How To Start Your Fi Yz Easier

15 replies to this topic
  • 1nd1anajones

Posted January 14, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Last week I started a thread asking how to start a 2011 yz450f easier, I got a lot of answers but I also came across a yamaha video on youtube that I thought would be helpful.

Here it is:

enjoy

• steve_97060

Posted January 14, 2012 - 11:55 AM

good find...

• glenn77

Posted January 14, 2012 - 10:13 PM

That'll help. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Unbelievable. This video contains the same common error that I hear all the time: "just past TDC on the power stroke"

Look at what the rider is doing. He stops at the point resistance is felt, resets and kicks. Now look at the animated engine components from 2:12 to 2:24. The piston does NOT go past TDC.

They start out telling you that bottom dead center is too far away from the ignition point (very near TDC when starting) and that you won't get going if you kick from there. Then they use language that encourages people to go just past where ignition actually occurs and kick it from there, two full turns of the crank away from the next ignition event.

Who checks this stuff?

• RasmusDK

Posted January 15, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Well grey it sure looks like it works on that video. So what do you do? I would listen till i can hear the autodecomp lets the air out, a bit further on the lever, lever back and then solid kick..

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:53 PM

You do what he does in the video, and put the piston in the position the video showed you, not what was said in the voice over. The piston position shown is BEFORE TDC, not after.

• tech24

Posted January 17, 2012 - 06:45 AM

Unfortunatley there is a lot of incorrect information there. He also leaves out the part where you need to kick a few times to charge capacitor and prime fuel system for the first start of the day or after bike sits a while. Also I and others have found that slightly cracking the throttle to allow more air makes it much easier to start a warm engine.

• jcm3

Posted January 27, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Who checks this stuff?

I would agree. I'm very mechanically inclined, but even if you weren't, it's pretty clear by the video that the pistion is not going past tdc even when he says it is. ???

It looks pretty obvious from watching the rider kick the bike over that he's doing the same thing, but the video shows it very clearly. :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • delmas

Posted January 27, 2012 - 05:38 PM

same thing I saw when I bought my 2010.the dealer played it for me before I left

• powers450f

Posted January 28, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Are there really that many people having problems starting the FI Bikes?? They are like kicking over a two stroke in comparison to the carbed bikes.

• Stu2

Posted January 28, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Mine starts easily, although I am 6'2 so I have a bit of an advantage,

I like how they also use a taller rider in the vid lol

• dalonar

Posted January 29, 2012 - 08:18 AM

I also don't know why people are having trouble, mine starts amazing compared to my 08. It started first kick after sitting for 3 weeks. No prime/capaciter charge, nothing....just a swift kick and she fires

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:45 AM

When I first my 2010 450F My buddy that owns the dealership gave me that vid too watch. I done just at it stated but never had it to start on the first kick. I tried numerous of times ......but when I was trying it was either in the 50's outside or the bike hadn't been started in about a week.

However mine has all ways started on the 3rd kick regardless. I just kicked the first time (not knowing where the piston was at) the second kick was just too get the feel and the 3rd kick was a good full kick and then it started.

Now when at a race and the motor is really warmed up I will do the tequinqe above and it will start on the first kick. My 2011 450F has been the same way.

• MX763

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:15 AM

My 2011 450 is a bitch. That whore is the most temperamental thing I have ever seen. The idle is up around 2100, its been remapped. It randomly stalls and is a pain in the ass to start 96.8% of the time.

• powers450f

Posted January 29, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Mine starts 1st or second kick every time.. Even after sitting for 3 months started second kick.

• rdefonce

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:22 AM

I also don't know why people are having trouble, mine starts amazing compared to my 08. It started first kick after sitting for 3 weeks. No prime/capaciter charge, nothing....just a swift kick and she fires

I didn't notice much diff between my '08 and '10, however my '10 starts MUCH easier than my '99.;-)

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.