11 yzf450 gearing

10 replies to this topic
  • reidy

Posted January 08, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hi again guys!
Just wondering wot gearing most is running for motocross?
I have also just got my tuner so will be changing the mapping too.

• Thumper38

Posted January 08, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Go up at least one tooth in the rear, I am trying two teeth up now. I want to use third more and have a very crisp second

• reidy

Posted January 08, 2012 - 12:30 PM

i thought that would be the way i would have to go, just clarifyed it, thank you very much.

• josh8811

Posted January 08, 2012 - 07:30 PM

I went +2 in the rear and love it.. Makes second and third a lot easier to use..

• KUSTOMZMAN1

Posted February 14, 2012 - 10:20 AM

dumb question, but are we able to run the stock chain with a 50 tooth (+2) in the rear? I am running GYTR axle blocks and it looks like i should have enought room, just wasnt sure.

I ran a 50 tooth on my 07 and it was perfect for our tracks (2nd and 3rd) was way better, hoping its the same with my new 2012

Currently running the Marmont map and this thing is pretty quick off the bottom, it the 50 tooth too much? able to still keep the front end down?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • luvnoldcars

Posted February 14, 2012 - 02:53 PM

dumb question, but are we able to run the stock chain with a 50 tooth (+2) in the rear? I am running GYTR axle blocks and it looks like i should have enought room, just wasnt sure.

I ran a 50 tooth on my 07 and it was perfect for our tracks (2nd and 3rd) was way better, hoping its the same with my new 2012

Currently running the Marmont map and this thing is pretty quick off the bottom, it the 50 tooth too much? able to still keep the front end down?

just put a 50 tooth on my 2012 about an hour ago, stock chain fits good.

• jaro51

Posted February 15, 2012 - 05:35 AM

I went +1 on the rear last year and quite liked that. Was able to just leave it in 3rd except for the longer straights.(Wild Rose MX in Calgary)

• KUSTOMZMAN1

Posted February 15, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll get my Ironman on order!

• rdefonce

Posted February 15, 2012 - 09:58 AM

I went +2 in the rear and love it.. Makes second and third a lot easier to use..

I did the same, +2 up to a 50T Ironman. Much better!
These 450F's seem to be geared quite tall stock.
I rode in Colorado with the 50T rear; it was fine on faster road sections connecting the trails, I could easily cruise 55or 60 not revving much at all!

• YamaLink

Posted February 16, 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'm about 165 before gear. I'll either run +1 or -1 in back depending on the track; sandy, tight, lots of elevation change.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 18, 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm putting a 50 tooth on mine tomorrow. i had a 50 on my 2010 last year and liked being able to stay in 3rd gear most of time and on the fast straights shift to 4th breifly.

With the 48 rear seems like I'm changing from 2nd and 3rd all most constantly. All the tracks I race and ride at are somewhat similar in a way. Lots of turns, fast straight sections and jumps right out of a turn which makes having a 50T much better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.