WR450 ADV bike?

18 replies to this topic
  • n16ht5

Posted January 07, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hey guys, here in WA we just got laws passed to plate dirt bikes again. I am on the fence to get a WR as my main bike.

I have an XR250R + XR650L and they are totally solid bikes, but I would like to replace them with a WR450.

I put a ton of miles on my bikes, my 03 XRL has 37,000. Not sure on the 01 XR250, but its probably around 10,000, although much more has been dirt. Both have only seen valve checks, run like new. I know the WRs are reliable, but I want to make sure I wont be dumping money into one if I ride it everywhere. I plan on running 15/45 or similar gearing for hwy and just stash a cs sprocket in my pocket or get rekluse. Can I expect to ride cross country if I gear it way up and change the oil every 1k?

Also, I have not rode one. My friends have some YZ450s that do well but not a wr450. I dont want to be worn out riding single track here... would a wr250f be better?
here is a trail ride with the YZ guys this week. I rode my little xr.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rCEv3HvQ4&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Thanks for the help

• n16ht5

Posted January 08, 2012 - 04:58 AM

you guys sure have a lot of faith in your bikes...

I guess Ill keep my XRs

• Navaho6

Posted January 08, 2012 - 06:08 AM

I think the WR is definitely the most durable of the 450 enduros. I'm going to put a plate on mine soon and get a new bike for single track. However, I think the WR is too high strung for long distance highway use. I'm sure the proper gearing would smooth things out some. Mine will be used for local dual sport rides of 50 - 100 miles of mostly offroad.

Send me a PM and I can hook you up with two guys who have dual-sported WR450's.

I'm on the fence about selling my TE610 as I just don't do long distance rides anymore. The TE is a fine bike for the kind of riding you want to do. Very smooth, reliable motor, and as capable as any dirtbike if you are strong enough to throw it around and don't mind the weight. I've put 4500 miles on mine in two years and it's been completely trouble-free.

Here are a few discussions on the Wr450 as a dual sport:

http://advrider.com/...highlight=WR450

• redhurricane

Posted January 08, 2012 - 07:20 AM

you guys sure have a lot of faith in your bikes...

I guess Ill keep my XRs

I trust my WR more than any other dirt bike I have owned.

I've ridden a lot of different things with two wheels. I have ridden my WR on the street as well since I am plated. that being said, I prefer to leave the WR to full time dirt duty. If it were me, I'd keep the 650L for dual sport.

• redhurricane

Posted January 08, 2012 - 07:24 AM

here is a trail ride with the YZ guys this week. I rode my little xr.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rCEv3HvQ4&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Thanks for the help

BTW love the mechanical skills at 8:18 or so. :smirk:

• n16ht5

Posted January 08, 2012 - 08:24 AM

I trust my WR more than any other dirt bike I have owned.

I've ridden a lot of different things with two wheels. I have ridden my WR on the street as well since I am plated. that being said, I prefer to leave the WR to full time dirt duty. If it were me, I'd keep the 650L for dual sport.

hmm,thanks.

I think Ill keep the XR650L.. maybe sell the xr250 for a wr250f. I put 10,000 mi on the 650 in thr past 10 months.

thanks for the advice

• n16ht5

Posted January 08, 2012 - 08:27 AM

Navaho, the te610 is way too big for trails in WA, actually dangerous to ride such a big bike in the mountains when the snow melts, you risk going off cliffs. I read all those posts, thank you.. sounds like the wr250 is a better bet

• Navaho6

Posted January 08, 2012 - 09:19 AM

I agree. The TE610 is a handful in anything technical but not nearly as bad as a DR650, KLR650 or stock DRZ400S. However it is imo the best dual sport for easy rides that involve a fair amount of pavement mixed with open trails. We do quite a few of these rides each year and the plated 450's just don't work nearly as well because they are horrible on the highway as is the DRZ400.

