Hot start removed why?

8 replies to this topic
  • shuey1

Posted January 05, 2012 - 08:07 PM

I just noticed that the 99 yz400 is missing it's hot start plunger.and the the hole in the head where the JS tube would go is plugged.

Why would anyone do this?

• niles

Posted January 06, 2012 - 12:27 AM

That's how they came from the factory back then.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2012 - 06:35 AM

That's how they came from the factory back then.

No, it's not. :smirk:

There are two possibilities that come to mind:

It was removed because it was stuck and the PO didn't want to replace it (or because he couldn't figure out what it was for).

It was removed because the carb was upgraded and it currently has the hot start either on the side of the carb or on a handlebar lever.

• shuey1

Posted January 06, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Yea there is diffinatly a place for it and its plugged at the head where thehose went in. Any suggestions out there on the Handlebar mount ones?

-What ones
-How Much
-Are they worth it or should i buy a used OEM one from Ebay?

Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2012 - 07:11 AM

There would be a place for it in the head, but unless you have a carb from a 2000 or later that has the hot start plunger built into it, there are no handlebar mounted control kits available.

• shuey1

Posted January 06, 2012 - 08:16 AM

i do have a 99 carb. So can i add a handle bar mount to my carb?
Or will i have to buy a OEM Plunger Style?

Thx

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2012 - 01:32 PM

You need to replace the carb with a later unit if you want handlebar hot start access.

• shuey1

Posted January 06, 2012 - 01:36 PM

Ok, Thats what i was looking for, thanks.:smirk:

• niles

Posted January 08, 2012 - 09:26 PM

"No, it's not. rolls eyes (sarcastic)"

Was too early in the morning when I read this,thought he was talking about the decompression plug.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.