Does the 426 have a weak rear hub???

7 replies to this topic
  • timmorg

Posted August 02, 2001 - 05:20 AM

Hey all. I have had a '00 426 for about 9 months now and have had a plethora of problems. The latest is that I ripped my sprocket right off my hub and took part of the hub with it. The chain then proceeded to rocket through all the stuff on the rear end eating anything in its path. I spent about $1000 getting all that back together just to find out that when the chain finally bound up it broke one of my gears in my transmission. I have had some local people tell me that they have weak rear hubs and the dealership where I got it said they have had a few complaints. However when I called Yamaha directly they of course had never heard of any problems. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.
:) Joe

• mikeolichney

Posted August 02, 2001 - 06:00 AM

Do a search under this subject. I think alot of people concluded that the exploding hubs were caused by people overtightening their chain. I have had no trouble with my hub. I made a plastic go no-go gauge shaped like a rectangle with a corner cut out, like a fat "L" When placed over the last bolt on the rubplate, the chain must fit over 1.6 inch cutout portion, but not over the 2.0 inch outer rectangle.

I tried it on my friends bike, who is a long-time MXer. His chain was way too tight, much less than 1.6 inches.

I suspect that the people that think the hub problem is due to a too tight chain are right.

• MGR8

Posted August 02, 2001 - 06:35 AM

I know someone that has had two "explode" on him. I just watch my chain ring bolts and run the chain at "four fingers" loose rather than the "three finger" loose that I ran on my 99 YZ250.

• DaveJ

Posted August 02, 2001 - 09:02 PM

I had the same encounter as you.

Hubs either come apart from poor castings, or chains that are too tight. Poor castings are very rare.

Poor castings fail almost immediately, and can be verified by shiny surfaces within the breaks, (the bad casting pocket rubs internally, polishing itself, before the break occurs). Take a close look.

The chain spec of 1.6 is the most common problem. If you take a close look at your failure, you'll find that the sprocket was not ripped, but pulled outwards to the left before the actual hub failed.

A chain setting at 1.6 with the chain snug, is too tight. A semi snug chain at 1.7 is about the tightest you can go. Make sure you measure the chain at it's tightest point since they don't stretch evenly.

And loctite the sprocket nuts or get the nylon self locking ones.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blbainb

Posted August 02, 2001 - 07:22 PM

Only once did I run the chain slack at 1.6" -at the end of the ride I found all the sprocket bolts loose! Now I don't go below 2" of slack and allow up to 2 1/4" before adjusting - not a real problem with a good chain. The manual is wrong on this.

• teamtoxic

Posted August 03, 2001 - 03:38 AM

<font color="navy">The same exact thing happened to me. I had just purchased new chain/sprockets and after the first ride they were shot! My sprocket ripped loose taking the hub and chain guide with it. It only costed me about $300 to fix it but I did all the labor, and my trans was fine. My chain was adjusted correctly, everything was fine.
Originally, I thought a rock may have jammed between the chain and rear sprocket but I've heard of a few people (including you) talk about the '00 426 having weak hubs. I'm beginning to think there must be a problem.

[This message has been edited by teamtoxic (edited 08-03-2001).]

• vs

Posted August 03, 2001 - 05:07 AM

i broke 2 chains running 3 fingers so now i am going to 3and a half but the hub thing i think is bad casting on eary oo models not 1 o1 has a broken hub

• Roostie_1

Posted August 03, 2001 - 06:28 AM

I haven't had any problems whatsoever on my 'o1, but my buddy grenaded the hub on his '00 last year. Very $$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Roostie_1 (edited 08-03-2001).]

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.