If you're going to cover the full spectrum of dual sport riding, ideally you need three bikes - a lightweight plated enduro bike, a middleweight big-bore bike, and a big adventure bike.

Instead of selling my TE, I'm going to put on some 50/50 tires and keep it for the right occasions. I'll plate my '06 WR450 and let the 950 supermoto be my adv. bike. That means I'll have to get a dedicated woods bike. Probably the new WR450.

• n16ht5

Posted January 08, 2012 - 01:08 PM

yeah, I am just going to keep my bikes, stick my head back in the sand and be content :smirk:
Ive taken the XRL to AK and back, and rode Walker Valley with it, so I guess I cant complaign

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Alpha One Nine

Posted January 08, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I plan to plate my WR450 soon but I have no delusions of transforming it into a touring bike. Between the KLR650 and Concours I’m satisfied for long distance touring. I cannot imagine riding more than 100 miles a day on the stock WR seat. I mainly want to be able legally ride on forest service roads in WA and connect to trails via state and US highways for short periods at a time. I hope to have it plated before the Desert 100 weekend in Odessa. Last year I did the dual sport poker run on the KLR and beat it up pretty bad. I think the WR will be a blast on that course this year.

Edited by Alpha One Nine, January 08, 2012 - 06:05 PM.

• E4x4Eric

Posted November 06, 2012 - 08:25 PM

I ride my wr450 50miles a day at 65mph 5 days a week and I am a happy camper. I change the oil once a week.

• GlennR

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:05 AM

I ride my wr450 50miles a day at 65mph 5 days a week and I am a happy camper. I change the oil once a week.

Hey Eric,
About how long have you been riding your WR 5 days a week? What's the farthest you've been on a single day? Just curious.

Mine hasn't been far from home yet...just taking it to town is a "big trip" (20 minutes away!). I figured it would do street okay, but I've just been playing on it so far.

I'd be interested in hearing of folks who've done long trips on a WR.

• mslow

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:05 AM

most of the rides i do are 100+ mile rides per day.
usually they are dual sports with very little if any asphalt
only bitch i have is the unbalanced wheels with the rimlocks on the road sections, trying them balanced for the next event
i do have a supermoto wheelset, just haven't used it yet

• E4x4Eric

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hi Glen,
I have +/- 2000 miles on my bike and the fastest I've been for a good one mile run is 98mph with 15/50 sprokets.

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:03 PM

I did about 400 miles doing a section of the Trans Am Trail in Colorado last July. Including a Jim Beam induced 115 mile run at 2am from Lake City to Montrose, all pavement. The DS rides I do are in the 150-200 mile a day range for 2-3 days. Just put fresh oil in it and change it when you come home. I know guys ride the Baja 1000 with out changing the oil and those bikes are ok.

• johnkol

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:22 PM

You change your oil every 250 miles?

Given that this topic is about the suitability of the WR as an ADV bike, oil change intervals of 250 miles would seem to prohibit you from using it in such a function.

• E4x4Eric

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:41 PM

You change your oil every 250 miles?

Given that this topic is about the suitability of the WR as an ADV bike, oil change intervals of 250 miles would seem to prohibit you from using it in such a function.

Yamalube is cheap here in texas so i change it around 250miles and I do the same to my other Jap bikes. My friend does his at 1000miles on his 04 wr450.

• GlennR

Posted November 08, 2012 - 04:24 AM

I have been getting away more from the street side of dual sporting, and leaning more towards just connecting trails & back home. Oil changes are a little hard to keep up without an odometer. I need to install an hour meter...there's a couple laying around here "somewhere". I've just been guessing, and probably change it about every month or two, which is probably less than 1000 miles.

• E4x4Eric

Posted November 08, 2012 - 05:55 PM

I have the trailtech vapor oin mine and it's working good for me. I do mostly highway with my bike. I have two Harleys and the WR450 is more fun on the highway and that's why I ride it to work all the time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.